• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NB1214

Jan 19, 2010
    Charleston, SC
    Hey Howard County Residents and fellow 2A supporters......did you know that in 2009 under the Ken Ulman regime, a county law was passed making ALL target shooting in Howard County Illegal? Its true, check out County law Sec. 8.401. You cannot discharge ANY firearm in the entire county other than for lawful hunting or at a certified range. This means that all of you who have farms and enjoy plinking with 22's or sighting in your shotgun, or occasionally breaking clays are all breaking the law!

Found this out the hard way a week ago when we had a run in with DNR and Howard County PD while shooting shotguns on a large farm.

Please write your county council members and Allan Kittleman and lets get this thing repealed!

to find out who your rep is, click below.

http://cc.howardcountymd.gov/Districts

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I thought the HoCo shooting prohibition was only within the metropolitan district (whatever that is). I think it also applies to air guns.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    Wow. Appears to be correct:

• Sec. 8.401. - Discharge of guns—Prohibited.
    (a)A person shall not discharge any gun within the Metropolitan District, whether the gun is loaded with fixed or blank ammunition or projectiles of any kind.
    (b)A person shall not discharge any gun outside the Metropolitan District, whether the gun is loaded with fixed or blank ammunition or projectiles of any kind, except at varmints on the ground.
    (c)A person shall not discharge a gun from, onto, across, or within 100 yards of a public road.
    (d)A person shall not, without the prior written consent of the property owner, discharge a gun on, from, onto, or across any public or private land.
    (e)This section shall not apply to:
    (1)The discharge of guns at any target, trap or skeet range or shooting area which has been inspected and received the written approval of the department of inspections, licenses and permits pursuant to section 8.406, "Authority to Inspect and Approve Ranges or Shooting Areas," of this subtitle; or to
    (2)The discharge of guns by any person in a private basement or cellar target range; or to
    (3)The discharge of guns where necessary to protect life or property, including crops or livestock, or to kill any dangerous threatening animal; or to
    (4)Any duly authorized law enforcement officer acting in the proper performance of his/her official duties; or to
    (5)The discharge of blank ammunition in theatrical performances, historical reenactments or sporting events; or to
    (6)The firing of salutes by firing squads at military funerals; or to
    (7)The discharge of guns by any person engaged in bona fide wildlife research activities.

Another section (8.403) permits hunting

Penalty is fine up to $1,000 and up to six months in jail!

engine42410

Sep 9, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Dam, you can't even shoot on your own property in this state. I wonder is it ok to breathe in this state and I hate to say this but the criminals and the politician are winning. The only groups that matter in the state of maryland and have rights are politicians, police, military, doctors, and business owners.

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    Dam, you can't even shoot on your own property in this state. I wonder is it ok to breathe in this state and I hate to say this but the criminals and the politician are winning. The only groups that matter in the state of maryland and have rights are politicians, police, military, doctors, and business owners.

Business owners get it too. Mine will be closing as of March 31 'cause I've had it.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.

Please enlighten me on what rights the military get here, aside from a break on the HQL I'm not aware of any special deals. Doctors? What do they get?
    Also, seems the business owners get the shaft pretty hard; what breaks do you think they are getting?

Aside from that, it seems we are all getting the shaft from this law.
    Again, please show me where the military exemption is to it.

caviman2201

Mar 19, 2014
    Glen Burnie
    I just messaged this to a friend of mine. We have shot clays and targets on his grandfather's large HoCo farm many times and never realized we were committing a crime. I really hate the ignorant jackasses that run this state.

I can't believe this has been law since 2009...

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD

Shhh. An oxygen tax will be next!

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    Can you imagine that F&^King A$$hole could have been your next Lt. Gov. and then your new Gov. After that. You can thank the Howard County Firefighters Union, Teachers Union and the other unions in the county for helping to screw you out of your rights while taking YOUR tax dollars. When these folks want more of your tax dollars remind them who they supported with their union dues and tell them to go F&^K themselves! Remember they all supported the democratic looser for county executive. Call the new executive and remind him who your are and that you voted him in!!

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    Yes it is and I was as shocked as you guys. Fabsroman made me aware of this last year. I'm on a 850 acre working farm smack dab in the middle of Howard County. Next to the Doughregan manor it's the largest one left. I have the ability to safely shoot over 750 yards here in more than one spot on the farm. A little backstory here the oldman trades hunting privileges ( no spots available right now)for guys working on the farm fixing fence rows and helping us put up hay and straw and a few are HoCo PD. I asked them about this and was told off the record that they would ask you to cease fire and go about your way but this is NO guarantee and YMMV.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    You can do it, but you need a range certified by licensing.

I got the manual of range specifications from HoCo - its here somewhere if anyone would like it. FYI, you can get a copy from HoCo directly. I emailed a lady there and they mailed a hardcopy - its not on the website that I know of...

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I'd be very, very surprised if the current county executive didn't shoot on his farm from time to time. Very surprised.

The law is ridiculous.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Does any of our legal eagles know if the changes made after 1985 expose that entire section to invalidation through state preemption?

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    It does say you can shoot at varmints on the ground. I'd say just fling some roadkill by your targets. It doesnt say they have to be alive.

(b)A person shall not discharge any gun outside the Metropolitan District, whether the gun is loaded with fixed or blank ammunition or projectiles of any kind, except at varmints on the ground.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Just buy a hunting license and you can shoot all day during hunting season.

Is there a law against hunting squirrels with a 30-06?

And AK-47s do a bang up job on rabbits.

And things like groundhogs you can shoot all throughout the year. And no license for that I don't believe.

Wear some camo and let the lead fly.

Just as long as you're "hunting" of course.....:innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom