• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    As many know FN has discontinued the High Power, but good news seemed to come from Turkey, the Turkish gun manufacturer Tisas, known for making a reasonably priced reasonable reliable 1911, started making and exporting their clone of the High Power; first to Canada and now to the US.

Seems like although the got the 1911 down right, they can't make the High Power reliably to save themselves. Problem #1 was a poorly shaped and brittle extractor. The problem now becoming apparent is a poorly made sear spring that won't retain its stiffness.

FN has ceased shipping replacement parts to Browning and Tisas is only shipping complete guns, no replacement parts.

An aftermaket company has shown up just in the nick of time and is filling in the market niche. BHSpringSolutions.com

I was excited about the Tisas High Power at first, but I can buy 2 used Isreali Kareen's for the price of a Tisas HP and the parts needed to make the new gun reliable.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Turk (FEG) hipowers who would have thought? Is it the same factory? I have had ups and downs with Turk guns.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    When I worked in the gun industry my company worked for a few different Turkish firms over the years. Metal treatment is often an issue with them. They do make some good firearms and they can work Walnut like nobody's business on a shotgun stock. But some of their lower priced guns, oh my, run for the hills. After seeing things like, for instance, the difficulty one company had just making a pump shotgun that required the action to be closed before firing, I'm not surprised they would have trouble pulling off something as complex a project as a Hi Power.

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    Turk (FEG) hipowers who would have thought? Is it the same factory? I have had ups and downs with Turk guns.

FEG was in Hungary and they have been out of business ~20 years.

Most actual reviews of the Tisas Hi Power clones have been pretty positive.

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    No worries.

I kind of have a love/hate relationship with the FEG hi-powers.

They were "old school" - polished blue, small sights, small safety, rowel hammer. And they were not too spendy.

I remember seeing them in the "Shotgun News" for $219 each for new production FEG PJK-9 HP's. They got good reviews and I had an FFL that would do $5 xfers and part of me wishes I had bought 10 of them.

When I did get around to buying one at retail at the end of the production run it didn't work out. Through a comedy of errors, foolishness and stupidity I wound up with a dog that I think was actually a used return. It had issues that were never overcome.

At some point I finally said "F*** it" and plunked down the $$ for a genuine MKIII Browning HP. That certainly was a solution to the twitchy FEG - the Browning has become my all time favorite, never sell it pistol.

Had the FEG worked out, I would not have what I consider the true "wondergun."

The Tisas seems interesting but with the real deal already in the safe I can't justify buying it just for grins. Might be different if I were outside looking in. I hope they get the teething problems worked out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom