• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Meh. Many untrained shooters out there killing people. It's not luck and it's not their awesome training.

Instinct point and shoot rules the day for the typical shooting. For anyone. Novice or expert.

Standing up and making a head shot while shooting between two seated people in front of the target, that's a different thing which requires a modicum of skill.

People get shot placement pretty spot on the first time out of the starting gate.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Meh. Many untrained shooters out there killing people. It's not luck and it's not their awesome training.

Instinct point and shoot rules the day for the typical shooting. For anyone. Novice or expert.

Standing up and making a head shot while shooting between two seated people in front of the target, that's a different thing which requires a modicum of skill.

People get shot placement pretty spot on the first time out of the starting gate.
    What do you know...anyhow?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Don't encourage me or I'll post more.:D

Here is something I wrote that may help some people.
    Shooting Basics

Competitive shooting is the safest competitive sport. That statement will cause some people a lot of angst but challenge them to prove you are wrong because they can’t, at organized competitions injuries are virtually nonexistent.

Some basics a lot of shooters were never taught but should at least consider (Google for more information):
    (Not everyone will agree with what I say and I am not interested in starting a flame war so take it or leave it YMMV)

Shoot from your dominant eye even if it differs from your dominate hand. Eye dominance is important in any visually controlled activity. Shooting a gun, a bow, a photograph or any other similar activity will ultimately be done best from the dominant eye. As you go to higher levels in the shooting ranks you will find fewer cross dominant winners and at the Olympics none are cross dominant.

Shoot with both eyes open because the same amount of light reaching your eyes reduces eye fatigue and improves visual acuity. If you are like me and have a problem with double images use a blinder or put a small piece of tape on your shooting glasses of your non-dominate eye.

Learn what a good, and legal if competing, shooting position is. Build your shooting position using bone support (there is a reason precision shooters have similar positions), muscles get tired and start to quiver but bones are solid. When you build your position check your Natural Point Of Aim. What that is and how to do it:
    https://www.nrafamily.org/articles/2016/6/18/make-natural-point-of-aim-work-for-you/

Shooting is mostly mental knowing what to do and when to do it are basic. Controlling stress and putting that bad shot out of your mind while focusing on the next shot are the hard parts.

As in any athletic endeavor health and physical conditioning are important. Want to be a better shot? Eat, drink, and exercise responsibly.

Finally practice, practice, practice; can’t get to the range or can’t afford the ammo then dry fire or get a pellet gun, practice building your position with no gun or a dummy even a broomstick. Mental training thinking through a shot or a match can be done any time anywhere you have a few free minutes. Set a schedule and train: every day, or three times a week, or once a month you will get back what you put in. Put in little effort and receive little gain more effort more gain. Study the references learn everything you can, some is good some is bad but as you learn and try different things you will find what works for you.

There are a number of helpful references at the site the natural point of aim link came from. Here is the link to the index pages:
    https://www.nrafamily.org/basic-instruction/

Edit: Something I should add to my write up is Follow Through. Keep your gun in position and the sights aligned until the bullet reaches the target. Many new shooters lift their head to see what the hit or didn't, follow through is just as important in shooting as in baseball or football.

Last edited:

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Enough to know that I don't know anything. Life is easier that way. :)

I've always admired your innate ability to judge the sexual orientation of my firearms collection. I'd have never guessed that so many of them were so confused and not what I thought they were. THAT takes skill.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD

Yes, the "I'm a great shot" conversation goes awry when you have them do a dozen push ups before shooting free hand...

I notice it on video games. Have an Oh shit moment, fear imminent death and bullet placement is the last thing you're thinking about. Pray and spray more the spray and pray.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Yes, the "I'm a great shot" conversation goes awry when you have them do a dozen push ups before shooting free hand...

I notice it on video games. Have an Oh shit moment, fear imminent death and bullet placement is the last thing you're thinking about. Pray and spray more the spray and pray.
    One thing I've learned is to use both hands. Unless physically you cannot.
    People mess up trying to shoot while moving. That's nearly impossible to do when the target is also moving. Unless round are coming your way, you can stop and take a shot and your hit ratio goes up a gazillion percent.
    That's why force on force is great training because you realize the threat is missing shots because he's moving and trying to shoot. You are in the fight. Stop, shoot, and end the fight. I'm not saying you have to have balls of steel, but you need balls of steel and situational clarity.
    The people who say "you can't say what you'd do in that situation" are the ones whom that rings true for.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Aim small, miss small.

Attachments

• untitledrats.jpg
      untitledrats.jpg
      42.8 KB · Views: 169

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    In virtually every sport, it is 10% the equipment and 90% the individual.

Back when I shot USPSA a lot, I took a 3 day course with Ron Avery. I went from a mid pack C shooter to a top of the pack B shooter. People questioned how I got so much better from one season to the other. I told them. And told them the course was $450. TO A PERSON, their response was, "That is too much," at which time, they wanted to show me their newest gadget for their pistol to make them score higher.

When I shot college rifle team, the 9 ring was 0.22" diameter. The 10 ring was a dot in the center of the 9 ring. Our top shooter averaged in the high 290s for 3 position (max possible score was 300). Me, I was a 190 - 210 shooter. Same rifles, same ammo.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    It’s a military thing. Rifles, pistols, and revolvers are not “guns”, they are rifles, pistols and revolvers.
    Picture a recruit holding a rifle in one hand and grasping his genitalia with the other. “ This is my rifle, this is my gun. One is for shooting, the other’s for fun”
    DocAitch

Casey39r

BANNED!!!
    Mar 27, 2018
    Maryland
    It’s a military thing. Rifles, pistols, and revolvers are not “guns”, they are rifles, pistols and revolvers.
    Picture a recruit holding a rifle in one hand and grasping his genitalia with the other. “ This is my rifle, this is my gun. One is for shooting, the other’s for fun”
    DocAitch

Yes, you are correct. On an M1 Tank, you have the Main "Gun" (120mm) then you have a 7.61 coax for anti-personnel them you have and M2 mg for equipment like LBE, canteens, light vehicles......and so on.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom