Starting the form 4 process - MSP or CLEO signoff??

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Suggest those who are engaging in calling names chill out if they want to stay here. It's not going to be tolerated. :bullhorn:

Papi4baby

WWJBD
    May 10, 2009
    California
    Now there is also the question if you need MSP to sign it to stay legal with state law! Remember MD has their own set of MG rules.

I tend to think you are correct. You could also request from MSP where in writing they have the sole authority to sign these forms!!! Now that would get them!

While we are at it, how can they not accept cash!!! I don't use checks and hate having to get a MO in an exact amount. How can they legally not take cash? Read the bill: "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private"

I am guessing is to avoid theft and fraud plus it leaves more of a paper trail.

And not to be combative but, you will go to all the trouble to fill out the forms and get finger printed but going to the post office is a big deal?

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    "I am guessing is to avoid theft and fraud plus it leaves more of a paper trail."

Makes me feel great that we are worried about minor amounts of money being stolen OUT OF THE POLICE STATION! But you are probably right!

"And not to be combative but, you will go to all the trouble to fill out the forms and get finger printed but going to the post office is a big deal?"

First, its the point of it. If you own a business or do a service and refuse cash, you void any debt owed to you!
    Second, its not the going to the post office but the call to the police to make sure I get the correct amount on the MO. God knows if I just get it at the $18, it will go up a buck this time or I will have remembered it wrong. Its just one more PITA thats unconstitutional to begin with!

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Second, its not the going to the post office but the call to the police to make sure I get the correct amount on the MO. God knows if I just get it at the $18, it will go up a buck this time or I will have remembered it wrong. Its just one more PITA thats unconstitutional to begin with!

FYI,
    If you are dealing with one dealer on your NFA items, then it is an $18 fee to MSP. This can be for one Form 4(or Form 1), or ten of them......still $18. Also only requires only 1 purple fingerprint card.

If you are dealing with multiple dealers, it is an $18 fee PER dealer. And YOU count as a dealer if you are doing a Form 1 yourself. You also need 1 purple fingerprint card per dealer.

For Example
    If you were doing all of these at one time with MSP:
    Silencer from Dealer A
    Machine Gun from Dealer B
    SBR on a Form 1 yourself

MSP requires 3 purple fingerprint cards and $54 Check or MO made payable to MSP. Along with 2 copies of each of your forms of course.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    For Example
    If you were doing all of these at one time with MSP:
    Silencer from Dealer A
    Machine Gun from Dealer B
    SBR on a Form 1 yourself

Haha, funny you say that... I did almost exactly that one time except the MG and Suppressor were from the same guy and not a dealer (In state) and the SBR was from a dealer...

Yes been there a few times at this point... I got the process down, thanks.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Yes been there a few times at this point... I got the process down, thanks.

This was really intended for the education of those new to NFA.

I'm WELL aware that this "ain't your first rodeo". I'll see you at our next MD TCA meeting and FA shoot at AGC this Spring.
    Rich

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Did any of us read the state law or are we going to rely on the Internet to tell us the law?

I suggest before ANYONE states that something is legal or illegal that they know the specific statute that covers the act. If you have not read the law or understand the law, you really don't have a leg to stand on.

I see too much of this, "I think that you have to do x in order to have y." where the person hasn't even taken the time to look up the statutes involved.

Maryland_Shooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 8, 2008
    Glen Arm
    I emailed Mike Evans directly already and he said he did not see any reason why he would not sign. Also some of the guys live in St Mary's and Cameron said he was familiar with the form and had no issues signing it. I then proceeded to call MSP HQ and talk to the woman there. She said they (MSP) HAD to sign it or it wouldn't be any good. When I read to her the verbiage from the ATF form 4 she just kept saying that MSP has a designated person and that the chief law enforcement officer fo all of MD was the Head f the State Police and they had a designated person to sign and that the ATF wouldn't approve it otherwise.

Now that's a good source for info - the MSP - NOT

Maryland_Shooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 8, 2008
    Glen Arm
    Did any of us read the state law or are we going to rely on the Internet to tell us the law?

I suggest before ANYONE states that something is legal or illegal that they know the specific statute that covers the act. If you have not read the law or understand the law, you really don't have a leg to stand on.

I see too much of this, "I think that you have to do x in order to have y." where the person hasn't even taken the time to look up the statutes involved.

Nah - shooters would NEVER do that - would they? :innocent0

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I'm WELL aware that this "ain't your first rodeo". I'll see you at our next MD TCA meeting and FA shoot at AGC this Spring.
    Rich

Rich, forgot that was you. Yeah I will catch you soon!

Its not really in the law. Plus we are in MD so a lot of the time it does not even matter that much... Most of us have gone through the law but a lot of things are still unclear!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom