• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DevinRPD

May 3, 2017
    Talbot
    Looking to do my first form 1 for an SBR and want a high quality ambi lower

Spikes Tactical was going to be my first choice but since im spending $200 on a tax stamp i figured i might as well go with ambi controls

Im familiar with LWRC and love their ambi setup, but Im looking at other stripped lower options first before shelling out $600 for their completed rifle lower

I know of the American Defense, Ranier, and Aero Precision ambi lowers and all seem high quality but Im also wondering what other forged options are out there

(I prefer forged lowers only because i like holding the grip as high as possible and billet trigger guards really seem to dig into my middle finger so the replaceable trigger guards have really helped that. not a big deal, just personal preference)

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    You could go mostly ambi without an ambi lower. I'm a lefty and I have a Magpul BAD lever and an ambi selector. If you look at the picture below, you'll see a little lever just ahead of the trigger. The BAD lever lets me use my right thumb to engage/disengage the bolt catch. I'm an old M16 guy so I'm used to dropping the mag with my right thumb.
    3b0e482903d53373743744d3e2ad9b77.jpg

DevinRPD

May 3, 2017
    Talbot
    You could go mostly ambi without an ambi lower. I'm a lefty and I have a Magpul BAD lever and an ambi selector. If you look at the picture below, you'll see a little lever just ahead of the trigger. The BAD lever lets me use my right thumb to engage/disengage the bolt catch. I'm an old M16 guy so I'm used to dropping the mag with my right thumb.
    3b0e482903d53373743744d3e2ad9b77.jpg

Ive used that same one on my 300 blackout pistol. its definitely a nice option to have but id rather have something less obtrusive for a dedicated SBR lower

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I did full ambi lower on my Black Rain Ordnance Build, went with the norgon ambi mag release, bad lever and ambi safety, and I am a righty, use the left to drop and change and the right trigger finger to drop the bolt.

DevinRPD

May 3, 2017
    Talbot
    I did full ambi lower on my Black Rain Ordnance Build, went with the norgon ambi mag release, bad lever and ambi safety, and I am a righty, use the left to drop and change and the right trigger finger to drop the bolt.

yeah the levers are fine, but if i figure if im gonna get a high quality lower then i might as well get one with ambi controls built into it

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    So I'm a lefty as well... LWRC and others are nice, and although not a forged - the Radian lowers get my nod. I did mine as a SBR as well and the convenient thing is that you can get it engraved inside the flared magwell. Keep it clean and pretty. There's enough room for a book in those lips :D.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    So I'm a lefty as well... LWRC and others are nice, and although not a forged - the Radian lowers get my nod. I did mine as a SBR as well and the convenient thing is that you can get it engraved inside the flared magwell. Keep it clean and pretty. There's enough room for a book in those lips :D.

Reference pic for you.

38b54b81f7def4e42bf4a1d9754cfbd1.jpg

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Most add-on ambi controls have drawbacks, some worse than others, also depends on control layout, and if you want EVERYTHING ambi. I'm a righty, but love short-throw ambi selectors, easy enough with any lower, an ambi bolt release is really nice to speed mag changes, but unless you are a lefty an ambi mag release adds complexity and significantly reduces your choices. I have built on Mega, Rainier, and Lancer, all are excellent, Mega has awesome monolith uppers, Rainier has an ambi mag release, the Lancer is forged, and has interchangeable magwells.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Most add-on ambi controls have drawbacks, some worse than others, also depends on control layout, and if you want EVERYTHING ambi. I'm a righty, but love short-throw ambi selectors, easy enough with any lower, an ambi bolt release is really nice to speed mag changes, but unless you are a lefty an ambi mag release adds complexity and significantly reduces your choices. I have built on Mega, Rainier, and Lancer, all are excellent, Mega has awesome monolith uppers, Rainier has an ambi mag release, the Lancer is forged, and has interchangeable magwells.

You would be hard-pressed to find one of my ARs without 60° ambi selectors. :thumbsup:

DevinRPD

May 3, 2017
    Talbot

Thats the kind of suggestion i was looking for lol thanks

DevinRPD

May 3, 2017
    Talbot
    The problem I have with all of these is all the proprietary parts in them. Lots of hassle for a little convenience IMHO. But hey, who am I to judge?

https://radianweapons.com/receivers/lowers/lower-receiver

http://www.megaarms.com/ar-15/lower-receivers/billet-lowers/gtr-3h-ambi/

https://www.cmttac.com/image/cache/data/AMBI LWR ONLY RS-800x800.jpg

yeah proprietary parts are definitely a concern but if its quality then there should be a low chance of it breaking :whack: springs should be easy enough to DIY if the company goes under

that cmt is pretty clean for a reasonable price too

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom