• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I would like members' opinions on suppressor covers.

I've looked at Manta, Bowers, and Griffin Armament.

thoughts, opinions?

I've just gotten tired of waiting for my can to cool off enough to remove it and then pack it up and leave the range.

thanks

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    None will hold up if you rapid fire except the silicone based ones. I have the Bowers ribbed silicone unit, but I split it on purpose (like a taco) and I use it to remove hot cans. From there they go in a thermos to transport home.

I also don't like the looks of suppressor covers or the idea that they may trap heat.

That's how I handle it.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    i have a small hot mitt i bought from Silencershop and I'm gonna just buy a small Klein canvas tool bag from Amazon.

what do you think? the tool bag was 10 bucks.

thanks Chad

Attachments

• bag.jpg
      bag.jpg
      39.5 KB · Views: 496

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    None will hold up if you rapid fire except the silicone based ones. I have the Bowers ribbed silicone unit, but I split it on purpose (like a taco) and I use it to remove hot cans. From there they go in a thermos to transport home.

I also don't like the looks of suppressor covers or the idea that they may trap heat.

That's how I handle it.

How do you like the Bowers cover? I spoke with his wife and she said you will want to use one on a subgun, especially a mac with coarse threads, to tighten it down every mag.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    that's also a very inexpensive solution. I'll see if the tool bag works. it it doesn't, a thermos will be next on the list.

i tried to find info on the max temperature for no. 10 canvas duck, but couldn't find any good info. guess a real world test in next.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I wouldn't transport as the other poster mentioned. Rubber bands will likely melt and the suppressor will not be fully encased. If it rolls into anything nylon, foam, or plastic it WILL melt it.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    that's also a very inexpensive solution. I'll see if the tool bag works. it it doesn't, a thermos will be next on the list.

i tried to find info on the max temperature for no. 10 canvas duck, but couldn't find any good info. guess a real world test in next.

Im interested to know how it works out.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I have the Bowers on my Mac suppressor. Works well. I don't enjoy shooting that enough to have really heated it up... However it works pretty well when hot.

However again... this is why I don't like threaded suppressors.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Bowers says their cover positively will not melt with no limit on rounds fired. I don't own one so not sure if it's true.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I was considering a cover as well....until I discussed the issue with AAC. They recommended against the use of a cover since it limits heat dissipation within the silencer, which may shorten its life (note: check with your particular silencer maker, as other vendors' views may differ from those of AAC).

So, instead, I opted to carry a welding glove (only one hand's needed and smaller gloves're available if that's your preference) rated for 1400 degrees (for checking/tightening/removing)
    $_35.JPG

....and a small, high temperature carbon fiber plumbers' pad (to set the silencer down in the off-chance there isn't a concrete floor or other non-burnable surface nearby). Both fit into my range back-pack and've worked out perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom