• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    I didn’t think that I was comparing between semi auto and revolvers pistols. I was only speaking in big bore pistols. Sorry for the confusion.

All just pulling your leg. Although people like to think of "pistol" as being autoloaders vice revolvers, the word goes back to before autoloaders or revolvers existed. The term was used for "Horse Pistols" and "Pocket Pistols" long before semis or revolvers existed.
    Colt Dragoon revolvers were Horse Pistols and the 1848, 1849, and 1860 colt pocket pistols were revolvers.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Colt called their cap and ball revolvers "Revolving Pistols." That was my allusion.

People get a little silly about terminology. Revolvers are pistols.

I'm amused by the old British habit of calling any pistol a "revolver," even a self loading pistol like a Luger, Hi Power, or 1911. The Brits would gleefully call them revolvers! What a wacky bunch! They drive on the wrong side of the road, too, didya know? And they spell jail "gaol" and surgeon chirurgeon.

Just a week or two ago I saw something written by an American "journalist" where he called a self loading pistol a "revolver." He probably has a handlebar mustache and wears a bowler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom