• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    The wife and I headed out the "Golden Mile" just a day or two ago to get a few last things for our son from Toys R Us when I saw that there's an H-Mart going in on the north side of 40 east of the old Frederick Towne Mall.

Not sure if you guys have ever shopped at one, but it's a Korean chain of supermarkets and they're pretty awesome. Way more fresh produce than you'll find in a regular supermarket, tons of different cuts of meat at pretty good prices, and a much larger variety of seafood than you typically find at a market other than Wegman's or Whole Foods. Unlike a lot of other Asian supermarket chains, they tend to be clean and they don't sell "seconds" from the butcher.

Anyway, I'm excited about it going in as it beats the hell out of the only other two in the area which are in rather sketchy neighborhoods in MoCo. Also looks like it'll be much bigger than the others, more along the lines of the Super H-Mart in Fairfax.

Also looks like a new WaWa went in over that way as well. Here's hoping some revitalization happens.

When they first open maybe but give it a couple months and you'll smell bad fish from the fish counter in the back of the store when you walk in the front door... at least any Asian / Ethnic market I have been in holds true to this...

GunLvrPhD

Apr 16, 2008
    Falls Church, VA
    I wouldn't necessarily call the Wheaton or Germantown H-Mart locations sketchy unless you are paranoid of being struck by a car. The worst drivers in the county can be found in those H-Mart parking lot! It's part of the multicultural experience.

It's still Montgomery County--it's not like going to PG, Anacostia or Harlem.

These days I'd rather go to most of PG County than Wheaton.

GunLvrPhD

Apr 16, 2008
    Falls Church, VA
    When they first open maybe but give it a couple months and you'll smell bad fish from the fish counter in the back of the store when you walk in the front door... at least any Asian / Ethnic market I have been in holds true to this...

Yep. All H-Marts smell like rotten fish but if you really want a smell go to the back by the loading docks.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

A lot depends on the individual store and section manager. I've never gotten any weird odors in the EC and Catonsville H-Marts. I have detected some "unusual" odors at a couple of "independent" asian supermarkets I've been in. Ho Ho Mart in Bmore was the worst - I'll never go back there.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I live about 10 minutes from the Wheaton HMart. The produce is generally high quality but the store is too crowded and the parking lot is nucking futs. That said, I have no qualms about driving out to Iron Age on Rockville Pike for Korean BBQ. Their ambience sucks but the food is delicious.

:eek:

I still remember when it was called Hanahreum. I eat at the fish joint across the street, but Mori never seems to be there now.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Hanahreum. Now thats old school. :worship:

:D I hear the damn name a few times a year, my friend uses it still. He loves the place. Picked up some Durian a while back. That is something really different. I wouldn't go out of my way to eat it, but it is OK..

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    So I have done some research online and the last mention of this is on a sub-reddit from back in March 2016 asking when it might open. I haven't been able to find anyting else out there that is more current.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Well, doubly anticipating the H-Mart in Frederick now. The Lotte Plaza in Aspen Hill changed formats to pretty much straight Hispanic for their products at the first of the year. Went in today for work and the Asian dry-goods section is now smaller than the one at the local Giant. Asian stuff has been downsized BIG TIME and pushed to the back of the store, complete 180 from what it used to be. They were even blasting Hispanic pop and rap over the PA system. Never saw so many Korean grandmothers looking so confused in one place at one time.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Yep. All H-Marts smell like rotten fish but if you really want a smell go to the back by the loading docks.

Pretty much all Asian (and specifically Korean-Asian) grocery stores have "that odor".

Honestly all the seafood we've ever gotten from such stores is cheaper and at least as fresh, if not fresher than 'Merican grocery stores. They just don't care as much if there's a stinking trash can of fish bits that only gets cleaned out a couple times a day.

And they have a lot of odd things, especially kimchee and pan chan that stink up the place and are MEANT to smell a little rotten. I never smelled a funkier plane than a cabin full of Asians flying back to the states on Korean Air.

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    Fellow HMart in Ellicott city shopper here, it's nice to see how much people love Korean food :D

I take my friends to BonChon and Honey Pig every chance I get. Shin Chon is right there on 40 also and has great food.

Bon Chon is really expanding. There's a new one coming to crofton by the gold's gym. There also another one coming to canton near mission bbq/iron rooster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom