• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The 930 is hit or miss among the 3-gun crowd. Looks like Mossberg is getting serious about playing and fixed the common problems with running the 930 in competition.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I though Jerry worked all his magic on the 930 JM Pro :shrug:

The only big change I really see is the redesigned gas system. Honestly, I guess I haven't put enough rounds through my 930 to run into fouling issues. I've cleaned it a few times, but only because it got wet. The 930 loading port was already opened up a little (compared to a 500, at least). I did a little work on mine, mostly rounding over the edges (although they had been broken over a little from the factory anyway). The still shot at the beginning of the video doesn't make it look as though the loading port has really been wallowed out that much more. I guess the bigger bolt release is a good thing. Personally, I didn't feel the charging handle needed to be any bigger.

But...why the tactical gold accents :rolleye12 When my buddy and I were of age and bought our first shotguns, I got a synthetic stocked 500 with a black trigger. After a brief and foolish affair with a naughty Winchester, he bought a wood stocked 500...with a shiny golden trigger. Boy, did he get teased about being "The man with the Golden Trigger!" :lol2: (hey, what are friends for);)

I'm curious about "the recoil impulse is really soft," and if that applies to slugs too. My 930 feels fine with bird shot (I bought it to compete, so that's mostly what it sees), and reduced recoil slugs are fine too. I put a couple of full power Rem Slugger's through it the other day...and it felt like it might as well have been a 500. :o (or I'm just getting old...and spoiled by occasionally borrowing Katies Versamax ;) )

Also...in the cover shot for the video...why does it look like it's missing a pin above the trigger? :eek:

I don't yet feel the need to trade my 930 in for one...but I guess it's good to see them innovate and respond to the consumer's needs. Were the changes big enough to warrant a whole new product number, rather than an "enhanced" or "gen2" :shrug:

I wonder if this is going to affect the rest of the 930 (i.e. non-competition) line? (I also wonder how well rattle can Rustoleum will stick to the gold :tap:)

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    But...why the tactical gold accents

They do have a black multicam version with black accents, so if someone wanted the standard version and black accents they could probably pick them up. There will probably be people who want the multicam with gold accents.

I looked at the 930 JM models and figured I would end up picking one up, thinking I’ll go with the 940 now unless the old ones drop in price.

Attachments

• B1C7FC52-0B5D-4468-BF86-76FBA86D491C.jpg
      B1C7FC52-0B5D-4468-BF86-76FBA86D491C.jpg
      12.5 KB · Views: 1,155

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Saw pics of the 940 and just couldn’t get beyond all the bling. Not my style. Interested to here real world reviews from users in coming months. Picked up a as new 930 from a MDS member just the other day. Can’t wait to try it out

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I look forward to seeing and giving one of these a test run. At the end of the day, it is still a Mossberg and I noticed they didn't say anything about fixing the cycling issues. Mine must have been built on a Friday afternoon. I remember driving home a match one time and bragging to my friend how I didn't have any issues with it "that" day. Shotguns are and always will be, Buy Once, Cry Once and my biased opinion says that there will likely be more crying than anything else with this thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom