• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BartExp

Ultimate Member
    Question, do you have any idea why they are roosting there? Have you call DNR and asked for help from them?

Good thought. One theory is that it is a new development and it was their stomping ground. We are not full time there yet. I think once we are there on a daily basis, they will move on. Also, ours was the last house on the street until about a month ago as they continued building down our street.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Know nothing about air rifles. Is there any recommendations on one that is non lethal to turkey vultures, but would send them on their way?

After a slingshot (a very viable recommendation, IME! - can get them near the checkout at ACE hardwares ‘round our parts or, WalMart; and with varying sizes of projectiles) probably any BB gun or pellet gun you can pickup at WalMart.

We had a similar problem and spent 2 years, a TON of our time and some $ before taking a WAG at what turned out to be THE SOLUTION for us.

First, we tried the BB gun route. Besides the fact it involved us being outside in the mornings and evenings when we would’ve liked to be relaxing, it never had any lasting effect. Scratch.

Then we tried noise. That did wonders for pushing the dog over the edge in a form of punishment (to him) that he’d done nothing to deserve. Scratch.

So, we consulted with our local university and Fish n Wildlife folks (nice folks by the way). “Suspend helium filled Mylar balloons with large dots (research by a university in VA decades ago determined some avians (crows in particular) see these “circle inside a circle” as “eyes of larger predators” and often succeed.

Not in our case (but, it sure got the neighbors talking! :lol2:

Next, “hang those 3” and 4” wide by 6-ft long flashy reflective Mylar “twister ribbons” from the bottom of the floating balloons.”

Still no luck but, by now the clerks at all the local Dollar Generals and Dollar Trees within a 10-mile radius of the lake all know and greet us by first name! :sad20:

Finally, out of desperation, we tried A BUNCH (a DOZEN) of these and, ever since, PROBLEM SOLVED AND NO MORE BIRDS!!!! :party29::party29::party29::party29:

https://www.amazon.com/Realistic-Rubber-Black-Snake-Brandon/dp/B06Y3YJKSM

Actually, we only ordered two at first. Once we put them on one part of the roof and saw they were effective, we went all in, so to speak.

Now, one important point: TELL VISITORS about the situation - and the solution - BEFORE THEY ARRIVE and,

Most important of all: REMOVE THE SOLUTIONS PRIOR TO ARRIVAL OF VISITING YOUNG GRANDCHILDREN!!!!! :lol:

We didn’t leave them up there forever but, the 2nd year we did make sure they were up there ahead of warm weather. That seemed to have done the trick as it appears they have found happier roosting elsewhere!

On a serious note, Best o’ Success (we know there is often no humor in this when you’re livin’ it!) :thumbsup:

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    I may know someone who used a paint ball gun to persuade some vultures from hanging out on their roof.

The color of the pellets does not matter as the colors tend to not show up on the black canvas on which it is painted.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Good thought. One theory is that it is a new development and it was their stomping ground. We are not full time there yet. I think once we are there on a daily basis, they will move on. Also, ours was the last house on the street until about a month ago as they continued building down our street.

Don't count on that at all! After they decided our development was worth a visit, a couple of them decided to roost in my neighbor's shed. My air pistol took care of that notion, but they still come back, land in the street if there is a corpse to eat, and DEFY cars to run them over.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    A low power Airsoft Electric gun. They are cheap, quiet and most of the inexpensive ones you can barely feel through clothes, though are not generally very accurate. Biodegradable BB's for it disappear fairly quickly too. Though could hurt them if it hits them in the eye/neck. (If your not familiar, airsoft bb's are 6mm diameter and really light, usually .18 to .3 grams) Most sporting goods stores carry them, well ones that sell firearms/etc. And some Walmarts have them.

A neighbor of mine uses one to shoo away raccoons from their trash area, says it works well.

I bought this a few years ago so my dad could enjoy pestering the backyard pests: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B4QVMA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It isn't exactly cheap, but looks and feels real enough to get you shot and full auto is still a lot of fun even if it's just plastic BB's:party29: The projectiles are slow enough to be seen, so you can walk your rounds onto the target.

Shooting from the ground to the roof would certainly make the birds feel unwelcomed, but without actually wounding them. The BB's are imparted with a backspin to help them "fly" (which makes a really weird trajectory), but they are so light and retain so little energy that I doubt even a hit squarely in the eye would do permanent damage at that range. The also wouldn't damage the roof...or all the lawn ornaments that suddenly looked like targets ;)

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Bottle rockets, my sister has the same issue. One of them fell into the chimney and I had to rescue it. Fortunately it was pretty weak and tired so it came out of the flue peacefully. They are federally protected under the migratory bird act. You can get a permit to kill them but I'm not sure how easy that will be to get. Also you could try the bird deterrent spike strips.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Birds gotta be somewhere, and they like to hang out in big groups . They randomly change hang outs at any time . You just think there was causation, they were just bored, looking for the next new place .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom