• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    I attempted to have my trust notarized this morning at a local credit union (Cedar Point Federal Credit Union - Prince Fredrick). In the conversation explaining what NFA is the comment I received back was "You guys are getting so smart trying to skirt the laws...." which I interpreted as "I ain't notarizing your papers". She called the compliance office and reported she was told they could not notarize citing a conflict of interest if I opened a checking account for the trust they notarized.

She stated that I could have it notarized elsewhere but if I were to open a trust checking account she would need a full copy of the trust to send to the compliance office for review.

So I am asking the MDS community
    What has been your experience with banks and NFA trusts lately?
    Have you had been denied a notarization or opening of an account?
    Did you need to provide a full copy of the trust to open an account?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I attempted to have my trust notarized this morning at a local credit union (Cedar Point Federal Credit Union - Prince Fredrick). In the conversation explaining what NFA is the comment I received back was "You guys are getting so smart trying skirt the laws...." which I interpreted as "I ain't notarizing your papers". She called the compliance office and reported she was told they could not notarize citing a conflict of interest if I opened a checking account for the trust they notarized.

She stated that I could have it notarized elsewhere but if I were to open a trust checking account she would need a full copy of the trust to send to the compliance office for review.

So I am asking the MDS community
    What has been your experience with banks and NFA trusts lately?
    Have you had been denied a notarization or opening of an account?
    Did you need to provide a full copy of the trust to open an account?

That's total oxen sheist! Take thee to a UPS store and they'll do it for you. Sheesh!

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Don't bother with a trust account. It really is a waste of time and energy.

They do not need to know what they are notarizing. Just that the signataries are who they say they are. My credit union notarized mine but I did not volunteer any unnecessary information.

At this point, just go to the closest tag and title service. They will notarize it and not ask any questions.

Jan 9, 2012
    Hoco
    I opened one up with m&t and they had their compliance office review it. Took a day, got approved. Trust notarized and account opened by the bank. A full copy was submitted.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    When I opened my account, they needed a copy of my trust. Gave them one and it was fine. But I have a friendly bank.

Jaymiller5

Jan 10, 2016
    I keep my trust fund in the binder of my trust. There is no need for a checking account and my lawyer actually suggested against it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    After consulting the lawyer that drafted the trust I will not continue pursing the trust checking account.

She looked at the title which says "VGPLAYER NFA TRUST" and started inquiring about the type of trust.

On the website it states:
    Notary Public

Notary Services are available Monday - Friday at all offices and on Saturday at the Headquarters Office. We also offer signature guarantees. There is a fee of $2.00 per stamp for notary services.

Cedar Point Notaries may not notarize the following:
    Any documents for non-members
    Wills or Codicils
    Mortgage documents originating from another lender
    Deeds of Trust
    Powers of Attorney
    "True copies"
    Form "I-9"

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I do not have a trust account. I use a personal check to pay all of my NFA tax obligations.

When having documents notarized over the years, I have used a sheet of paper to shield the contents of the document from the notary. All the notary could see are the signature lines. The contents of the document is none of the notary's business. All they are doing is attesting to the identity of the signatory, not the contents of the document. Tell them it's a will or trust for a disabled relative and, politely to MYOB!

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Tell them before you elect to open an account your wife requires they present a certified copy of the banks assets to deposits ratio, and a certified copy of any government audit report for the last 5 years. Then when they stare at you puzzled tell them to eff off. Once you get the trust notarized at the local Postal Plus, staple a $1 American greenback to the front page and don't ever spend it.

Blackstar65

Jun 27, 2010
    I had mine notarized at the pnc in laplata. The notary read it over and her only question revolved around what happens if the next in line is under 21. Other than that no issues.. I already bank with pnc.

Blackstar65

Jun 27, 2010
    Tell them before you elect to open an account your wife requires they present a certified copy of the banks assets to deposits ratio, and a certified copy of any government audit report for the last 5 years. Then when they stare at you puzzled tell them to eff off. Once you get the trust notarized at the local Postal Plus, staple a $1 American greenback to the front page and don't ever spend it.
    Why the dollar?

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I hate to say it, but using the G-word (GUN!!) in mixed company today is akin to saying you want to open an account to fund an underground bomb factory in 1968.
    Today, we are the radicals.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Its just a revocable trust right? No need to use the G word....

"In the conversation explaining what NFA is"

Honesty used to be the best policy. That's obviously not true anymore. But I guess some find it hard to let go of their guns, bibles and Golden Rules.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom