• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cotman68

Feb 21, 2010
    Stewartstown, Pa
    So after 6 months , finally got money back from Ozark Ordnance. Looking to get some sub sonic, range and game ammo. What are your recommendations ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Tomkat ammo is local and have not heard anything bad about their ammo...they have a wide variety of subs and supers.

You could also make your own...way cheaper that way..

cotman68

Feb 21, 2010
    Stewartstown, Pa
    Tomkat ammo is local and have not heard anything bad about their ammo...they have a wide variety of subs and supers.

You could also make your own...way cheaper that way..

Not set up for re-loading yet. Next years project. I'll check Tomkat out thanks

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    If by game you mean critters, get some 110 grain Barnes TAC-TX solid copper bullets. Black tips.

When they open, they're like four little razor blades that slice through what ever it is you're hunting.

In my opinion, the heavy and slow 300BLK bullets won't expand well enough to hunt with.

Too slow for hydrostatic shock too. It'll be in and out with no tissue damage or blood trail.

cotman68

Feb 21, 2010
    Stewartstown, Pa
    208gr or 220gr for subs.

110gr Hornady VMax for hunting. The Hornady Black line is the new version of the Hornady Custom 300BLK ammo I use for hunting.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/shoo...0/sc/104532480/hornady-black-ammo/2474098.uts

Range ammo for plinking away, I'd go woth Fiocchi.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/shoo...c/104532480/fiocchi-blackout-ammo/1921166.uts

Got some of the Hornady Black and Barnes 110 G. I'll catch Tomkat at the next gun show and get some sub- sonic for the Omega that should be coming soon. DA if you need any more Hornady found them cheaper here. https://www.targetsportsusa.com/hornady-black-300-blackout-ammo-110-grain-vmax-80873-p-59048.aspx

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    If by game you mean critters, get some 110 grain Barnes TAC-TX solid copper bullets. Black tips.

When they open, they're like four little razor blades that slice through what ever it is you're hunting.

In my opinion, the heavy and slow 300BLK bullets won't expand well enough to hunt with.

Too slow for hydrostatic shock too. It'll be in and out with no tissue damage or blood trail.

+1 to the Barnes. The 110gr TAC-TX rounds look devastating in literally every review I see.

For range ammo, I use Freedom Munitions. Prices hiked up before the election, but I think it was ~30 cpr back in September/October.

CSHS

Apr 21, 2015
    Without a suppressor, you may have difficulty getting your 300 to cycle using subs. If you haven't tried them yet, don't buy a bunch.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    So after 6 months , finally got money back from Ozark Ordnance. Looking to get some sub sonic, range and game ammo. What are your recommendations ?

Check out fog ammo (www.fogammo.com) excellent prices and super quick shipping. Plus they have sales all the time that just can't be beat. It is my go to place for 300 bo!

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Without a suppressor, you may have difficulty getting your 300 to cycle using subs. If you haven't tried them yet, don't buy a bunch.

That isn't true. If the AR was built properly, even without an adjustable gas block, it should cycle supers and subs without a problem. If you are having problems cycling subs without a can, you'll need to get an adjustable gas block.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    +1 for TomKat
    +1 for DA's above assessment, I've loaded 150 gr. subs with no problems ... skeletonized Spikes BCG though??
    will we see 300 ammo come down anymore? more in lines with is the market still growing (demand) and wondering how popular the mini 14 in 300 (among other brands) has become.

Good Luck OP.

CSHS

Apr 21, 2015
    That isn't true. If the AR was built properly, even without an adjustable gas block, it should cycle supers and subs without a problem. If you are having problems cycling subs without a can, you'll need to get an adjustable gas block.

I stand corrected, I'll try that. I tried some subs when I first got my RRA upper with no luck. Anyone provide a brand recommendation and tips for the adjustable block? Can I adjust it too much? I'll need a low-profile block. Do subs serve much purpose without a can?

cotman68

Feb 21, 2010
    Stewartstown, Pa
    I stand corrected, I'll try that. I tried some subs when I first got my RRA upper with no luck. Anyone provide a brand recommendation and tips for the adjustable block? Can I adjust it too much? I'll need a low-profile block. Do subs serve much purpose without a can?

I have 3 SLR adjustable gas blocks. Really like them so far

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

What is the gas system length? That also plays a part in this too.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    In many cases, cycling failures occur due to too much(stiff) action spring or too narrow of a gas port. In both cases, the culprit is under-gassing. Both are easily cured, the latter by someone who knows what they are doing.

Adjustable gas blocks are good on any AR. At the very least, they will help keep you from beating your gun up unnecessarily(over gassing) by way of slowing or lowering the recoil impulse of the gun. Most military type guns are over gassed out of necessity. The AR 15/m-4 is no exception. I like SLR GBs. They are good in that their adjustments are meterable and repeatable by click adjustment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom