• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    How do you aim this thing? Are you supposed to put the dot on the front sight bead and line them both up on the target? I can't hit s#@t with this thing.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Look at the target, shoulder the rifle. The dot will superimpose itself on the target. The impact will be where the dot is at the distance you zero the optic. Red dots are specifically made to focus on the target rather than the sights.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I have several of the Trijicon Reflex sights with the triangular "dot". I tend to set mine up so that the tip of the triangle is the impact point at 100 yards.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    So just ignore where the red dot is in relation to the front iron sight?

I always co-witness my sights(iron) to the red dot once the red dot has been zerowed. I usually zero my dots at 50 yds, but that's just preference. Set yours wherever you feel comfortable. Co-witnessing can be done sitting on your couch at home if you want. Just move the sights(iron) to the dot.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I always co-witness my sights(iron) to the red dot once the red dot has been zerowed. I usually zero my dots at 50 yds, but that's just preference. Set yours wherever you feel comfortable. Co-witnessing can be done sitting on your couch at home if you want. Just move the sights(iron) to the dot.

Same here.

50 yds is a great distance for a variety of situations from what I've been told.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Yes on all counts. There is another good reason to zero at 50 yards; from 25 yards to 200 meters (yes meters) you get a nice flat trajectory (with a 3,000 fps bullet) that varies something like 3 inches.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    So the only reason you need to zero the irons separately from the red dot is because you MUST cowitness the sights if you want to be able to put them on top of one another. The red dot has to be at the correct height.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The red dot may or may not be co witnessed with iron sights.

The red dot could be zeroed at same or different distance as iron sights, user preference .

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The red dot may or may not be co witnessed with iron sights.

The red dot could be zeroed at same or different distance as iron sights, user preference .

Very true. Then there's 1/3 co-witness. Being a moderate dyslexic and barely able to walk and chew gum, I prefer absolute co-witness...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom