• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Cass is Still a State Park . But the promotion and booking is being handled by the mountainrailwv website together with Durbin, and the various trains operated from Elkins . The website lists a buncha Partners , including various CVB's , and I expect there is support from the WV Tourism office .

In ancient history , once upon a decade, Cass State Park had control over the former C&O line at least as far as Durbin. They were disc9 expanding their herd to offer a full speed mainline style excursions . But before that came about the ( whichever hurricane ) flood washed out most of the track .

The current D&G is an independent operation , but they work closely together with Cass , with Cass doing the heavy shop work, and leasing a backup engine to D&G , while theirs is being overhauled .

Meanwhile the Potomac Eagle is Not participating in the group website . The Eagle, and the South Branch Railroad is unique situation . It is Not " just" a tourist/ heritage railroad, it is also a short line frieght railroad, 52.4 from Moorefield WV, to the interchange with CSX at Green Spring . The SBRR is owned by the WV State Rail Authority , since 1978 when WV bought it from B&O .

My bad, you are correct. It is still a State Park but managed by D&G. I know when D&G took over a few years back that they more than doubled the price of the tickets which caused us to stop doing our yearly rides on the Cass train.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not just D&G , but all the tourist RR in WV have joined a marketing consortium . Except for Potomac Eagle , which is directly run by the state .

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    If you ever find yourself in the Four Corners area, Durango & Silverton https://www.durangotrain.com/ is a very nice ride with some of the best scenery in the country. Mesa Verde cliff dwellings are about an hour west of Durango on the way to Four Corners and Monument Valley isn't too far west from Four Corners. Durango is a nice little tourist town and if you have time to drive to Telluride, Ouray is a nice town to stop for lunch.

Royal Gorge has a short ride train running along the Arkansas River that goes under the bridge. 1000' drop from the bridge to the river below and walking along the open plank bridge is an interesting experience.

As was mentioned above, the Georgetown Loop is a nice ride and the Ski Train from Denver to Winter Park makes a nice day trip.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Cass Senic Railroad in Pocahontas County West Virginia is the best. It’s a bit of a trek to get there, but well worth it! Cass is an authentic logging railroad with restored Shay steam engines. You can take the 1 1/2 hour train to Whitaker Station and back or the 4 1/2 hour round trip to Bald Knob. The scenery is unparalleled in the east. They have added other options as well. As a side benefit, West Virginia has constitutional carry!

True, but according to the tour narrator, "firearms are prohibited" on the Cass excursion. Not that anyone was searched, scanned, or questioned. I think they're only making the announcement out of a "feel good" decision by upper management.

I was there just last week, beautiful ride as always. Love Shays!

This coming weekend is their last of the season, BTW.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    The WV Radio Astronomy Center is only minutes away from Cass and they have a great visitors center with an interactive science center that is great for kids of all ages.

Yep, this is a must-see if you're in the area! Literally just minutes from Cass.

They opened a new museum/visitor's center a few years ago and it's pretty cool.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ordered a batch of tickets!

Looking at the train display, too. Kids are too young to tour the mechanic's shop; that would be awesome! I can wait til they are old enough, though.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Even 40yr ago , tickets for Durango & Silverton were sold out months in advance .

Somebody more compute literate please embed the song by C.W. McCall .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I didn't think it would happen this year, but Saturday rode the Potomac Eagle with Mrs Biggfoot and Biggfoot Jr , for a multiply postponed Mothers Day .

Yes , they are Diesel only , albeit they have some historic Diesels . They were lacking in their not discussing the motive power and rolling stock , which itself were interesting , representing multiple eras .

BUT the Bald Eagle viewing exponentially exceeded anything I was expecting ! About a half dozen fully mature , probably 20 young ones , several nests . They were chilling on branches, flying low along the river, and flying high .

I've seen various Bald Eagles, in various places, including close to home . But never such an abundance in one area .

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Western Maryland Scenic runs a 'Polar Express' themed excursion in November and December. As mentioned above, it's diesel traction for now.

The other thing you can do with them is to take your bycicle up to Frostburg on the train and coast down the 1200ft of elevation gain along the Great Allegeny Passage rail trail.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Western Maryland Scenic runs a 'Polar Express' themed excursion in November and December. As mentioned above, it's diesel traction for now.

The other thing you can do with them is to take your bycicle up to Frostburg on the train and coast down the 1200ft of elevation gain along the Great Allegeny Passage rail trail.

I like that last part...

Christmas train is set. Beautiful Car #88 :

https://www.strasburgrailroad.com/ride/cars/first-class-parlor/

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Thank You! To FOX for starting this thread and everyone else who posted about train rides in the area.
    I went up to Reading Pa. with my wife and son yesterday for their Fall Foilage trip up to Jim Thorpe and everyone ( including the 14 year old) enjoyed it. It was about a 3 1/2 hr. ride up and we had about 3 hours to sightsee and eat before heading back.
    It was a very cool day trip. Next year will be the Cass Mt but that will have to be more than a day trip.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Thank You! To FOX for starting this thread and everyone else who posted about train rides in the area.
    I went up to Reading Pa. with my wife and son yesterday for their Fall Foilage trip up to Jim Thorpe and everyone ( including the 14 year old) enjoyed it. It was about a 3 1/2 hr. ride up and we had about 3 hours to sightsee and eat before heading back.
    It was a very cool day trip. Next year will be the Cass Mt but that will have to be more than a day trip.

Excellent. Look into a VRBO out there. Bet a sweet cabin awaits you...

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Pic from the Big Bend TX area this last weekend. The Union Pacific Big Boy (4-8-8-4) rolled through...

Attachments

• 20191102_075911[1].jpg
      20191102_075911[1].jpg
      59.6 KB · Views: 172

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Anyone considering the Potomac Eagle should really just look into renting a canoe or kayak from the Trough General Store and have them drop you off at the US220 bridge by Old Fields and floating back down. While you don't get to ride a train, you do get much better views of the Trough itself as you're floating right down it. I've had bald eagles grab smallies out of the water right in front of my boat before. One great trip!

Abuck

Ultimate Member

Lol, you were in my town, and I had to run down to B and B Butchering in Little Orleans for the weekend to grab the deer I got muzzleloader season. I hope you had a good time. It was crazy with tourists the last several weekends here, so you picked the better time for the ride in to town.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I would have loved to have been there to see that! Very cool!

My grandson would have loved that; me too. Don't know how I missed this thread until now.

Another vote for Strasburg, BTW. Do visit the repair shop, it's incredible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom