• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    The Right exists everywhere but you may get a trip to the grey bar hotel if you try to exercise it in some places.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The Right exists everywhere but you may get a trip to the grey bar hotel if you try to exercise it in some places.

While there may be overwhelming opposition to the right in some areas, maybe to the degree where you are egregiously oppressed, the right exists.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Congress can repeal an amendment. They cannot repeal a Right. The Right existed before the amendment, the Right will exist after its' repeal.

Technically congress cannot repeal an amendment. They can vote (2/3 majority) to amend the constitution, but 3/4 of the states need to approve.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    but 3/4 of the states need to approve.

And I'd like to think that we're still a long way from 37 states being willing to remove the 2A from the Bill of Rights. It would only take 14 out the 28 contenders below to say no:

Alabama
    Alaska
    Arizona
    Arkansas
    Florida
    Georgia
    Idaho
    Indiana
    Iowa
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Mississippi
    Montana
    Nebraska
    Nevada
    New Mexico
    North Carolina
    North Dakota
    Oklahoma
    Pennsylvania
    South Carolina
    South Dakota
    Tennessee
    Texas
    Utah
    West Virginia
    Wyoming

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    3 easy* to get non-resident carry permits are valid in 42 states, last I checked. If anything, it would be easier to get 37 states to bolster the protections of the 2nd amendment. Can you say the strictest scrutiny?

We should regulate carry permits like drivers licenses. Every resident over 18 can get one, and once one gets one its good in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and other territories. If my marriage license from another state is valid, even if I am married to a partner of the same sex, so should my carry permit.

* easy meaning not being prohibited and taking 4 hours of instruction.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Maybe. But justices, like the rest of us, don' t really fall into simple, caricaturish, categories. I know "conservatives" who hate firearms, and "liberals" who have enjoyed time at the range and understand that not everyone who owns a gun is evil or crazy.

And, sometimes, on occasion, a justice actually makes a decision on a basis of rational interpretation of law, rather than his or her feelings about the issue.

That is not at all true when you look at the record and facts. The left justices vote fairly consistently left, the right fairly consistently right, and one playing the middle is the only wild card.

you can occasionally find a Republican who has gone off the rails and gone center or left in the court cases, but Democrat appointed federal judges and supreme court justices don't support even Heller

As far as the rest of us, that is not true either. The surveys and polling show Democrats, and self describe liberals and progressives, support additional wide and deep reduction in Second amendment rights, and people on the right support keeping or expanding second amendment rights .

That divide has become even more pronounced in the past generation, not less.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    That is not at all true when you look at the record and facts. The left justices vote fairly consistently left, the right fairly consistently right, and one playing the middle is the only wild card.

you can occasionally find a Republican who has gone off the rails and gone center or left in the court cases, but Democrat appointed federal judges and supreme court justices don't support even Heller

As far as the rest of us, that is not true either. The surveys and polling show Democrats, and self describe liberals and progressives, support additional wide and deep reduction in Second amendment rights, and people on the right support keeping or expanding second amendment rights .

That divide has become even more pronounced in the past generation, not less.

:thumbsup: What he said!​

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Parties have requested an extension of time to file, with petitioners filing on 7 May and the respondents on 5 August so the case can be argued in the October sitting.

777GSOTB

Mar 23, 2014
    This case will most likely be settled on the grounds of ones constitutional right to travel with lawfully owned property and limited to previous Heller findings concerning firearms in the home. Because the law is limited to intrastate travel, the commerce clause doesn't apply here.

Don't get your hopes up for any novel 2nd Amendment decision.

The question presented is:

Whether the City's ban on transporting a licensed, locked, and unloaded handgun to a home or shooting range outside city limits is consistent with the Second Amendment, the Commerce Clause, and the constitutional right to travel.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    This case will most likely be settled on the grounds of ones constitutional right to travel with lawfully owned property and limited to previous Heller findings concerning firearms in the home. Because the law is limited to intrastate travel, the commerce clause doesn't apply here.

Whether the City's ban on transporting a licensed, locked, and unloaded handgun to a home or shooting range outside city limits is consistent with the Second Amendment, the Commerce Clause, and the constitutional right to travel.

Thomas has a hard on for more 2A cases. We’ll see. I think the 2A trumps the commerce clause. The Bill of Rights vs the commerce clause.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Thomas has a hard on for more 2A cases. We’ll see. I think the 2A trumps the commerce clause. The Bill of Rights vs the commerce clause.
    Thomas wont be deciding anything, Roberts will.

Roberts will decide if it is strict or not, commerce or not and upheld or not.

Just as all that mattered for Heller: is what Kennedy would let Scalia do.

The laws states it is intrastate but the effect is also patently interstate. There is no denying it is also an interstate issue. A lot of NYC residents would be shooting at ranges NJ.

And there are other compelling arguments:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/18/18-280/66119/20181009105152662_18-280 Amici Brief.pdf
    https://www.supremecourt.gov/Docket...estern States Sheriffs Association et al.pdf

Groups outside of NY have certainly have amicus briefs in.

Again i think all that matters is Roberts political opinion. He is a political animal and will consider public opinion much more than he should.

I think he will overturn NY law but do so extremely narrowly and not support strict scrutiny, despite this case having clear interstate implications and despite the pattern of NY laws and federal splits arguing strong for strict

777GSOTB

Mar 23, 2014
    The laws states it is intrastate but the effect is also patently interstate. There is no denying it is also an interstate issue. A lot of NYC residents would be shooting at ranges NJ.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/18/18-280/66119/20181009105152662_18-280 Amici Brief.pdf
    https://www.supremecourt.gov/Docket...estern States Sheriffs Association et al.pdf

Again i think all that matters is Roberts political opinion. He is a political animal and will consider public opinion much more than he should.

I think he will overturn NY law but do so extremely narrowly and not support strict scrutiny, despite this case having clear interstate implications and despite the pattern of NY laws and federal splits arguing strong for strict

No petitioner in the case wanted to take their firearm outside the state. If the federal government can't regulate the possession of a firearm, under their commerce powers, outside of a school as in US v Lopez. What makes you think they can here?

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    From your keyboard to .fed court ears, I hope.

Specifically as pertains to case related to Kansas. It’s posted in another thread here. State removed all regulation of a number of atf regulated items, like FA and suppressors, when made and used in state only. The guys were arrested and charged severely. The case is pending appeal on the fact that it was NOT interstate commerce and therefore not illegal. So I do hope you’re right.

On the ny case, I recall the interstate part from reading brief, but don’t recall if it was specifically a petitioner or support brief, but inter state was mentioned. Either way, I think the point was to show the NYC law is stupid in multiple ways. Limiting the owners both at inter and intra state levels. So trying both a 2a spin and commerce clause as well and hoping for a win on either OR both grounds.

I am not a lawyer, just a laymen trying to understand an issue that effect me.

No petitioner in the case wanted to take their firearm outside the state. If the federal government can't regulate the possession of a firearm, under their commerce powers, outside of a school as in US v Lopez. What makes you think they can here?

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    On the ny case, I recall the interstate part from reading brief, but don’t recall if it was specifically a petitioner or support brief, but inter state was mentioned... Limiting the owners both at inter and intra state levels. So trying both a 2a spin and commerce clause as well and hoping for a win on either OR both grounds.

Using the Commerce Clause raises the probability of overturning the NY law. But it has the risk of allowing SCOTUS to overrule NY strictly on Commerce Clause grounds without touching on any 2A issues. And that leaves us no better off nationally, and NY can continue to pass other infringing laws that don't affect interstate transport.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

I think your optics are wrong. I think there is a reason the justices haven’t taken 2A cases. It’s not about Roberts deciding, it’s about Thomas, Alito, Gorsuch and Kavanaugh knowing how Roberts will vote.

It wasn’t about what Kennedy would LET Scalia do, it was about Scalia knowing what Kennedy would do.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I think your optics are wrong. I think there is a reason the justices haven’t taken 2A cases. It’s not about Roberts deciding, it’s about Thomas, Alito, Gorsuch and Kavanaugh knowing how Roberts will vote.

It wasn’t about what Kennedy would LET Scalia do, it was about Scalia knowing what Kennedy would do.

That is the same thing in effect and in any case there is no doubt it was about what Kennedy would allow with his signaling how much he would accept. Scalia was not simply writing in the dark. Former SCOTUS clerks have written about this -- justices signal each other all the time. It is also one of the reasons for listing to questions during oral arguments. They are not really questions to convince a judge otherwise, but there so those in the middle can signal where they will draw lines.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

NYC is in a unique situation geographically. Travel a short distance (i.e., five miles) from midtown Manhattan on the "subway" and you're out of NYC but still in NY State (Westchester); travel the same distance West and you're in NJ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom