• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    What are people using to secure a handgun within reach, bedside. I have two young children, so security is a must, but I also have a desire to keep a weapon handy at night (pistol with a light mounted). There are some obvious solutions (small safe next to the bed/drawer, etc.).

I'm just curious to know what others are doing.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I use a Gunvault Micro Vault. I keep 2 handguns plus spare mags in it. I open it at bed tiime and close in the morning. It has an quick open touch pad to unlock it. Im happy with it.

www.gunvault.com

also look HERE

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    disguise it as a phone...

j/k

I'd have to get to the safe in the closet... I guess I should just put it out every and put it back in the safe in the AM. But my kids are old enough that I wouldn't worry about them sneaking into the bedroom at night and messing with it.

I'd more worry about me forgetting to put it away in the morning.

Fustercluck

Aug 4, 2008
    Eastern Shore
    I have a small safe bolted to the shelf in my closet that holds two handguns. Combination only. Although I cannot access it "Hollywood fast", I can get to a weapon within 5 seconds, which is the best compromise I could come up with, with 3 young kids in the house. My rationale was that, with my Chesie roaming the house at nighttime, I would have enough time to get to it without someone sneaking into my bedroom.

http://www.gunvault.com/handgun-safes/mini-mini-deluxe/gv1000c-dlx.html

B1web

Cogito Ergo Sum! (cogito)
    Jan 11, 2008
    +1 on gunvault. Have a few scattered through out the house.

:thumbsup:

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Kydex holster... bolted on the bedframe. ( then covered by a comforter) Mount is so that as soon you reach for the pistol.. it is right there.

Routine: Brush teeth, tuck in kids.. tuck in pistol.. go to bed

A serpa holster mounted with a couple of screws/ washer should do the trick.

Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    Kydex holster... bolted on the bedframe. ( then covered by a comforter) Mount is so that as soon you reach for the pistol.. it is right there.

Thats excellent. Im doing that tonight. Great idea.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB

I sleep with my pistol under my pillow like I'm waiting for the Glock fairy. Condition 3, though.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I keep the AR next to the bed, magazine loaded, empty chamber, Aimpoint on. I don't think the kids (two dogs) are going to rack the gun and make a go of it, but I don't have any toddlers in the house.

Jim

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I have a small safe bolted to the shelf in my closet that holds two handguns. Combination only. Although I cannot access it "Hollywood fast", I can get to a weapon within 5 seconds, which is the best compromise I could come up with, with 3 young kids in the house. My rationale was that, with my Chesie roaming the house at nighttime, I would have enough time to get to it without someone sneaking into my bedroom.

http://www.gunvault.com/handgun-safes/mini-mini-deluxe/gv1000c-dlx.html

Get the wife on board one night. Next time she wakes up in the middle of the night have her wake you and ask you to access the safe. Your 5 seconds is going to turn into minutes I'd bet.

I'm not really sure what a good alternative is though with kids in the house. I'd venture to say a good safe in a bedstand would be better then closet. I dont use my bottom nightstand at all and I'm sure I could "trap" out part of the night stand with a small safe.

Dont forget to bring other items to bed with you. It wasnt until I really began to think about it that I began to bring my glasses and keys to bed. It's hard to get to the ammo/gun/magazine stash safe when the keys are downstairs. I've always planned on using a handgun to fight to the longgun safe due to the size of my house then i realized I didnt bring the keys into the bedroom every night.

Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    disguise it as a phone...

j/k

I'd have to get to the safe in the closet... I guess I should just put it out every and put it back in the safe in the AM. But my kids are old enough that I wouldn't worry about them sneaking into the bedroom at night and messing with it.

I'd more worry about me forgetting to put it away in the morning.

:lol: :lol2:

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    you guys will probably laugh but I sleep with a single shot 12ga next to the bed. I keep it unloaded with buckshot on the nightstand. I like having the 12ga and I figure if they come to the bedroom it will be a real threat against our lives and I can legally take the shot. I dont have kids so no need to worry and the wife shoots. I have thought about getting a gun vault. may have to look at them a little closer.

Platekiller

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    you guys will probably laugh but I sleep with a single shot 12ga next to the bed. I keep it unloaded with buckshot on the nightstand. I like having the 12ga and I figure if they come to the bedroom it will be a real threat against our lives and I can legally take the shot. I dont have kids so no need to worry and the wife shoots. I have thought about getting a gun vault. may have to look at them a little closer.

Platekiller

What if two come into the room? Or even 3? maybe 4?

Playing odds it's typically 0 are going to enter your house ever uninvited...but a single shot isnt idea.

RangerWillrett

Jun 20, 2011
    Mineral Co WV
    I was raised in a house where the key to the gun cabinet was always in the lock or laying on top "so it doesn't get lost." I keep a single shot 410 beside the dresser open and unloaded but still out of reach of my daughter with some shells on the dresser. I also hang my p95 from a belt on the bed post in the holster empty with a clip also in the holster. The 95 gets put away in the morning.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I can't say enough about firearm safety; so because you are asking this question I won't start.

Ok, just one thing. While attending some training the instructors spoke at length about this issue. Their bottom line, policy, regarding absolute minimum that was 'acceptable' was to put the gun in a holster, their holsters have a hole drilled through the leather behind the trigger, but inside the trigger guard. Each officer was issued a combination padlock specifically for the purpose of putting it through that hole. There is enough room inside the shackle that you could also attach it to something else so it is much more difficult for a child to move it, and impossible to fire the weapon without cutting through the holster/trigger guard or lock shackle. It's not perfect but a good balance for some between speed to access and deter a child. Do what's best/right for you and your situation. Stay safe!

This lock would work even better:

ffemtreed

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2011
    Wilmington, NC
    If I had children in my house my self defense gun would be right next to me in the bedroom with a full mag and one in the chamber. My bedroom door would be locked at night while I am sleeping and the gun would get locked in a safe when I am not in the bedroom.

A pistol in one of those quick access safes is great to keep little hands off the gun when your not around, but I don't trust those things for quick access.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom