• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4rcefedmkiv

Aug 6, 2010
    Arnold, MD
    Not sure where to post this but did a brief search and couldn't find an answer. I’m interested in shipping a Glock frame out for stippling and unsure how to do so. Anyone familiar with the procedure or have done this? The company is an FFL and it just says to use UPS or Fedex on their website but that seems to easy. Plus walking into a shipping store and giving them a pistol lower makes me kinda uneasy. Thanks in advance.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Shipping firearms is pretty simple, but I think pistols must go 2nd day by USPS if I remember correctly.

Go to the USPS web site and look up how to ship pistols. It surprisingly easy.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Shipping firearms is pretty simple, but I think pistols must go 2nd day by USPS if I remember correctly.

Go to the USPS web site and look up how to ship pistols. It surprisingly easy.

Nonlicensees can't send handguns by USPS. They must use something like UPS or FedEx. FedEx Ground won't take handguns. UPS and FedEx Express require next day by their own regulations.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    You're better off getting an ffl to mail it for you. Fedex and ups will ONLY ship them next day air and they usually want like 90 bucks for it.

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    UPS

Getting Your Firearm Shipment to UPS

Firearms (including handguns) may be shipped only through a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account (specifically, Daily Pickup, Daily On-Route Pickup, UPS Smart Pickup®, and Day-Specific Pickup), or through a UPS Customer Center (counters at UPS operational facilities). Note: Firearms (including handguns) are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes or UPS On-Call Pickup®, and may not be tendered to or dropped off at locations of The UPS Store®, any third party retailer, or any UPS Access Point™ location.

When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk.

Just remember you cannot use the "UPS Store".

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Is it a handgun though? I don't think it is. The frame by itself doesn't meet the definition of a handgun. It is a firearm still.

k9guy

Feb 12, 2011
    Just an FYI... Antietam Firearms in Funkstown, MD does amazing stippling work in-house. You may want to check out their Facebook page to see examples.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I've done it via UPS hub (for the same reason....stippling by Gun Grip Customs in NC) twice. It was easy and it most certainly wasn't $90 like someone above said. I seem to remember it being closer to $50. I had it all boxed up and ready to go, went to the computer kiosk and did my thing, the lady there answered any/all questions I had. This was at the hub in Sparks. Thankfully, it was after they busted the guy who had a bunch of stolen handguns taped to his leg!

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    shipping via a ffl can be cheap, if the ffl doesn't rape you with their fee, because they can use usps flat rate boxes.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I've done it via UPS hub (for the same reason....stippling by Gun Grip Customs in NC) twice. It was easy and it most certainly wasn't $90 like someone above said. I seem to remember it being closer to $50. I had it all boxed up and ready to go, went to the computer kiosk and did my thing, the lady there answered any/all questions I had. This was at the hub in Sparks. Thankfully, it was after they busted the guy who had a bunch of stolen handguns taped to his leg!

I had a pistol to return last year. I took it to the ups hub pre packaged and they wanted 90 dollars to ship it. I wasnt guessing at the price.

See the quote i just did for a pistol sized box about 3 pounds from md to ohio.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-11-05-01-04-50.jpg
      Screenshot_2019-11-05-01-04-50.jpg
      41.7 KB · Views: 184

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Is it a handgun though? I don't think it is. The frame by itself doesn't meet the definition of a handgun. It is a firearm still.

Does it have the serial number?

If Yes, then it is a handgun.

If No, then it is a handgun part.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010

Does it have the serial number?

If Yes, then it is a handgun.

If No, then it is a handgun part.

Beat me to it... :thumbsup:

The stripped Glock frame with nothing else attached to it is the serialized part. And therefore... is, by ATF Rule, the handgun.

The last HG I shipped was via FEDEX out and returned via UPS. But it was also shipped using an RA issued by the manufacturer.

So... OP, I would check with the MDS IP FFLs for cost of shipping. Let them ship it out. The receiving FFL can ship it back to you via UPS.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Let's try this, if you were to transfer via FFL a stripped Glock lower, which box for section B 16 on the 4473 should the FFL check?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom