Meal Kit Supply MREs - back in stock soon (3/30/20)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LiveSteamer

Mar 22, 2020
    The Republic of Texas
    I bought a couple of cases of MRE's in preparation for Y2K, lol... I obviously didn't need them for that non event. Tried a couple of them just to see what they were like. Was gonna keep the rest around, just in case. When I was diagnosed with Celiac disease (food allergy to the gluten in wheat, barley, oats, and rye) eating MRE's was out of the question. I donated the remaining MRE'so to the local food pantry. In 1996 Senator Cruz famously stated he would oppose the military acquiring Gluten Free MRE's.

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    I bought a couple of cases of MRE's in preparation for Y2K, lol... I obviously didn't need them for that non event. Tried a couple of them just to see what they were like. Was gonna keep the rest around, just in case. When I was diagnosed with Celiac disease (food allergy to the gluten in wheat, barley, oats, and rye) eating MRE's was out of the question. I donated the remaining MRE'so to the local food pantry. In 1996 Senator Cruz famously stated he would oppose the military acquiring Gluten Free MRE's.

Check out mountain house. They started organizing by gluten free. Currently a lot is sold out and it’s fairly pricy though

LiveSteamer

Mar 22, 2020
    The Republic of Texas
    Check out mountain house. They started organizing by gluten free. Currently a lot is sold out and it’s fairly pricy though

Thanks, I should have mentioned that I had found alternatives, mostly dehydrated foods from Mountain House, Costco, Augason Farms, Harmony House, My Patriot Supply, Wise Food Storage, Northwest Fork, Legacy Food Storage, and others. Then there are can goods from grocery stores such as Walmart. The only long term storage problem I haven't solved is gluten free crackers. There are long term storage crackers available, but I haven't found any that are gluten free. I am considering making my own gluten free hard tack as an alternative.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    One thing to watch with some of the long term storage kits is, what they consider 1 meal for one person.

Wise uses servings. So 3 meals for a day is only about 600 - 700 calories. Mountain House is more of 1 pound = 1 meal, so more around 1800 calories per day.

Shop wisely.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    I saw them at Bass Pro or Cabelas, dont remember which. It wasnt MRE packaged, but it was the same Bridgford pizza in their own branded package. 2 Slices in a pack.

https://www.mreinfo.com/mres/mre-menus/

This is a good site with a lot of information. I keep two Military MRE Boxes on hand. On the 2019 Menu it is "23 – Pepperoni Pizza Slice" out of case "B" had has the Pizza. They are great for hiking, hunting, emergencies. Better than the old C rations, I was on the end of those when I first joined the military. The MREs have improved over time, but there are somethings I miss. Like that little bottle of Tabasco sauce.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    https://www.mreinfo.com/mres/mre-menus/

This is a good site with a lot of information. I keep two Military MRE Boxes on hand. On the 2019 Menu it is "23 – Pepperoni Pizza Slice" out of case "B" had has the Pizza. They are great for hiking, hunting, emergencies. Better than the old C rations, I on the end of those when I first joined the military. The MREs have improved over time, but there are somethings I miss. Like that little bottle of Tabasco sauce.
    You can buy those separately...same size.

LiveSteamer

Mar 22, 2020
    The Republic of Texas
    The minature Tabasco sauce bottles, like those that were in MRE's, are available from Amazon, currently 30 bottles for $ 20.48, free Prime delivery. An alternative is the small 3 gram packets of Tabasco sauce like those little packets of mustard, ketchup, mayonnaise, etc. found in fast food joints. I occasionally find them at restaurants and when I do I grab a handful for my preps. The packets are also available from Amazon, 50 for $ 13.49, Prime. Research on shelf life of most condiment packets is they are safe for at least a year.

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    We prepare a Mountain House meal occasionally (train the way you fight?) just so the fam sees how it’s done and knows how they taste.
    Most were fairly good, but definitely salty.
    Scrambled eggs with bacon is “an acquired taste”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    We prepare a Mountain House meal occasionally (train the way you fight?) just so the fam sees how it’s done and knows how they taste.

Biscuits and gravy is fantastic. I add some of my regular scrambled eggs in the bag. Such a delicious mess.

Hansum

Feb 14, 2019

Not bad if you hit it with some mixed pepper flakes or hot sauce. Wasting the water sucks though.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

MADad

Sep 8, 2013
    Charles County
    Having lost a lot of my colon to cancer, I don’t need anything that would cause a stoppage! Unfortunately, that’s a result of surgery.

Onceuponatime

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 19, 2018
    The C-ration actually ended in 1958, and was replaced by the MCI.

Both were similar so most people called the MCI a C-rat

OH OH YES - you're so right. My father called everything a C-rat... lol

He did 3 tours in Viet Nam - 2 Purple Hearts and the Bronze Star so I figured he could call them whatever the hell he wanted to.....LOL

I had plenty myself when I was in the military but by then they were MRE's.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    OH OH YES - you're so right. My father called everything a C-rat... lol

He did 3 tours in Viet Nam - 2 Purple Hearts and the Bronze Star so I figured he could call them whatever the hell he wanted to.....LOL

I had plenty myself when I was in the military but by then they were MRE's.

We had MCIs in survival training. But, as with most others, called the C-rats.

It wasn't until many years later I looked into the history of rations and learned about MCI rations. And the ones that came before.

And how, in WWII, they developed 3 different rations. One "normal" one. One for tropical and one for Arctic (higher in fat content). But this was simplified to one type, because the Quartermaster Corps could not deal with sending the right type of ration to the right troops. :sad20::sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom