• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    When you're on a roll... Amazing streak going on. After stealing a Colt Match Target Woodsman recently I was on the hunt for a nice pre-war Woodsman or early pre-Woodsman. What I found and acquired was a super clean Woodsman from late 1941, one of the last built before the war. And the owner, more about him later, replaced the original grips with those from a MT Woodsman, aka "elephant ear" grips. Guess who has a MT needing those original grips and which is now sporting NOS Colt Woodsman grips, WWII vintage? Yup! I just need to swap out the grips and I'll have two correct Woodsman pistols, both from 1941.
    The price wasn't cheap but I think when you figure a nice, clean pre-war Woodsman target is probably worth $700-600 and the grips would fetch about the same amount, maybe more as they're damned near impossible to find. Came in south of $1k so I'm OK with it. The bump in value to my dirt cheap Woodsman MT with the addition of correct grips easily swamps that investment. Killed two birds with one stone for sure.
    As to the original owner. I had a nice conversation with the Illinois gunshop owner who put this Woodsman up for sale on GB and found that the original owner of the Woodsman was a member of an Illinois shooting club during the 40s and 50s. So this was a local pistol sold by the nephew of the original owner.
    The only hitch in all this is that the Illinois shop owner has a policy of only transferring to 01 licences but he was up front with that and I was comfortable letting Skip at S&J do the transfer for me (Shout out for Skip, awesome to do business with). So I hope to have it in hand in a couple weeks time. For now I'll post the nice GB listing photos (yup, don't know what I'll do about the trigger shoe, it's obviously vintage and might just stay with her).

Attachments

• pix685686317.jpg
      pix685686317.jpg
      118.2 KB · Views: 644
    • pix305451847.jpg
      pix305451847.jpg
      119.1 KB · Views: 635
    • pix726960493.jpg
      pix726960493.jpg
      109.3 KB · Views: 636
    Jul 1, 2012
    Crazy awesome :)

I'd leave the shoe on, trigger is probably gouged from the set screws anyway (from experience).

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Very nice! Doubly awesome that it lets you make two correct pistols as well. I second the call to offer both of them up when it arrives and you get the grips swapped.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Will post when I'm "not disapproved" and get it home. Me thinks I'll have to round up some Colts for a Woodsman day at the AGC soon. New GF shows an interest in learning how to shoot, a Woodsman would be ideal in that role.

Jul 1, 2012
    Will post when I'm "not disapproved" and get it home. Me thinks I'll have to round up some Colts for a Woodsman day at the AGC soon. New GF shows an interest in learning how to shoot, a Woodsman would be ideal in that role.

congrats, you HAVE been busy :)

bring out one of the 1903 Model M's too... fun times.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Took me forever to get around to finishing the transfer for the Woodsman Target but it's home now. Grips swapped and all's well with the world. The new Woodsman Target is indeed in excellent condition with an original Colt magazine. Shot little and well cared for.
    Shout out to Falls City Firearms who were a pleasure to deal with and Skip at S&J in Sykesville, always making transfers easy peezy and so affordable.

Attachments

• IMGP8285.JPG
      IMGP8285.JPG
      55.5 KB · Views: 275
    • IMGP8284.JPG
      IMGP8284.JPG
      47 KB · Views: 273
    • IMGP8295.JPG
      IMGP8295.JPG
      39.7 KB · Views: 268
    • IMGP8296.JPG
      IMGP8296.JPG
      40 KB · Views: 271
    • IMGP8291.JPG
      IMGP8291.JPG
      45.2 KB · Views: 269
    • IMGP8292.JPG
      IMGP8292.JPG
      41.6 KB · Views: 272
    • IMGP8288.JPG
      IMGP8288.JPG
      47.3 KB · Views: 284
    • IMGP8290.JPG
      IMGP8290.JPG
      23.5 KB · Views: 266
    • IMGP8294.JPG
      IMGP8294.JPG
      17 KB · Views: 265

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Very nice!

So, being someone who has never looked into the woodsman line that much, can you tell me what design significance the elephant ear grips have? Were they just for show, or do the serve some other purpose? Just curious.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Very nice!

So, being someone who has never looked into the woodsman line that much, can you tell me what design significance the elephant ear grips have? Were they just for show, or do the serve some other purpose? Just curious.

As I understand it, those grips signify a Target Pistol.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    The big rap on the original pre-Woodsman and Woodsman Target is the short grip. I notice it and I've got small hands. Can imagine what someone with bigger paws would feel about it. So the longer grips give a more secure purchase. Sadly they're unsupported, extending beyond the frame of the pistol, so they're prone to damage. Those plastic Colt grips on my Woodsman Target, were introduced during the war for Woodsman pistols used for military training. They're actually quite nice, fit snug as can be (literally snapping into place) and are far stronger than the lovely "elephant ear" grips. It's also why there were so many aftermarket grip manuf. out there like Roper, who hand made beautiful wood target grips, and Franzite who molded affordable plastic grips.
    Photos below show a Roper grips (always in wood) and Franzite.

Attachments

• ColtWoodsmanGripsEditLayers1024Pixel8_zps51509546.jpg
      ColtWoodsmanGripsEditLayers1024Pixel8_zps51509546.jpg
      51.6 KB · Views: 199
    • img_6562 (large).jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
      img_6562 (large).jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
      59.2 KB · Views: 192
    • 1mthereitis40.jpg
      1mthereitis40.jpg
      46.2 KB · Views: 199

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    The big rap on the original pre-Woodsman and Woodsman Target is the short grip. I notice it and I've got small hands. Can imagine what someone with bigger paws would feel about it. So the longer grips give a more secure purchase. Sadly they're unsupported, extending beyond the frame of the pistol, so they're prone to damage. Those plastic Colt grips on my Woodsman Target, were introduced during the war for Woodsman pistols used for military training. They're actually quite nice, fit snug as can be (literally snapping into place) and are far stronger than the lovely "elephant ear" grips. It's also why there were so many aftermarket grip manuf. out there like Roper, who hand made beautiful wood target grips, and Franzite who molded affordable plastic grips.
    Photos below show a Roper grips (always in wood) and Franzite.

Ahh, okay, that makes sense. I was curious specifically due to the fact that they appeared to be unsupported. I didn't know if they accommodated an extended magazine or something similar.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    No extended mag, it's got a heel release so that can't be done. Will say that the extended grips make getting the mag released harder to do. I can now see why the Woodsman MT second series went to the 1911 style mag release. Much easier to manipulate. Then they went back to the heel release with the final third series. That's a head scratcher for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom