• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    True, but so far common sense has prevailed in every flight I've taken with my kids.

Problem is, the TSA folks can get in trouble for that, as profiling (both ways) is not legal.

Anyway, scanners are not a big deal. No harm from them.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Problem is, the TSA folks can get in trouble for that, as profiling (both ways) is not legal.

Anyway, scanners are not a big deal. No harm from them.

They don't bother me in the least. Shuffling 6 people through a metal detector is much quicker than the scanner.:thumbsup:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Not when half the people set off the metal detector and have to swim upstream. :D

TheDykstra

Sep 20, 2017
    Montgomery County
    I frequently take firearms with me when I fly (in TSA approved containers) and go through the whole paperwork process which sometimes involves taking the firearm out of the case. I typically wash my hands after handling and before going through TSA screening but not always. I've never had a problem with any of my carry-on luggage or hand swabs. Don't let them catch you with a full size toothpaste, that is a real threat. #mintyfresh

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    I have put the restraint system off of an MH-60S gunner seat in my carry on and tsa stopped me going through security. It has 2 inertia reels that are pretty dense and they had no clue what the hell it was so rightfully so, they investigated. Well they swabbed the restraints off of a gun ship, and it was fine. The Sierra can have anything on it from Hellfires, the GAU-21, to the M240. I don't think gun powder residue is something they test for.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    According to both TSA and airline policy, TSA nor airline employees are allowed to touch your firearm, LE is called for removal if required.

cornstalk

Mar 13, 2013
    My wife will be traveling internationally in a few weeks. In a discussion with a friend of hers, she mentioned that I would be shooting about 4 days before she is scheduled to depart. The friend told her that would be a bad idea because the TSA sensors will be able to detect any recent GSR that may have transfered from me to her and possibly to her bags in the car. Does anyone have any reliable info on this? How long will GSR remain on a person and clothes? I told her I doubt that it will be a problem because there will be several showers for us both before she travels. I also think TSA doesn't check for GSR, only for chemical compounds associated with predetonated explosives, but I'm not sure of that. And what happens to someone they get a positive hit on for GSR if the test for it?
    Any comments will be helpful. Thanks!
    You can't be retained for GSR. I've traveled with checked firearms many times and I'm certain my guns and gun cases had GSR. Even if they did detect it, once you explained it you'd be free to go. It's crazy that you have to worry about these things, but that's what it's coming to.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    I have spent a week in the bush hunting and even playing with 20 lbs of tanerite. I didn't plan it this way but I ended up having to fly with out benefit of a shower and had my gun cases and hands swabed. The machine didn't detect anything that set off am alarm. Makes me wonder if was working or how much it takes to set it off.

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Yeah, Poor fella had to ride from San Antonio to Atlanta next to me. Managed to grab a shower in ATL Delta lounge for the 2nd leg of trip. I felt really bad.

I had to sit next to a very hot chick on a flight from Raleigh to San Diego once. She boarded last and looked pretty out of it as she zig zagged down the isle. She plops down next to me in the middle seat (last open seat on the aircraft) and reeked of alcohol and cigarettes. She asked if I was going to drink on the flight and I said "absolutely". She promptly goes to sleep, her head falls on my shoulder and she starts drooling. I tried to wake her up but didn't really want to put my hands on her and face felony charges :D so I hit the flight attendant call button. They couldn't get a response out of her, even shaking her a bit, so they announced over the intercom they needed a doctor or a nurse. I get up and the doc sits in my seat and gets a mumbled response from her eventually. I sat in the flight attendant jump seat in the back and had about 6 free beers. In hindsight, it was a really good flight. ha ha

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    One reason the tests may not show positive if you have been shooting is, they test for nitro groups. And when the propellant/explosive burns/detonates, the nitro groups are destroyed, creating other compounds that are not detected.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    :D

Attachments

• bill nye.jpg
      bill nye.jpg
      66.6 KB · Views: 171

Adenosine

Sep 20, 2016
    tl;dr: Yes, they can pick it up, no, you're not going to wind up locked in a subterranean hole.

I flew to a competition and had a return flight the same day. My carry-on bag also occasionally does duty as a range bag. Competition ran long, didn't have time to shower, and I typically opt out of the wave scanner. Had a bunch of weird-looking stuff in the bag (a cooler with cheese, which due to its density looks remarkably similar to explosives on the scanner), so they pulled it for secondary. Both my clothes and my bag popped.

(Yes, they do test their hands when they pat you down. That's what they're doing when they leave you to stand there and go over to the machine.)

I kept my hands where everyone could see them and calmly said, "I will probably test positive, I am a competitive shooter and I just finished a match." The TSA kid's face immediately relaxed a lot, though all of them were professional the whole way through.

I have also had my suitcase/gun case test positive when putting my locked firearm case through the baggage scanner. This was actually at O'Hare. They were cool, just had to wait for a supervisor.

So it might take you a few extra minutes, but I didn't miss either flight, and I was cutting it pretty close for one. If you wash your clothes, wipe down your cases, and/or change, it probably won't happen for you at all.

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    tl;dr: Yes, they can pick it up, no, you're not going to wind up locked in a subterranean hole.

I flew to a competition and had a return flight the same day. My carry-on bag also occasionally does duty as a range bag. Competition ran long, didn't have time to shower, and I typically opt out of the wave scanner. Had a bunch of weird-looking stuff in the bag (a cooler with cheese, which due to its density looks remarkably similar to explosives on the scanner), so they pulled it for secondary. Both my clothes and my bag popped.

(Yes, they do test their hands when they pat you down. That's what they're doing when they leave you to stand there and go over to the machine.)

I kept my hands where everyone could see them and calmly said, "I will probably test positive, I am a competitive shooter and I just finished a match." The TSA kid's face immediately relaxed a lot, though all of them were professional the whole way through.

I have also had my suitcase/gun case test positive when putting my locked firearm case through the baggage scanner. This was actually at O'Hare. They were cool, just had to wait for a supervisor.

So it might take you a few extra minutes, but I didn't miss either flight, and I was cutting it pretty close for one. If you wash your clothes, wipe down your cases, and/or change, it probably won't happen for you at all.
    I've used Rdx then got on a fight with no problems...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom