• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I am not convinced this red fox has mange. I had one that was down to a Mohawk on the back of his neck, but that is extreme. Foxes do live in, of all things!, foxholes. If they are anything like my dog, rolling in mud is a bonus so a bit of brown on a fuzzy photo isn't conclusive.

Mange is a parasite like scabies and your dog can get it. Unless you have a phu phu dog, he will likely give it wide berth. Depending on where you live, you may have neighbors that feed it. It will become less scared of humans if that is the case. Encourage you kids not to let it approach. If DNR will do anything about it, the will catch it and kill it. Meanwhile it is eating mice and surplus squirrels.

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    I am not convinced this red fox has mange. I had one that was down to a Mohawk on the back of his neck, but that is extreme. Foxes do live in, of all things!, foxholes. If they are anything like my dog, rolling in mud is a bonus so a bit of brown on a fuzzy photo isn't conclusive.

Mange is a parasite like scabies and your dog can get it. Unless you have a phu phu dog, he will likely give it wide berth. Depending on where you live, you may have neighbors that feed it. It will become less scared of humans if that is the case. Encourage you kids not to let it approach. If DNR will do anything about it, the will catch it and kill it. Meanwhile it is eating mice and surplus squirrels.

The image may be better if you click on the YT link and play it in full screen mode. As soon as I opened the door for a clearer image, it ran off.

Not being at all versed on the critters around here I just want to be sure it's not a bobcat or some sort of thing like that. Our dogs are ~25-30# but that video might explain why one of them poops on the porch some nights. :tdown:

jaybee

Ultimate Member
    the sad part is baby foxes - kits get mange from the mother in the den after they are born

foxes are beautiful animals when healthy, but mange is a cruel disease that they literally scratch off their own fur to get rid of the mites under their skin

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    The OP's posts show a red fox, but with the image quality, it is difficult to see exactly what is going on with it.

There is a genetic condition occasionally found in red fox called "Sampson" and it results in the long guard hair component of the coat being missing. In this case, the animal is healthy, but does look odd. The appearance is as if the fox has had his coat trimmed close to his body. It can also resemble mange, in the the coat condition looks poor from a distance.

I know they occur locally because I killed several like this at my old place in Harmans because I thought they were mangy, but they were actually fine and simply a genetic aberration. I have a pair of foxes in the yard here in Virginia that raised pups under the shed this spring, and one of the adults is a Sampson variant.

Foxes tend to look much bigger than they really are, partially due to the way they move and partially because they are very low to the ground, making them look very long.

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    Ed, that long low perception is exactly what I experienced. It's very noticeable in the full screen video. From what I could see there didn't seem to be any sores on it. You might have nailed it in your description. Thanks.

Sundancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Harford County
    Fox. Coyotes where we are weigh more and different color. I live on a farm and hate foxes. Unfortunately I can't dispatch them except in season. Don't feel sorry for them if they have mange either...best cure for mange is lead coated with copper.....

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

Keep in mind that rabies is pretty prevalent in the area, Usually at least one or two foxes a year show up on the farm with it. So not just with this fox, but with others, as well as raccoon and possum are definitely something to steer clear of or keep an eye on. Currently have a mother fox with pups living in the woods behind the house, fortunately they're all healthy and react the appropriate way when they encounter a person. The fact it ran off when you opened the door is a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom