• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Really, why are there so many rules about transporting to the range?

Because it's part of the antis' anti-gun strategy to kill off gun culture and control you by holding the threat of prosecution over your head if you step one inch out of line.

Imagine if people were afraid to speak and exercise their First Amendment rights if the gov't held the threat of prosecution and jail over your head if you say the wrong thing, but you're not sure in advance what is allowed and what isn't.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What Jim said.

Mess up on transport, get charged under 4-203 , and become a Prohibited Person .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The rules about the * Methods * of transport aren't bad, and are less restrictive than FOPA . It's the * allowable reasons * and * approved destinations* that are the b@$!#.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I've always considered that transporting is like the Fight Club's first rule.

I imagine just about all of us have made a side trip while we were either going to or from the range. My concern is what if something goes horribly wrong? Like my vehicle gets totaled? Several years ago I was in a rear-end accident that resulted in a trip to the ER for me (I was hit by a woman driving and talking on her cell phone), and a trip to the impound lot for my car. My car was towed and a full inventory was taken. No firearms, but there was a case of ammo and related shooting supplies. I was fine (no permanent injury), and had no legal issues, and that's the way it should be. IMO the issue isn't so much about the legality of what's in the car at that point, but what the LEO who responds THINKS is legal.

It's not going to be as much a question of law as how the officer handles it. I would like to think that the vast majority of LEOs would be supportive (and that includes all of the LEOs I know personally), and probably more curious about what I had than about jamming me up for being a block or two off the beeline between home and the range. It's the one LEO who's having a bad day, maybe a rookie trying to make his bones, or some other less than gun supportive situation that worries me. Even if I prevail in court (if it even got that far), the hassle and expense of going through the process concerns me.

And this, my friends, is the definition of BGOS. Welcome to Maryland.

HWB3

Jan 18, 2017
    Ellicott City
    I agree with rsemorjr that common sense is the guide. I never stop with guns in the vehicle where I cannot keep an eye on the vehicle while eating lunch.

blankford

Apr 29, 2015
    Bel Air
    I'm not saying driving all over town with it, but stopping for gas or running into a 7-11 on the way to/from the range is not prohibited. Do you really think if you had your range bag and targets in your vehicle that you'd be arrested/charged because you stopped for gas? Sorry but those who say you can't make any stops whatsoever are suffering from BGOS.
    BTW, I'm not advocating transporting outside the law and keeping a handgun in your car.

BGOS?

I can tell you this much...

I went to work many days & took my guns to go to the gun range after work...

Magazines were empty...

Guns & ammo were in the same range bag...

The guns were locked in my trunk...

I parked my car on the company parking lot (a no guns allowed company)...

AND MOST IMPORTANT: I never told anybody that I had my guns in the car or that I was going shooting...

^^^ Yup.

I personally make it a point to go to the range and right back. Stopping for gas is one thing but I'd be more afraid of someone breaking into my car. When I leave tthe range I make it a point to go right home normally taking a different routejust to be sure I'm not being followed but maybe I'm overly cautious.

I don't know man, is your last name Bond? Plus, where are you shooting that people would follow you home to try and rob you?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I'm not saying driving all over town with it, but stopping for gas or running into a 7-11 on the way to/from the range is not prohibited. Do you really think if you had your range bag and targets in your vehicle that you'd be arrested/charged because you stopped for gas? Sorry but those who say you can't make any stops whatsoever are suffering from BGOS.
    BTW, I'm not advocating transporting outside the law and keeping a handgun in your car.
    I don't disagree, but a member here had his firearm confiscated by a Mo Co officer who noticed his range badge during a traffic stop.

Just pointing out you shouldn't say it can't happen.

Clearly it can.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I don't disagree, but a member here had his firearm confiscated by a Mo Co officer who noticed his range badge during a traffic stop.

Just pointing out you shouldn't say it can't happen.

Clearly it can.

I didn't say it couldn't happen, I just said I didn't think it would. What was he charged with? Did he sue MCPD? Did the member here get his firearm back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    IIRC He was not charged, because he had not violated any law. But had to go through the hassle of getting the firearm back. Simply because he had his range badge around his neck. I believe it happened in Germantown.

I was simply pointing out that you cannot predict with any certainty the idiocy of people in MD.

siggirl1911

Dec 6, 2016
    Baltimore co.
    BGOS?

^^^ Yup.

I don't know man, is your last name Bond? Plus, where are you shooting that people would follow you home to try and rob you?

There were reports of people being followed from on target last summer and waiting for them to stop and break into their cars to steal their guns. Over cautious maybe but I won't be taking the chance of it happening to me

Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    When I go to Delmarva sporting clays to shoot for the day I have to stop for gas and to pee. So I guess I just have to take my chances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom