• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    Not sure of the legality, but I wouldn't. An ASP requires you to get up close and personal. If you have time to open it, you probably had time to come up with a better plan. Just my opinion.

Given that for most here the only other option is a blade and spray, I'd take the spray & baton. You are going to get more distance, but just as important as it is to learn how to defend with a knife the same goes for a baton.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    Would having one of these in your car be a felony? What about on your person?

Someone mentioned that it couldn't be concealed - if it's not a weapon then why not?

Misdemeanor. Carrying a loaded handgun concealed is also a misdemeanor.

As for your other question: If it's not concealed and not carried with the intent to injure, there is no crime, but consult an attorney.

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    Misdemeanor. Carrying a loaded handgun concealed is also a misdemeanor.

As for your other question: If it's not concealed and not carried with the intent to injure, there is no crime, but consult an attorney.

The problem is, is that MD doesn't define an ASP baton as a weapon. So how can I even get arrested for it if they found it in my car? I could use my steel-toe Redwings to do some damage by swinging them at someones face, but it's not a crime to carry them, is it?

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    The problem is, is that MD doesn't define an ASP baton as a weapon. So how can I even get arrested for it if they found it in my car? I could use my steel-toe Redwings to do some damage by swinging them at someones face, but it's not a crime to carry them, is it?

How can you get arrested? Simple, its as easy as the link. Convicted is a different story.

Also:

The law doesn't define a list of weapons. It does identify some things that are weapons, and some things that aren't.

The list is not all inclusive. The law states:

(c) (1) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon of any kind concealed on or about the person.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    I have an ASP; locking out smoothing isn't the problem. I can't get the damn thing closed- Is there a trick to it?

If you hit it on concrete you'll scar the tip. Instead flex the tip and handle as if you're trying to bend it. Then "bend" it the other way. Do this a few times and it will come loose. Then "throw" the tip toward the handle and the friction lock will collapse.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I have an ASP; locking out smoothing isn't the problem. I can't get the damn thing closed- Is there a trick to it?

tap the extended on cement, with a little umph.

Doesn't worked on carpeted flooring

Correct. It does work on carpeted floors provided you don't care about damaging them though. There is a "clip" that's you get get to if you unscrew the end cap. Adjusting that can make the ASP lock out more effectivly or close more easily but it's a lot of trial and error if you're not sure what you're doing and they break pretty easily.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    If you hit it on concrete you'll scar the tip. Instead flex the tip and handle as if you're trying to bend it. Then "bend" it the other way. Do this a few times and it will come loose. Then "throw" the tip toward the handle and the friction lock will collapse.

You know I'm going to have to try this now.

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    AFAIK you can open carry them. I've had moco / rockville cops walk past me when I was OCing an ASP and they never stopped me. YMMV, it was dark and they might not have seen it or maybe they just didnt say anything since I am a tiny little guy walking around at night.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    You know I'm going to have to try this now.

Let me know how it works for you. I've been doing it for a long time.
    Now, if you REALLY lock it up tight like when you deploy it on the street, you might have to try something else like concrete :o, but for 99% of the time this will work just fine.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central

Wait....so the cool battle scars on the tips arent cool?

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    Wait....so the cool battle scars on the tips arent cool?

PD's don't like them because the sharpened metal = injuries.
    Also, if you have to strike someone you might prefer they not bleed, with all the bloodborne pathogens around.
    You can always use some sandpaper to smooth the tip if yours is buggered up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom