• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    This is much bigger than any other coyote I've seen on a trail cam at my house. LOL thought it was a wolf at first glance

Coywolf?

This is the size I'm used to seeing.

Here is a bear for size reference....

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Just a big coyote. Though the easterns have been found to have some wolf DNA, it can vary from 25% and on down. The ones here would be in the lower # %wise, though some dog would also be in them. Hard to say without a genetic test of the actual animal. There are some that look more wolf-like along with their larger size. Here's some pics. My personal taken 1st coyote (Harford county), a NJ animal, and a Baltimore county roadkill. Mine was a pup at 26 pounds ( had big front feet, so he was going to get big had I not gotten him), the NJ one I have no idea of weight, but looks to be at least 45 pounds, the roadkill was 42 pounds. The roadkill has thicker than usual front legs and a wider snout. Last 2 pics are the beefy one mounted ( but not finished), showing the wider snout and head, which I had to make alterations of to the coyote form.

Attachments

• 1stcoyoteb.jpg
      1stcoyoteb.jpg
      170.4 KB · Views: 936
    • NJcoywolf.jpg
      NJcoywolf.jpg
      110.5 KB · Views: 1,625
    • beefyyoterdkill.jpg
      beefyyoterdkill.jpg
      54 KB · Views: 1,132
    • dakotayotewip 005.jpg
      dakotayotewip 005.jpg
      65.8 KB · Views: 1,026
    • dakotayotewipb.jpg
      dakotayotewipb.jpg
      95.8 KB · Views: 1,035

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Just a big coyote. Though the easterns have been found to have some wolf DNA, it can vary from 25% and on down. The ones here would be in the lower # %wise, though some dog would also be in them. Hard to say without a genetic test of the actual animal. There are some that look more wolf-like along with their larger size. Here's some pics. My personal taken 1st coyote (Harford county), a NJ animal, and a Baltimore county roadkill. Mine was a pup at 26 pounds ( had big front feet, so he was going to get big had I not gotten him), the NJ one I have no idea of weight, but looks to be at least 45 pounds, the roadkill was 42 pounds. The roadkill has thicker than usual front legs and a wider snout. Last 2 pics are the beefy one mounted ( but not finished), showing the wider snout and head, which I had to make alterations of to the coyote form.

Thanks, was hoping you would respond

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    My Grandfather got a picture of a huge Coyote on his trail cam one night last year. If I find the picture of it I'll post it up. Right outside of Mount Airy.

Around my house in the same general area we've seen and heard them at night. Last year a friend shot a doe and we were tracking it. When we found it an hour later it had already been darn near half eaten (from the back end, not like somebody else gutted it and left the parts).

We've been seeing a lot less fawns in the area and it's starting to piss me off. No fawns=No decent deer in the coming years.

I never really wanted to shoot anything that looked like a dog, but these things may just feel my wrath

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    My Grandfather got a picture of a huge Coyote on his trail cam one night last year. If I find the picture of it I'll post it up. Right outside of Mount Airy.

Around my house in the same general area we've seen and heard them at night. Last year a friend shot a doe and we were tracking it. When we found it an hour later it had already been darn near half eaten (from the back end, not like somebody else gutted it and left the parts).

We've been seeing a lot less fawns in the area and it's starting to piss me off. No fawns=No decent deer in the coming years.

I never really wanted to shoot anything that looked like a dog, but these things may just feel my wrath

There are some big ones in the Howard/Carroll/Frederick area for sure. Guys who worked for us got a 75+lb male about 6 years ago. The female I got a couple years ago was over 40lbs and didn't appear to have had pups yet so prob wasn't quite full size. Saw another one about a year ago that looked to be as big as a german shepard. Couldn't get the gun fast enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom