Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    DC is number 2.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2017/01/03/baltimore-d-c-rank-1-and-2-on-orkins-bed-bugs-cities-list/

The ranking, seen below, includes both residential and commercial treatments.
    1.Baltimore (+9)
    2.Washington, D.C. (+1)
    3.Chicago (-2)
    4.New York
    5.Columbus, Ohio
    6.Los Angeles (-4)
    7.Detroit
    8.Cincinnati
    9.Philadelphia (-3)
    10.San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose (+4)

I knew those cities were full of parasites living off of people. I now know they have bedbugs too.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    And LaurHell, Merriland is #13...every Illegal household receives an allotment of 669 bugs per munth with their food chits, too.

Lew-Ranger63

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I've had them a couple times. Wouldn't wish it upon anybody. Not fun...

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Bed bugs aren't bad compared to their other current and former number ones - Murders, herion addiction, STDs, and illiteracy.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011

Attachments

• 133235985845.jpg
      133235985845.jpg
      53.5 KB · Views: 718

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Nasty! How does one get an infestation and more importantly.... make them go away?

They are hitchhikers. Suitcases, clothing, purses, bags, bodies, etc... are all vessels for them. Their tiny size allows them to tuck into tiny, tiny places.

They reproduce fast. They can hide in the crevices of whatever furniture is around, behind electric outlet faceplates, and even the cracks in your hardwood floors... Their bites are like those of mosquitos in that they inject an anesthetic that cancels any pain or feeling. The red, flat welts they leave take a few days to appear and usually appear in lines of 3.

The bugs are resistant to MANY pesticides, but some do work. DDT nearly wiped them out in the US years ago, but their numbers surged with the banning of it and the increase of international travel. Exterminators use heat, diatomaceous earth, and chemical pesticides to kill them. Treatment can take weeks...

A neighbor in the apartment below ours had them. Their infestation was so bad, that the bugs came up through the walls and floors from downstairs into our bed room. They made home in our bed frame and dined on me nightly for a few weeks before I figured out what was going on. It was awful.

Every piece of laundry must be washed daily. Furniture must be checked for them and their eggs. We had to discard of a few blankets and our bed frame. Neighbors lost a ton of stuff -- even picture frames on their walls were infested.

hornbakerfella

Oct 6, 2016
    God's Country
    They are hitchhikers. Suitcases, clothing, purses, bags, bodies, etc... are all vessels for them. Their tiny size allows them to tuck into tiny, tiny places.

They reproduce fast. They can hide in the crevices of whatever furniture is around, behind electric outlet faceplates, and even the cracks in your hardwood floors... Their bites are like those of mosquitos in that they inject an anesthetic that cancels any pain or feeling. The red, flat welts they leave take a few days to appear and usually appear in lines of 3.

The bugs are resistant to MANY pesticides, but some do work. DDT nearly wiped them out in the US years ago, but their numbers surged with the banning of it and the increase of international travel. Exterminators use heat, diatomaceous earth, and chemical pesticides to kill them. Treatment can take weeks...

A neighbor in the apartment below ours had them. Their infestation was so bad, that the bugs came up through the walls and floors from downstairs into our bed room. They made home in our bed frame and dined on me nightly for a few weeks before I figured out what was going on. It was awful.

Every piece of laundry must be washed daily. Furniture must be checked for them and their eggs. We had to discard of a few blankets and our bed frame. Neighbors lost a ton of stuff -- even picture frames on their walls were infested.

I would want to just burn my house down and start over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I have not verified this - I was searching for a reference. But I've heard that if you let your house stay below freezing for 3 consecutive days unoccupied then you can get rid of them. I'm assuming the house would have to be empty of people - I mean - you can't be in there feeding them during that time.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I have not verified this - I was searching for a reference. But I've heard that if you let your house stay below freezing for 3 consecutive days unoccupied then you can get rid of them. I'm assuming the house would have to be empty of people - I mean - you can't be in there feeding them during that time.
    I've never heard this.

These things can survive off of a SINGLE bite for over A YEAR.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    I'm an exterminator, there's several ways to get rid of them. You don't have to burn your house down or freeze it lol.

And they can live for a year without a meal, so it must be treated with pesticides.

Even with an enthoterm treatment, which is heating the house up to at least 120* for 3 hours, pesticides are used in conjunction.

In a minor infestation it can be remedied with a few certain insecticides and special mattress covers.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I'm an exterminator, there's several ways to get rid of them. You don't have to burn your house down or freeze it lol.

And they can live for a year without a meal, so it must be treated with pesticides.

Even with an enthoterm treatment, which is heating the house up to at least 120* for 3 hours, pesticides are used in conjunction.

In a minor infestation it can be remedied with a few certain insecticides and special mattress covers.

Hats off for the work you do.

I'm paranoid, so mattress covers in all the beds in my house.

GodOfVice

Banned
    BANNED!!!

Good to know info for just in case! Can the chemicals be bought OTC?

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    Hats off for the work you do.

I'm paranoid, so mattress covers in all the beds in my house.

That's not paranoid, that's realistic. They're everywhere now. Mine all have covers, and I refuse to take work clothes into the house. They go into a tote that's sealed and gets taken straight down to the washer once a week. Area around the washer is also treated with insecticide just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom