• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I am hoping I can be there at least one day and night , depends on workload . I would love to speak but I wonder if I can make the message be sound and solid . But I could at least be an ugly cheerleader for others .

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    Like last year I'll be there. I'm going to get down their earlier to sign up, missed it by that much last year. Still was able to present my objections in the few times they asked if anyone had anything to add.
    Just talking to my bride how we are going to change our strategy and meet with our legislators face to face. If nothing else they can put a face to the name.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    If it’s anything like last year, be prepared to wait for a long time to testify. Know that they’ll give the antis and Moms Demand Action ample time to testify, but when it’s our turn, don’t be surprised if they say “We’re gonna combine everything together and you only have 2 minutes to testify.”
    Be prepared to meet some like minded, great people from MD Shooters. Also be prepared to encounter dimwit antis who yell out that they are being harassed or assaulted just by your presence.
    I had a good time testifying last year.

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Please start going to your local representatives town halls. You can meet them so they know who you are. Let them know your concerns. I actually got some real help from my local representative last year that I didn't expect, because of their previous antigun positions.

Calling your representatives office and asking to speak to them or their Chief of Staff will help during the legislative process. Writing emails, coming to the hearings is great, but meeting or at least calling your representatives office makes a difference.

If you don't get involved in standing up for our 2A rights, we are screwed. Bloombergs MDA group is flooding Maryland, Virginia and Delaware with antigun money and activists.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    Best hope for 2020 is that they focus on fleecing the middle class through taxes and leave guns alone.

With the DNC having a super majority in both houses and Hogan being a RINO, I have no hope if an antigun bill is introduced and they have time to actually get to it. Luckily, MD voters are much more concerned with getting free stuff right now than they are taking away guns so it will probably be a quiet year in terms of gun legislation.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Best hope for 2020 is that they focus on fleecing the middle class through taxes and leave guns alone.

MD voters are much more concerned with getting free stuff right now than they are taking away guns so it will probably be a quiet year in terms of gun legislation.

Forlorn hope. They score points with voters by hounding law-abiding gun owners.

Go and have your say. Even better, rather than waiting all day and half the night for your 2 minutes of fame, visit the offices of your delegates and senator and express your concerns. If you can do so without getting bent out of shape they'll listen. It DOES help.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    Again, I appreciate all of the advice here. It's time for me to start writing letters and making some calls. I am a lifetime NRA member, give to MSI, GOA, Second Amendment Foundation and FPC. Money is part of it but I came to the realization last year after watching the MGA in action that every single person counts. I would love to see Annapolis flooded with every single gun owner in the state. I know it will never happen but it would be a thing of beauty.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I'm told that aside from personal contact with a representative, the most attention is given to hand-written letters. I presume that rational content is preferable over rambling rant, and a well-reasoned position is hard to ignore.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    I'm told that aside from personal contact with a representative, the most attention is given to hand-written letters. I presume that rational content is preferable over rambling rant, and a well-reasoned position is hard to ignore.

Well positioned reasoning is what I plan on doing. I am good at that. Writing helps organize your thoughts.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County

And handwritten means the whole thing written in your best penmanship - not just a personalized typewritten letter signed by you.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    And handwritten means the whole thing written in your best penmanship - not just a personalized typewritten letter signed by you.

Another point well taken. I always type all of my letters. Perhaps handwritten sentiments will help get a little more attention.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And NOT an all encompassing corespondence ( written Testimony ) addressing multiple subjects/ Bills . Be specific about a particular Bill identified by number . If that means multiple letters/ Testimonies , all the better .

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    And NOT an all encompassing corespondence ( written Testimony ) addressing multiple subjects/ Bills . Be specific about a particular Bill identified by number . If that means multiple letters/ Testimonies , all the better .

Thanks for the input. I will be sure to address each bill per letter. Thanks again for the advice!

Defense Rifle

Jul 1, 2016
    NC
    AFAIK this 2020 Maryland legislation session is going to be brutal for gun-owners. Basically many of the gun-control bills that got scrapped in 2019 will be revived and passed in 2020. The new Senate President Bill Ferguson is also far more liberal Democrat than his predecessor Mike Miller. Given Democrats hold a 2/3 majority in the House and Senate they can override any governor veto. Mike Miller is one of the reasons why many of the gun-control bills that passed the in the House failed in the Senate. Several moderate Democrats have or are resigning as well which leaves mostly hardcore liberal anti-gun Democrats.

Get ready for

1) LGQL - Long gun qualification license
    2) More restrictions and bans on rifles and ownership. Ban on AR-15s and other rifles, likely no grandfathering.
    3) Bans/restrictions on transfers, private sales
    4) Background checks on ammunition purchase, possibly a permit to purchase (HQL accepted) handgun ammunition.

Just to name a few bills on the way.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...fc9e5c-f661-11e9-a285-882a8e386a96_story.html

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2019...-shooting-background-checks-ammunition-sales/

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015

Grab a beer, stream some "Active self-Protection" on youtube, and write some letters. Don't forget committee chairs, who may not be in your district, but as committee chairs, represent the interest of all Maryanders. Remind them of that.

Oh, and remind them of the low compliance rate of gun "buy backs" in New Zealand....

http://www.sportingshooter.com.au/latest/new-zealand-buy-back-failing

Good seeing you at the MSI meeting on Saturday Kicken Wing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom