• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    While I appreciate some of the newer (PVD) finishes on handguns and how great a job they do protecting against wear and corrosion, I still like a blued gun more than either nickel, stainless or any other finish for that matter. There's just something about that polished blue/inky black finish on older firearms, ya know? Anyone who has ever owned a Schultz & Larsen rifle or a Colt Python knows the feeling.

But when S&W released the Model 629 during the early 80's, I bought a 6" one and it immediately became a favorite. It was my first all-stainless firearm. The second whitetail deer I ever shot with a handgun was with that revolver, during a steady rain and gusty winds that normally would've had me fretting over keeping a blued gun (Model 57) as dry as possible but, with the 629 wearing a set of Pachmayr target grips, I didn't have to care. Not even a little. Stainless was simple to maintain and corrosion was no longer much of a consideration

2ADg6Na.jpg

Stainless 1911's are something you either love or you hate. I happen to like them a lot for the same reasons I appreciated my old S&W 629. They're a breeze to maintain and nowadays semi-custom manufacturers like Guncrafter and Ed Brown have really taken it to the next level of finishing. I don't think anyone makes a prettier matte stainless 1911 than Ed Brown but, this Guncrafter Frag I got about a month ago (and just now have had a chance to shoot) is very close to it.

titUzxt.jpg

There's nothing better than hitting the range on a Saturday morning with friends and new guns to shoot, especially after the last month has been just one bizarre and terrifying incident after another in terms of family health issues and work-related insanity. The range is therapy even if it is an indoor one that challenges your low-light shooting abilities. I didn't care, though.

Vf2122Y.jpg

The usual drill: reliability check, POA/POI check, mag drop and reload check, just-try-to-hit-the-target-and-not-look-stupid-doing-it check, distances of 7, 10 and 15 yards, 100 rounds of Geco 230gr FMJ for testing. I like Geco .45 ACP. It functions consistently reliable and accurate (for mass produced factory ammo). Plus, for .45 it's not outrageously expensive at .28 center p/r and free shipping.

FzPdhWJ.jpg

7 yards, 20 rounds.

To prevent shooting too fast, I loaded three rounds at a time and paused for several seconds between magazine reloads. One thing is certain, the 'Frag' pattern used for the grips and on the front and rear back straps of the frame is more effective than I expected it to be. The pistol did not shift in my shooting hand at all.

DuF1WlF.jpg

10 yards, 15 rounds.

Dead-on with a six o'clock hold, even if I wasn't completely on this particular day. Blame it on the lighting, right? LOL It was impossible to clearly see the 'gold' bead front sight (it's actually brass) and that meant using front sight/rear sight height alignment and using my best guess. It's probably a good thing to practice doing that intentionally.

65vQkqc.jpg

15 yards, 20 rounds

Fifteen yards is where things start getting slightly hinky for me on an indoor range but, overall, I wasn't disappointed. The stainless Frag performed flawlessly and just as I expected it would.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Nice have always been a Guncrafter fan. Been Jonesing for their .50GI with a extra .45 slide for a while.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Sweet shooting pistol. Thanks for letting me try it! Felt like the slide was running on ball bearings. So smooth. Shot my most accurate target that session with 5 pistols using the FRAG.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Sweet shooting pistol. Thanks for letting me try it! Felt like the slide was running on ball bearings. So smooth. Shot my most accurate target that session with 5 pistols using the FRAG.

You're welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed it and I have to admit that I was impressed with how well your Glock 17 LE surplus could shoot some incredibly tight groups. You got a great deal on that thing!

Can't wait to do it again! :party29:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    You're welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed it and I have to admit that I was impressed with how well your Glock 17 LE surplus could shoot some incredibly tight groups. You got a great deal on that thing!

Can't wait to do it again! :party29:
    That was the $300 Glock 19 Gen 3 from Atlantic Guns that R&R helped me pick out. Bob (from Gunrunners) put some Ameriglo Agent sights on it as well as put in the Glock extended mag release and Lantac SSR 3.5 lb trigger connector. Yeah, I'm happy with it.
    9ab41a2ee2316910f7444e0582ad0232.jpg
    08312824fea8543091c2e06b18c19bf6.jpg
    d1e973faebbb4a373c2d30a1e80a0d91.jpg

Sorry to Glockify your thread.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Nice pistol, nice shooting. FWIW, my experience is beads, dots, fiber optics are speed enhancements on practical size targets at practical distances. Good job.

EmYnM5t.jpg

Thank you! I have one set of preferences for 1911's and another set for other types of semi-autos, revolvers, etc. When it comes to 1911's, I like 'simple' - fixed sights, no rail, single thumb safety, although, I will say that the ambi safety on my Springer TRP has worked pretty darn good the few times I've tried it.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I am more utilitarian in my tastes and preferences. Some features I can take or leave, or are application driven. Some very basic features on firearms I am adamant about. Sights tend to run basic - black front, black and adjustable rear.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    How harsh is the frag fronstrap checkering on your hands? On par with typical cut checkering? Either way, nice looking 1911.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    How harsh is the frag fronstrap checkering on your hands? On par with typical cut checkering? Either way, nice looking 1911.

Thanks! I didn't find it the least bit abrasive but, I only shot 100 rounds. Tomorrow is supposed to be decent (Sunny, Hi 50) and I've got some other factory loads I'd like to try in it. It might be a good day to take it outside!

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I had a SA Trophy Match which had sharp 20 lpi checkering. The checkering felt harsh at first, but was never an issue during that first shooting session nor any time the pistol was fired there after. It is more a case of the feel being unfamiliar than painful.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I had a SA Trophy Match which had sharp 20 lpi checkering. The checkering felt harsh at first, but was never an issue during that first shooting session nor any time the pistol was fired there after. It is more a case of the feel being unfamiliar than painful.

Ditto for the TRP. Feels like it would be very abrasive but, in reality, not bad at all. I've tried Frag-pattern VZ and LOK grips on other pistols with good results, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom