• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Been shooting 3 Gun the past 18 months and really enjoy it. One thing that I have learned is that I need more work on my pistol than the other two. Figured I would give USPSA a try.

Before I do, I need a little help shopping for gear, specifically magazine pouches. I already have my 3 gun rig built out and am using a couple Safariland 773 Pouches (of which I am not all that big of a fan - expensive and can't get the retention set properly. I shoot an XDm 5.25 and am wondering what else might be out there to fit my needs.

Also, how many magazines/pouches will I need?

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I'd just follow this link and get the whole rig:

http://benstoegerproshop.com/bsps-b...e-pouches-double-alpha-academy-daa-belt-deal/

It comes with a Blade-Tech or CompTac holster with the drop and offset BOSS holster hanger, 5 Ghost 360 pouches and a DAA belt system.

For production, you'll want to run 5 mags on your belt, one in the gun at the start. You're limited to 10 rds in each mag, 11 in the gun to start.

I appreciate that, but I already have a belt and holster. Just need to pick up 5 mags I guess.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I appreciate that, but I already have a belt and holster. Just need to pick up 5 mags I guess.
    You already have 7.. extras a plus

You can use your current mags.. but make sure only load 10 on each mag and 11 on the first (the one you start the stage with.. 1 chambered and 10 in the mag).

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I just sat down and made a match calendar for the year for some local clubs I want to shoot. The next match I want to attend is Scanners Lake Sportsmans Club it is just a classifier no running and gunning but this will get you classified from Jump Street. If you want in shoot me a message. Match info: http://sannerslake.org/event-2396472

I appreciate that very much, however I am not there yet. I need to get my rig lined up, etc.

Do you need to be classified before you are able to shoot in a USPSA match? Are there any unsanctioned club matches like there are in 3 gun?

deerassassin22

Apr 12, 2016
    Littlestown, PA
    No you do not have to be classified to shoot almost all local matches are Level I which gives wiggle room for things Sectional and Championships are Lvl 2 and Lvl 3= No wiggle room.

I use a Safariland rig and love it, but you are right about the tension, I have to carry a little wrench in my range bag. (Full disclosure....I may have been seen at matches groveling to borrow a little wrench from time to time!) I have another rig set to run with the Double Alpha Race Master mag pouches, and I love them. They have a tension adjuster on them which is awesome! You can easily adjust them in seconds without any tools.http://http://www.doublealpha.biz/race-master-pouch Good Luck and have fun!

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'd shoot Limited Minor instead of Production. You keep the capacity and only need a couple of magazine holders to compete. That's if you just plan on using USPSA for practicing pistol for 3-gun. Don't pick up unnecessary habits from one to bring into the other.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    check out bladetech for mag pouches (and holsters). that is mostly what i use for uspsa and 3 gun. no nonsense, no issues. i have the tek-lok backs that easily clip onto your belt. for the holster, which sounds like you already have, i get their ASR which loops thru the belt.

fyi, uspsa production division has some rules regarding holster and mag pouch placement (generally behind hips). it might be easier (ie less gear moving around and also being able to consistently know where all your kit is) if you shoot Limited or Limited 10 division in uspsa, as there are no rules regarding gear placement (other than cross draw etc). if your gun is 9mm then you will have a slight scoring disadvantage in Lim or Lim 10, if it is 40 and you shoot major power factor then no scoring disadvantage. the benefit of Lim 10 (10 rounds per mag) is it forces you to do more reloads, so you're getting more practice with that. if you shoot regular Limited you can fully load up your mags.

before you run out and buy (or more likely, order online as not many place carry this stuff) hit another match or two and see what others are using as that's better than just hearing from a few of us what we like. seeing it in action will give you a better idea of what may work for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom