• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CombatAK

Hooligan #12
    Sep 1, 2015
    Cresaptown
    Hornady makes .36 cal balls that are .350. If those lead balls are handmade, could it be a .36 cal? It is a beautiful rifle nevertheless.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    ~.36 cal is awfully light for deer. More of a small game caliber. Those buffalo .54 caliber rifles were typically using minie balls weight twice as much or more than a round ball bore diameter would be. Round ball .50-.54 caliber is a more typical/traditional deer caliber for a muzzle loader

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    No Minie balls in a Hawken.

Minies have to keep the velocity down, like below 1000 fps, or else the skirt will blow. Thus they have a rainbow trajectory. Round balls can be fired at much higher velocity.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Good hunting rifle for smaller game. Informal target shooting, all round nice light rifle. On the light side for deer, but I'll bet it was used for deer.

Folks in those days didn't have a concept of a fun gun, because guns are tools, and life is about work and duty, consarn it.

But yes, fun gun. Nice gun.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Hawken calibers are larger for western game. The eastern forest guns couldn’t cut it against grizzlys and elk. Funny this one has an engraving of a hunter and two birds that look like ducks. If the barrel has been cut down some, i’d guess it was a fowling piece. I have one and the barrel is over 32” but i cant measure now. And that quarter stock would also be normal in a fowler. Best part of old guns is the puzzle.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    36 caliber would make a good small game rifle.
    A 32 caliber muzzleloader is pretty close to a 22LR/22Magnum. About 50gr bullet at around 1500FPS with 15-20 grains of powder. A .350 caliber round ball isn't much heavier at about 65gr.
    You don't often see muzzleloading rifles any smaller than .32 - they are hard to load and the ramrod would be prone to breakage.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Looks like a mid 50's or even to the sixties build when muzzloading started to become popular. Judging by the pictures and I could be wrong it looks like a mix of old and new parts to make a nice rifle. There are a lot of rifles from that era that are often mistaken for originals.
    Make sure its not loaded before you start trying the hammer.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Here's a Lane and Read rifle with a back action lock.

Made in Boston.

The adjustable rear sight is a dead ringer for the OP's rifle.

12499677_5.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom