• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Baker Batavia Leader. Case coloring is gone, but the patina is nice overall. There's an obstruction bulge on the left barrel that I'm likely going to have repaired at some point. It seems to function fine. The firing pins engage the snap caps, lockup is good and tight with no wiggle and the locking lever sits just right of center. I'm likely going to sit on it for a bit. Either save up for a nice "working man" grade restoration by professionals (re-rust-blue on the twist barrels, restocking, professional cleaning of the action, but no re-coloring) and full sleeves that would take it down to 20ga, or just keep it as it is as a reminder of how beautiful a "work gun" used to be back in the day. I got it for next to nothing, otherwise I wouldn't have taken it in most likely.

Anyway, as all threads are worthless without pics:

20170523_192154.jpg

20170523_192019.jpg

20170523_192049.jpg

This is the bulge, it's not a ring bulge so chances are, it wouldn't be catastrophic but I'll still sleeve it to be careful.

20170523_192129.jpg

Some stock cracking that will need to be addressed if I'm to shoot it ever

Ultimately, I'd like to see mine wind up like this one from Sycamore Hill Designs

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    That is some pretty steel... a shame about the bulge, but still a nice find. Glad to see someone pick it up who appreciates a gun like that and will give it some TLC. I salute you!

It looks like it'll be just around $125-$150 to have the bulge removed. The gentleman I talked to said that with these "London Fine Twist Barrels" will recover from a small bulge like that with little problem so long as the steel didn't delaminate. If it were a ring bulge, it'd be a no-go, but an obstruction bulge like that one he says is workable. He was glad to hear that I'm not going to shoot it without sleeves though (even for black powder loads).

I'll likely piecemeal it together with various restorations over a few years. Get the bulge fixed this summer and see if it needs tightened up or rejoined at all. Next year I'll look into restocking and either rust bluing the barrels again or case coloring the action. Last thing will be sleeves. They're going to run $625 or so. If I didn't do the sleeves, I'd probably be able to pull a profit if I ever decided to sell it. (I got it for $80). But dammit, I want to take it hunting!

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Who do you get to do your sleeving?

I'm looking at a couple of options right now. Briley seems to be one of the better options right now though it is rather expensive.

The other option is the "Gun Barrel Guy" Howard Montgomery. Haven't looked into him too much, but he comes recommended.

I'm also going to talk with Sergey Lyalko at Rustblue Gunsmithing up in Natick Massachusetts to see what he thinks the best option is. He'll be doing the bulge repair and twist polish/finish for me.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I admire your noble cause but I would be cautious not to over invest. Never the less it would be nice to shoot a vintage double.

Given the completed sales I've seen on restored models, I'd at least break even given the jobs I'm looking at, but likely wouldn't wind up over-investing. Even if I did, I have a feeling I'm going to want this to be an heirloom to pass on one day.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Well there you go, with a little work you'll have a nice shotgun that will suit your tastes. What year was that one manufactured? I have seen Batavia shotguns before but do not know much about them.

They can be a bit difficult to date but they only made the twist steel ones in this style from 1909 to 1919. They were bought out by another company after 1919 and the screw placement and wording on the action are different. They apparently continued to use some twist steel barrels they had in stock and then switched to all modern steel after that. The serial number runs towards the upper known end, so 1917 to 1919 would be a reasonable assumption. That ties it or puts it in second for the oldest firearm currently in my possession (1897 Winchester Take-Down from 1917 is the current definitive record holder.

There's a couple of examples of the Baker Batavia guns (Leader, Special, etc) in the outdoor life article I posted a few threads down yesterday. It's a .pdf scan with good quality photos. They were originally beautifully case-colored, rust-blued, walnut stocked arms. The Batavia Leader was their "base model" but that is impressive in and of itself considering the craftsmanship that went into them.

There are models that will handle modern loads, but they were special orders. Interestingly enough, they seem to not fetch as high a price as the damascus and twist varieties.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    It looks like it'll be just around $125-$150 to have the bulge removed. The gentleman I talked to said that with these "London Fine Twist Barrels" will recover from a small bulge like that with little problem so long as the steel didn't delaminate. If it were a ring bulge, it'd be a no-go, but an obstruction bulge like that one he says is workable. He was glad to hear that I'm not going to shoot it without sleeves though (even for black powder loads).

I'll likely piecemeal it together with various restorations over a few years. Get the bulge fixed this summer and see if it needs tightened up or rejoined at all. Next year I'll look into restocking and either rust bluing the barrels again or case coloring the action. Last thing will be sleeves. They're going to run $625 or so. If I didn't do the sleeves, I'd probably be able to pull a profit if I ever decided to sell it. (I got it for $80). But dammit, I want to take it hunting!

I've got a couple of old Damascus barrels and as a much cheaper alternative to sleeves, I use 12 ga to .410 bore adapters. I can shoot them all day with those and only about $25 per barrel. Awesome project though. :thumbsup:

smoothebore

I've got four Parker doubles with composite barrels; two plain twist, one stub twist, and one damascus. The oldest is the stub twist from 1874. The others are from the 1880's. The idea that they are never to be shot has been proven to be an old wives tale. It's true they should not be shot with normal factory shells. Modern shells are in the neighborhood of 11,000psi which is too much pressure for the age of the gun. They were made for black powder and the pressures should be kept under 8,000psi. Personally, I reload 12ga at around 5,000psi. There is a very good company that makes new shells for vintage guns. They offer shells in 10, 12, 16, and 20 ga for both target and hunting loads. www.rstshells.com

The gun pictured is a 12ga with plain twist barrels. Both barrels had bulges that I had repaired. I also had the barrels re-finished. The stock and frame had their natural honest wear from 1880. I sold this one about eight years ago.

Attachments

• Top Action 12ga 002.jpg
      Top Action 12ga 002.jpg
      24.4 KB · Views: 127
    • Top Action 12ga 004.jpg
      Top Action 12ga 004.jpg
      35.7 KB · Views: 132
    • Top Action 12ga 006.jpg
      Top Action 12ga 006.jpg
      49.5 KB · Views: 131
    • Top Action 12ga 010.jpg
      Top Action 12ga 010.jpg