• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    Regular 1895 45-70, looks like it was maybe shot a few times then put away. I have heard early QC issues when Remington took over. No idea when this one was made but fit and finish look fine to me. wood is ho hum.

any ideas on what a fair price range would be?

my old 336 is my favorite deer rifle, been wanting to add a big brother to it and ran across this one in a shop yesterday.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    Is there a JM stamped on the barrel? That will tell you if it’s a real Marlin or a new Remington made Marlin. Is it a blued or stainless version? What’s the barrel length and is it round or octagon?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Marlin prices ( and Winchester lever prices) are widely varied, and volatile.

If you buddy quotes a price, and you care to spend it , thats a fair price .

If its a situation where the friend is looking to you for a valuation also , that's kind of a pickle for you . Most firearms , you can determine a consistent current price range . For somthing with greater than 50% variations, you really can't .

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Marlin prices ( and Winchester lever prices) are widely varied, and volatile.

If you buddy quotes a price, and you care to spend it , thats a fair price .

If its a situation where the friend is looking to you for a valuation also , that's kind of a pickle for you . Most firearms , you can determine a consistent current price range . For somthing with greater than 50% variations, you really can't .

That. I’ve seen various 1895 and 336 go for anything from low 200s for pretty worn examples up to 500 for nicer examples (I am talking something made in the last 50 or so years, not a really early production rifle), but I’ve seen both worn ones and nicer ones go for an easy $100+ higher or lower without what seems to be rhyme or reason (okay, in the worn ones, mostly higher, I haven’t seen one that was in okay, but worn condition go for less than about $200, but I have seen some go for $300 and a little over)

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    If its a Remington produced 1895 Ive seen them go new for as little as $370 plus tax etc around $400 OTD on their specials for the more asic models. I wouldn't pay any more as come Marlin's next sale you can get a new one.

If its JM stamped that probably adds a couple hundred for a well kept used model.

1895s with some exceptions in the CB guns etc just don't hold their value, lots of them, low demand, for many its an impulse gun due to the "big cartridge" and frequent shooters or users are few and far.

Its hard to get more than a 336 for a used basic 1895 or 1895G. Now stainless with nice Walnut fetch $700 to $800 easy.

Last edited:

Mtwoodson

May 7, 2011
    Western Eastern Shore
    Just me, but I think $450-$600 is a fair deal for a plain jane 1895, depending on condition. They're usually not shot much, and pretty hard to destroy. Used Guide Guns probably fall into the same range. When you look at stainless, laminated stocks, big loops, etc., the price usually climbs. Don't let $50 stop you. They are solid rifles in a great caliber and waaay too much fun. A well placed shot could stop a raging trash truck, or worse.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    well I decided to get the rifle, went back yesterday and it was already sold. so it must have been a pretty fair deal. I was a little bummed, but it was just a WANT after all not a NEED so I'll get over it. I was afraid of making an impulse purchase so I wanted to think on it a bit but I guess I tool too long...lol.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Most firearms bought 5 years ago (in today's 20/20 hindsight) were bought too soon. Ammo too, for that matter.

There's no timing this. Just buy them when you're ready to buy and enjoy them.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    If you walk away you take a chance that it won't be there when you come back. I've done that many times myself. Can't count the number of times that I've gone back at the gun show and MY gun was gone. The nerve of some people!

There will be more guns and you'll be armed with price info for next time. When you score a good gun at a good price it will be all the sweeter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom