• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    Anyone using a Criterion HBAR Barrel? - Update: I ordered one

Anyone using a Criterion HBAR Barrel?

Eyeing this one: https://criterionbarrels.com/products/ar-15/ar-15-hbar-contour-barrel/

I saw Clandestine recommend them, and a few others mention that they’re good barrels, but haven’t seen a lot of reviews specific to the HBAR. Outside of MD, it seems, most shooters are going to various lightweight/mid-weight/hybrid profiles.

Any firsthand experience, particularly with the 16” HBAR?

Attachments

• ar15hbarmain.jpg
      ar15hbarmain.jpg
      4 KB · Views: 1,194
    Last edited:

KYtoMD

Mar 23, 2017
    MD
    Anyone using a Criterion HBAR Barrel?

Eyeing this one: https://criterionbarrels.com/products/ar-15/ar-15-hbar-contour-barrel/

I saw Clandestine recommend them, and a few others mention that they’re good barrels, but haven’t seen a lot of reviews specific to the HBAR. Outside of MD, it seems, most shooters are going to various lightweight/mid-weight/hybrid profiles.

Any firsthand experience, particularly with the 16” HBAR?

Their HBAR barrels should perform just as well as the other profiles. All of them are button-rifled and then hand-lapped for consistency.

IIRC HBAR Criterion barrels are pretty popular in high power competition.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Purchased the Criterion 16" HBAR in Apr. 2017 to do my first AR15 build. It's a tack driver. Specs below-- it is chambered in .223 Wylde.

Barrel, 16", AR, HBAR, 1x8, Chrome Lined, Match Quality, FA by Criterion

Barrel Type: THREADED MUZZLE
    FA-AU-003-TM 1 $233.71 $233.71

It also comes stamped "HBAR" --- so you have that going for you as a MD resident...which is nice...

Last edited:

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Never on an ar15 but have 3 of them on bolt guns. They are very popular on savage and remage builds. Rarely ever hear of one that wont shoot sub moa.

GottaEat

Aug 24, 2014
    SOMD
    I broke mine in last Friday. Tried a bunch of different factory ammo. Wolf gold(personal cheap favorite)didn’t do as well as I have experienced with other barrels. Magtech otm77gr and AE 75gr stayed just over 1moa. AE 50gr a little over moa also. Had a sub moa Nosler 69gr group. First time using the Magtech and I think I need more. All five shot groups with a bipod.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I also saw that thread and got in a 16" HBAR mid length gas stainless.

Only been to the range twice with it.
    So far its 1MOA after making a custom reload with 69SMK and doing an OCW on it.
    I need more time on it for sure.

I have some 69gr Federal GMM to run in it next trip out.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Built one of their mid-length 16" midweight sold under Midwest industries. It's a good solid barrel, one of the better "basic" chrome lined / Parkerized barrels made, fit tight in the upper, shot good groups. Have opted for melonited barrels from other companies in the last couple years, seems more resistant to rusting, supposed to last as long, but not quite as easy to clean.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    Purchased the Criterion 16" HBAR in Apr. 2017 to do my first AR15 build. It's a tack driver. Specs below-- it is chambered in .223 Wylde.

Barrel, 16", AR, HBAR, 1x8, Chrome Lined, Match Quality, FA by Criterion

Barrel Type: THREADED MUZZLE
    FA-AU-003-TM 1 $233.71 $233.71

It also comes stamped "HBAR" --- so you have that going for you as a MD resident...which is nice...
    Excellent, that’s what want to hear. :thumbsup: HBAR marking is a bonus.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    I broke mine in last Friday. Tried a bunch of different factory ammo. Wolf gold(personal cheap favorite)didn’t do as well as I have experienced with other barrels. Magtech otm77gr and AE 75gr stayed just over 1moa. AE 50gr a little over moa also. Had a sub moa Nosler 69gr group. First time using the Magtech and I think I need more. All five shot groups with a bipod.
    Thanks. I’d be hoping for barely-sub-MOA with quality 77gr ammo. Wolf Gold, MagTech, IMI, Federal Gold Medal 5.56 & .223 loads with the 77 SMK, etc.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    A lot of rebuilt M1 rifles have Criterion barrels..

Never on an ar15 but have 3 of them on bolt guns. They are very popular on savage and remage builds. Rarely ever hear of one that wont shoot sub moa.
    Thanks guys. When I’ve googled reviews, many of them are for Criterion’s M1, 1903, and bolt action barrels. They can obviously make some quality stuff.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    I also saw that thread and got in a 16" HBAR mid length gas stainless.

Only been to the range twice with it.
    So far its 1MOA after making a custom reload with 69SMK and doing an OCW on it.
    I need more time on it for sure.

I have some 69gr Federal GMM to run in it next trip out.
    Cool. What optic are you using?

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    Built one of their mid-length 16" midweight sold under Midwest industries. It's a good solid barrel, one of the better "basic" chrome lined / Parkerized barrels made, fit tight in the upper, shot good groups. Have opted for melonited barrels from other companies in the last couple years, seems more resistant to rusting, supposed to last as long, but not quite as easy to clean.
    Good to hear. I’m ambivalent about chrome lined, stainless, melonite, whatever. This will be an accuracy build, shot in lower volume from the bench. A little time cleaning won’t kill me.

Last edited:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Had the AR I swapped in the Criterion barrel and shot my reloads along with some Federal Gold Medal Match. Both shot consistently at 1moa. I did not have my rear bad so I’m happy with that. I’m sure the barrel could do better than that with better glass a rear bag and a better shooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 28, 2013
    I ordered the same barrel in mid-length for the next one I’m doin. Mine ain’t stamped, but that’s the least of my concerns. :innocent0

Cicirich

Feb 10, 2013
    I ordered the same barrel in mid-length for the next one I’m doin. Mine ain’t stamped, but that’s the least of my concerns. :innocent0

How did you order from? I ordered one from OpticsPlanet and had to send it back. Lots of rust.

Attachments

• 8FAC211B-5E05-406A-92AE-EA625BF434AB.jpg
      8FAC211B-5E05-406A-92AE-EA625BF434AB.jpg
      30.2 KB · Views: 456

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom