• Status
    Not open for further replies.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Some folks log in while at work.

police+car+computer.jpg

My cell phone, lately, won't let me log in. Don't know if it was the Firefox update or what, but it's been a real pain.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    But the question no one has asked (or maybe they did and deleted it)...just what did he say that he wanted to delete?:secret:

I heard somewhere that putting stuff on the internet was like peeing in a pool. Once it's there, you can never get it out.:innocent0

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I seem not to be able to delete a post. Is this a new feature?

I am on a laptop and Ipad and can't delete under either Using Explorer or whatever the ipad uses. I don't see it under "Go Advanced". I am not tech savvy so I understand I may just be missing something.

If so, how can one delete a post?

If not, why the new feature?

Thank you in advance.
    Well now we know the answer. People were d1cking around deleting old threads to affect the post counts of others. Thus we lost not only the ability to delete old posts but to edit them after a certain time period. I understand the mods needing to apply this remedy, but it sucks how we got here.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The no edit feature after a certain time has been around since I joined in 2009.

The no delete feature is a more recent phenomena.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    So now a post carries the same responsibility as every round sent downrange...there's no taking it back? :shrug: I kinda figured it was always like that anyway.

It is nice to know the reason for this and the diminishing post counts, even if the reason is kind of shameful.:sad20:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    The no edit feature after a certain time has been around since I joined in 2009.

The no delete feature is a more recent phenomena.
    I joined in 2012 and at one point edited my Intro post several years later to remove some information.

Last year when I ran a karma, I was constantly editing the OP with updates. In fact, I have frequently updated the OP in threads that I've started to add or subtract information in the last two years.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Well now we know the answer. People were d1cking around deleting old threads to affect the post counts of others. Thus we lost not only the ability to delete old posts but to edit them after a certain time period. I understand the mods needing to apply this remedy, but it sucks how we got here.

We also had people who wanted to have their Viking funeral and were going through and deleting every post they ever made, thus destroying lots of content that the members here had built over many years.

If someone has 25 posts in a single thread and they go through and delete them all, it destroys the continuity of the content.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    We also had people who wanted to have their Viking funeral and were going through and deleting every post they ever made, thus destroying lots of content that the members here had built over many years.

If someone has 25 posts in a single thread and they go through and delete them all, it destroys the continuity of the content.

As usual, the many suffer the few.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Probably a needed change. Only downside will be an increase in posts consisting of "."

At least that's what I did when I double posted or thought better of an inflammatory comment.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I joined in 2012 and at one point edited my Intro post several years later to remove some information.

Last year when I ran a karma, I was constantly editing the OP with updates. In fact, I have frequently updated the OP in threads that I've started to add or subtract information in the last two years.

I can see the No-Edit being both good and a problem... or at least an inconvenience.

There are times we have threads where the information in the OP require updating (the various legislative threads come screaming to mind, as well as group buys, etc).

I have also had to go back and remove PII from a post that I neglected to sanitize. It was an uncomfortable thing, I got it cleaned up, and things eventually got back to normal.

I'll come up with a 'good thing', I'm sure. Might take be a couple days, but I'll just come and edit this po.... oh, yeah....

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    :nono:

Pretty much appearing analogous to taking a chisel to the Rosetta Stone.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    no need to delete the posts, just ran into this recently were someone edited out tons of posts fro ma thread and ruining it. Deleting does the same thing. If you need one deleted send it over via Pm and I can take a look.

There is a 24 hour time limit to where you can though.

But then there are those that go back from time to time and edit the threads that were made "sticky". Without the ability to edit those threads, they will no longer be updated or kept current, and putting the workload onto site management isn't fair, nor is it right to force that on management.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Holy S balls. Edit is gone too? What in the actual :wtf:

That's nothing. I went to edit a post I made and instead of the edit screen coming up, guess what I get?

The Delete screen?

Yep, three's no Delete Button, but when I tried to edit a post I had just placed, I get the Delete screen asking me if I want to delete the post.

No Edit screen.

I'm am really confused now!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads