• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STSCM

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2008
    Lusby, MD
    Agreed, will call Tri-County and see if they'll do it today. I'll still wait a bit for NFCU, it shouldn't take them very long to determine this.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    I never got that far when I attempted with NFCU, got the need a copy of trust, oh wait its a NFA trust sorry cant help you and then got stonewalled from there. Started to work with USAA, but decided not to proceed mostly due to similar setup as NFCU, where the person reviewing deciding was in an office hundreds of miles away and no way for me to just go in and talk to someone face to face. And the two people I talked to on the phone werent knowledgable on trusts.

Tried Cedar Point and they balked due to the possibility that someone could end up as a Trustee who did not meet their membership criteria, but outside of that claimed they would have issued.

I ended up going with PNC, free checking no minimum balance, and no stupid we can't manage it or can not take on the liability of being associated with your trust cause we cannot account for those types of assets.

I went through all this starting in August 2011, and due to delays in getting answers was successful early september.

As an aside: I have been very impressed with PNC since they bought Mercantile. Having been a Mercantile customer for nearly 30 years I was concerned. Even though they are a PITTSBURG bank, I am glad I didn't move my accounts.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    As an aside: I have been very impressed with PNC since they bought Mercantile. Having been a Mercantile customer for nearly 30 years I was concerned. Even though they are a PITTSBURG bank, I am glad I didn't move my accounts.

I was with PNC when I lived in Philly and I was very happy with their services.

StillServing

I know NOTHING !
    Feb 1, 2011
    Calvert County
    I just got a voicemail from the supervisor who was sending my Trust out for review.....and her answer is that Navy Federal is sticking by thier policy to not allow accounts for "gun trusts". She left me her number and I left her a voicemail to try and get some clarification as to why.......stay tuned....

Bart_man

Clinging to gun&religion
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hazzard County
    I just got a voicemail from the supervisor who was sending my Trust out for review.....and her answer is that Navy Federal is sticking by thier policy to not allow accounts for "gun trusts". She left me her number and I left her a voicemail to try and get some clarification as to why.......stay tuned....

Yeah if they do that...Please post a point of contact regarding this policy so that I can call that person in specific and tell them why I am leaving them as a customer.

StillServing

I know NOTHING !
    Feb 1, 2011
    Calvert County
    I just got off the phone with Ada Okenfor (last name spelling is wrong I'm sure). Her direct line is 1-800-883-3323 ext. 44055. Now don't call and give her grief, she tried to explain to me the rational behind what the NFCU general counsel has stated. I did get from her that NFCU has specifically stated that they will not open or manage accounts for "gun trusts" dealing with NFA items specifically. I don't have the exact wording in writing, but did get her to admit to that much at least.
    I also told her (which she can't do anything about) that I will be taking the 5 accounts that I've had with NFCU for over 20 yrs elsewhere, and that I'm very disappointed with the institution for specifically barring this type of account. Especially since they cater specifically towards the military, veterans and DOD.
    I was told that my only recourse would be to write the Board of NFCU with my complaints/concerns.

I already have everything set with CPFCU and have the P.O.C that deals with Trusts if anyone else is interested. CPFCU sends the trust out to a local law firm to get the O.K that all is in order prior to opening the account and was told that family members of current members or people eligible for membership are also OK to have on the account, i.e your co-trustee if any. Myself and a few other individuals just dropped a bunch of Trusts on thier desk and helped educate her a little. Hopefully that paves the way for others to get through a little easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom