• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=177184

The OP in the thread linked above noted that when he was at the MSP Barracks attempting to complete a transfer he tried to obtain a copy of the list of all firearms registered to his name according to MSP and was refused by the trooper attending to his transfer at that time.

I've heard of the Maryland PIA before but never thought to use it to try and get a copy of MSP's records with regards to the firearms they have registered to me.

Anyone care to guess at any unforseen issues should I submit a PIA request for the list of firearms MSP has registered to my name? More than anything I'd like to check and see if everything is accurate although from reading here it seems like MSP doesn't really update these records.

Some useful links:
    https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/S...ainLicensingPage/PublicInformationActPIA.aspx

http://www.oag.state.md.us/Opengov/Appendix_A.pdf

https://www.mdsp.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=csesDZZ27uM=&tabid=1237

Looks like you can either submit a letter or the official MSP form.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=177184

The OP in the thread linked above noted that when he was at the MSP Barracks attempting to complete a transfer he tried to obtain a copy of the list of all firearms registered to his name according to MSP and was refused by the trooper attending to his transfer at that time.

I've heard of the Maryland PIA before but never thought to use it to try and get a copy of MSP's records with regards to the firearms they have registered to me.

Anyone care to guess at any unforseen issues should I submit a PIA request for the list of firearms MSP has registered to my name? More than anything I'd like to check and see if everything is accurate although from reading here it seems like MSP doesn't really update these records.

Some useful links:
    https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/S...ainLicensingPage/PublicInformationActPIA.aspx

http://www.oag.state.md.us/Opengov/Appendix_A.pdf

https://www.mdsp.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=csesDZZ27uM=&tabid=1237

Looks like you can either submit a letter or the official MSP form.

Should not need a PIA for info pertaining to yourself. PIA would be for info pertaining to the public, not you personally.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    It would be interesting to see. Some of us old farts have been trading, selling, transferring regulated firearms for years. I wonder about the ones when FTF hand gun transfer were legal.
    Any of our legal beagles care to opine on this?

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Should not need a PIA for info pertaining to yourself. PIA would be for info pertaining to the public, not you personally.

Makes sense. So perhaps the Trooper handling that transfer was unsure of the law with regards to the registry, fair enough.

I suppose I could email MSP and ask what their procedure is. Maybe there is another form

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I would be interesting to see. Some of us old farts have been trading, selling, transferring regulated firearms for years. I wonder about the ones when FTF hand gun transfer were legal.

All you have to do is email a request for the info. I went through this already and was told you do not need to file a PIA for personal info.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Makes sense. So perhaps the Trooper handling that transfer was unsure of the law with regards to the registry, fair enough.

I suppose I could email MSP and ask what their procedure is. Maybe there is another form

No form, just an email or letter will suffice.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I would be interesting to see. Some of us old farts have been trading, selling, transferring regulated firearms for years. I wonder about the ones when FTF hand gun transfer were legal.

I came along long after the registration law was passed. I'm interested in making sure that my pre-FSA2013 regulated long gun transfers at the barracks went through correctly. That was a confusing time and I never received any confirmation of the transfers.

My Dad on the other hand is much like you and he'd be curious to see what exactly they claim that he owns.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    All you have to do is email a request for the info. I went through this already and was told you do not need to file a PIA for personal info.

I've been told that by several federal government entities and followed their guidance. In every case they took months to respond and when they finally responded they told me I should have made the request via the FOIA process. They seem to be relying on the average requestor to abandon their efforts because of the bureaucracy involved. Even under FOIA they take forever, then come back to you with a statement of what might be available and how much it will cost you to get the copies.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    A few years back I emailed MSP for a copy of my recorded firearms. Their response was to have someone call me (on my non-published phone, which number was not included in my email request). She was upset that I wanted all the info, not just a single serial number. She was willing to rattle off the serial numbers over the phone, with an incomplete description of the firearm - sometimes not even the manufacturer - but would not send me anything in readable form. She more or less indicated that I had better not bother her again, or press for more information.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    A few years back I emailed MSP for a copy of my recorded firearms. Their response was to have someone call me (on my non-published phone, which number was not included in my email request). She was upset that I wanted all the info, not just a single serial number. She was willing to rattle off the serial numbers over the phone, with an incomplete description of the firearm - sometimes not even the manufacturer - but would not send me anything in readable form. She more or less indicated that I had better not bother her again, or press for more information.

If I get that the next phone call will be to my local politicians. I won't stand for my state gov't refusing to give me information about myself.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    If I get that the next phone call will be to my local politicians. I won't stand for my state gov't refusing to give me information about myself.

Good for you. My local politicians could give a rat's ass about my 2A concerns; they have enough votes from my neighbors to sit in the GA for the rest of their lives, and for a decade after they're dead.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Police Officers and State Troopers are usually not permitted to pull MILES/CJIS information for citizens on request.

That does not include information provided at accident scenes or so that a complainant can obtain a warrant or DCS, but generally, you can't just ask an officer to run and provide info off that system.

They should be able to tell you the proper procedure for requesting you registrations off the MGUN system, (if that is what they still call it these days). My guess, though I may be wrong, is that MSP will provide you with a procedure to get what you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom