• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    What is the most affordable places to get 10 gauge ammo in lead? I have an old 10 gauge goose gun that is cut down and want to use it as the backup guy for predator hunting. Looking for anything from No 2 to 00 buck. Some of this ammo at $2.50 a shot just looks like a waste of money.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    What is the most affordable places to get 10 gauge ammo in lead? I have an old 10 gauge goose gun that is cut down and want to use it as the backup guy for predator hunting. Looking for anything from No 2 to 00 buck. Some of this ammo at $2.50 a shot just looks like a waste of money.

Your question made me curious.

I'm seeing pretty much what you are with prices, on both the Ammoseek and Gunbot listing of retailers. Seems like usage is driving prices with 10ga. as would be expected, with steel shot for waterfowl primarily as the 10's biggest niche. Then you have turkey loads in lead 4 and 5 shot accounting for what comparatively limited lead volume you're going to see in 10ga. Step outside of those 2 primary usage categories, and prices on other loads like deuces and buckshot do indeed become dear.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    You can buy a set if 10ga-12ga reducers they’re a bit of a pain to get the spent shells out of but will let you blast away cheap 12ga ammo. You can get them online or I’ve seen Clyde’s carrying them.

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    You can buy a set if 10ga-12ga reducers they’re a bit of a pain to get the spent shells out of but will let you blast away cheap 12ga ammo. You can get them online or I’ve seen Clyde’s carrying them.

I never heard of reducers like this. I googled it and there are a lot of others. Pretty neat, thanks.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Answer #1 - As above , for use only in actual shots at relevant critters , just buy a box, and get several years out of it .

Answer #2 - If you'll be shooting it a fair amount , it would be a quick return on investment to reload for it .

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I got the 10 gauge for cheap and want to use it as a predator gun. 10 ga have the longer shot string for additional range. 12 gauge reducer and I might as well use my baikal.

I was just looking got more affordable solutions for fox and coyote loads, in 10ga. when we would go out, my buddy is the rifle shooter and I would be the backup guy. Sometimes they run through and won't stop and he can't get a bead on them with the rifle. 18 30 caliber balls will stop them ;)

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    What kind of distance are we talking I have a nice ported coyote choke from Carlson’s which patterns buck really tight. I would have no doubts using it. Cylinder bore sxs I’d be leary.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    The 12 gauge 3" is much cheaper, at almost a 1/3rd, and looks like I might have to go that way. I just didn't want to carry my heavy waterfowl gun all night and my light single is a fixed full. 15 balls in 3" might be the way to go for 12ga. I was just hoping for more range out of the 10ga as it does for waterfowl.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Big payloads of say #4 Buck, and extended distances are certainly possible for you, just not with cheap, over the counter ammo . You can invest either money, or time to realize the potential , or decide that relatively inexpensive 3in 12ga is good enough for your purposes . Your choice .

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    The 12 gauge 3" is much cheaper, at almost a 1/3rd, and looks like I might have to go that way. I just didn't want to carry my heavy waterfowl gun all night and my light single is a fixed full. 15 balls in 3" might be the way to go for 12ga. I was just hoping for more range out of the 10ga as it does for waterfowl.

Not sure I would want to shoot a 10 gauge break barrel.

Also, a 10 gauge 3 1/2" shell has pretty much the same length shot string as a 12 gauge 3 1/2" shell. However, the 10 gauge just has a much denser patter at any point of the shot string because of the size of the bore.

Personally, if I was limited to using a shotgun I would use my Benelli SBE for predator hunting and use Hevishot Dead Coyote out of it. As it is, I use Dead Coyote T shot as my third shot when goose hunting and the range is phenomenal. Yes, it is $2.50 a shot, but I'm not using it all that much. Then again, round two in the gun is also Hevi-Shot, but in #B. First round in the gun is steel #BB.

I have thought about getting a 10 gauge for waterfowling over and over again, but then I shoot it down. Ammo is expensive and rarely available at most places. The guns are extremely heavy. Benelli and Beretta do not make one. My usage of it would be very limited.

Hevi-Shot also patterns better than lead, just like steel does, because there is no pellet deformation. Initially, Hevi-Shot was manufactured in a tear drop shape, which made it pattern even tighter than steel. Not sure that is the case anymore.

Also, $2.50 a trigger pull results in one becoming a much better shooter.

Now, if I could use a rifle for predator hunting, it would be my Ruger MKIITGT in .220 Swift or .25-06.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I'm still looking for suggestions on this. I'd like to get some turkey round which I can find and what I really need it a 00 buck rounds that are affordable.

I had an experience with Red predator trying to eat my cat this morning and #4's burnt his ass and didn't drop him. I need larger ammo in more affordable shotshells.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom