• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oupa

Apr 6, 2011
    No that isn't far at ALL. I reported the sighting to DNR this morning. I just called the local office and he confirmed that the bear did kill a pig out my way a month or so ago. The bear was actually eating the same feed as the pigs 3 or 4 times before he decided to take a bite out of one. Yea...I'm thinking its well over 300lbs but again, I'm not a good reference.

It was a year or two ago that DNR brought in a dog team to track and kill a big boar in the Myersville area that had killed several head of stock including "a large llama" (their words not mine). That bear was also over 300 lbs.
    Button up the feeder and probably the grill to. He will be back! Good luck.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Probably between 300 - 400 pounds - that's a big blackie for our area.

I saw some bear scat on a log when I was bowhunting last weekend between Burkittsville and Middletown - made me think about how early I go into the woods too, especially since where I hunt the deer don't come through right at daylight. They're typically moving through from one area to another, most come through between 1 hour and 3 hours after first light.

Just a caution - if you shot the bear and claimed self defense, you would need the bullet paths to back you up - i.e., DNR would frown on a self-defense claim if the shots were broadside...

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    Gorgeous Bear

Reminds me of the one back in 2000. Had all kinds of sightings from Cumberland to Hagerstown to Frederick to Woodbine. Then along the Patapsco and the poor animal ends up getting hit by a truck along the BW parkway near Hanover.
    A close neighbor had a video, much like yours, of the bear on their deck.
    When phoned into DNR and asked what they should do they were told "stay off your deck while he is out there". DUH :sad20: :lol2:

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    There is one man for the job

d2ae253e.jpg

:lol2:

Just saw his name in my phone earlier and was wondering where he's been.

May have to inform him of this bad bully bear.

...and to you SOAD fans, for bears, eating seeds is a past time activity. ;)

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    It was a year or two ago that DNR brought in a dog team to track and kill a big boar in the Myersville area that had killed several head of stock including "a large llama" (their words not mine). That bear was also over 300 lbs.
    Button up the feeder and probably the grill to. He will be back! Good luck.

How do you get the inside scoop, pm me. I had cooked chicken on the grill last night and thank goodness JUST put the smoker in the garge hours before he came.

Probably between 300 - 400 pounds - that's a big blackie for our area.

I saw some bear scat on a log when I was bowhunting last weekend between Burkittsville and Middletown - made me think about how early I go into the woods too, especially since where I hunt the deer don't come through right at daylight. They're typically moving through from one area to another, most come through between 1 hour and 3 hours after first light.

Just a caution - if you shot the bear and claimed self defense, you would need the bullet paths to back you up - i.e., DNR would frown on a self-defense claim if the shots were broadside...

I've been seeing signs for a while, just never laid eyes on one. I notice a deer carcass in the woods and checked it the following day, it was 30 feet from the last time I saw it and large bear scat. Ths just confirms what I thought, but was shocked at the size of him, he is HUGE!

I have zero plans to shoot this bear I actually enjoy seeing them. On my deck is too close for comfort. And yes I agree...I don't see much activity on my property until afternoon.

Haven't lived in this house for a year yet and heard coyotes, caught one on the trail cam and had one with in 15 yards of my stand a month or so ago. The next 30 years will prove interesting for sure.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    That thing looks 300lbs easy.

Could you shoot it with rubbber buckshot or would that be illegal?

I would think if you stung it a few times with some rubber shot maybe that would discourage it from coming around?

Figures, 2 years in a row I got skunked on bear in Maine and all I had to do was come to your back porch.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Just gonna leave him alone, best thing to do at this point.

The sad reality is...it's likely that this bear will be shot if it continues to raid porches and garbage cans/bags for food. Once they find that easy food source, they keep coming back; at some point they'll go to someone's house who gets really scared or flat doesn't want a bear around, and the bear will likely be shot.

Not much you can do to avert that, just keep your porch free of food/bait to keep it off your porch...

LANDFORGOTTEN

Sep 28, 2012
    WA state
    I would have trouble killing a bear unless absolutely necessary. I have loved eating game meat when over populated or deemed okay by the state powers that be: Deer, Elk, Moose. I miss Maine and if I or someone I knew was lucky enough to get tag for moose.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    My grandfather shot a black bear about that size. It was coming at him, and he put a .300 Savage in its head about 1/2cm above the left eye. That was that.

He had it made into a rug, which we had for years until my pothead wiccan-witch cousin borrowed it for a play and it was stolen back-stage.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Well he was back again...

Long story short, there was 3 deer carcasses in the woods from previous activities during the week. Went out Saturday morning for a few hours only to find one of the bird houses on the ground. I thought hmm....someone was back, so I pulled the trail cam memory card and hunted for a few hours. Got out to check on the carcasses and yep one moved 10 ft or so and lots of leaves disturbed, although no signs of scat. On the way back up, I'm looking hard for tracks and nothing, this bear is a NINJA LOL. Found another bird house on the ground on the way up so I was pretty sure it was him.

Pulled the trail cam pics and it was him again, got him twice. Go to sleep big bear and leave me alone hahaha.

53755d6bf34bc0e9035cfa1a0d3d3b78.jpg

Last edited:

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Shot this nine point with my bow last Saturday in the Burkittsville area; was off on Monday, so took my bow back up the mountain and checked out my deer gutpile. Gone, and a nice pile of bear scat a few feet away.

Wonder if it's the same bear, he's traveling a ways if he's hitting Myersville and Burkittsville areas both, bears don't always travel far when they find good food sources. Maybe our bear population is growing in Frederick County...

DSCN0802.jpg

MentalSquint

Can't Stomp Us Out
    Dec 6, 2007
    Frederick
    I always used to see the most interesting stuff hunting up Gathland, but I think ill pass on the black bears. Being gawked at by hikers was annoying enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom