How many times have you been burglarized in your home?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How many times has your home been burglarized?

Votes: 137 65.9%

Votes: 40 19.2%

Votes: 22 10.6%

Votes: 4 1.9%
    • 4 or more

Votes: 5 2.4%

• Total voters
    Dec 31, 2012
    How many times have you been burglarized in your home, successful or attempted and what did you do about it?

Include thefts from yard in the stories but keep the poll limited to your home only.

I've dealt with thieves trying to enter the home on 4 occasions while living in eastern Baltimore County.

My grandfather was staying at my childhood home while the parents were away and he stopped an intrusion with a shotgun. Caught a guy halfway through the window and nearly dropped him right there but instead decided to scare the young guy away.
    We never left the house unoccupied after that.

In my teenage home I came home to a ransacked house that had been turned over like a hollywood movie. Drawers flipped, closets dumped, couches over turned, just a big mess. I missed the thieves by 5 minutes as my neighbor heard them but thought it was me coming home. I had stopped to play video games after school, a fateful decision that kept me from walking in on the thieves. I had grabbed a knife when I saw the mess but that could have ended badly had they still been there. The thieves stopped and had lunch while they were there helping themselves to the previous day's leftover birthday party supplies as well as walking off with many 'gifts'. :mad54: Brazen bastards. :mad54:
    We replaced our recently deceased German Shepherd with another GSD.

Living on my own in an apartment in Perry Hall my roommate and I had two attempts during the day. We lived in a ground floor apartment with windows at ground level. Someone tried to get through a window but was interrupted by neighbors. The next time someone tried to pry the door open with a bar, leaving gouge marks and dents around the deadbolt.
    I started leaving my 12 ga visible through curtains open windows. We never had another problem.

Living with my wife in Dundalk we've had multiple yard thefts and one serious break in. Someone tried to enter the home through the backdoor while we were asleep upstairs. They broke through some previously cracked door window glass and opened the deadbolt but could not get to the sliding bolt lock I keep at the bottom of the door. The worst part of this was that it did not wake us!!! I found the broken glass the next morning after my wife had left for work. Our dog had died the year before so we had no early warning system.
    I converted the deadbolts to double keyed, taught my wife to hold the 12 ga and she eventually bought her own handguns. Added cameras. We replaced the dog.

No house problems since then but the yard thefts and vandalism continued until the cameras went up.

I stopped a break in at the neighbors not long ago. He was away so the house was empty. Someone tried to get through his backdoor and I heard the racket. I walked outside at 2 am with a pistol nearby and the burglar thought better of the situation and left with nothing.

The main theme here is that dogs and guns have been central to stopping problems. I will not be without either ever again.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    This was in my detached garage so *technically not in my house. First time the f*cker stole two 4-wheelers, couple radios, paintball gun & accessories and probably more stuff I forgot.
    Installed cameras and alarm system within a week.
    2nd attempt was about a year later and the door to garage was pried open but the alarm sent them running.
    This is in White Marsh.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I had a weedeater stolen from my back deck once. It happened a couple of years ago. I had a druggie doing some work around my house for me. He is a very talented mason and works cheap. He is also a very nice guy. He sadly has a drug problem. While he was working around my house one of his druggie buddies stopped by to visit him. I guess he saw the weedeater out back. He stopped by that night and stole it. He was dumb enough to ask the guy working on my house if he knew anyone that would want to buy it. My guy asked me. It was described as a much nicer weedeater than the one I had, so I said I'd take a look at it. When I saw it, I knew it was mine and said so. My guy proceeded to go around the corner and beat the snot out of the guy that stole it from me. He then dragged the guy down to my house and made him apologize to me. He told me I could call the cops. I didn't but I told him if I ever saw him around my house again, it would be trouble.

dapefley

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Hughesville MD
    I feel like if I vote in this, its going to happen. You know.. when you say, "oh that'll never happen" and it happens right after you say it?? Yea, that's the way I feel right now. AND, I really don't want to have one of my firearms taken away for an indeterminate amount of time, if I have to use it in self defense.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    In our old house before we all had fences, my wife spotted a guy one day. I was just getting out of the shower when she said that this guy had walked through our back yard and into the neighbor's yard. He ended up pinching a 10 speed bike from the neighbor's back porch.

Fence was ordered shortly thereafter.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Haven't had the house broken into, but have had stuff stolen out of the yard. Most notably when I was a kid some asshat stole my Bigfoot powerwheel.

Now my next door neighbor did have his house broken into about 5 years ago. Along with his valuables, they freaking stole his dog.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    My neighbor called me the other night asking if I saw the man in her back yard the prior day. She said her son saw someone and didn't know if he was a utility working or someone snooping around. I told her to post my phone number on her wall so her kids can call me if she's out. I'm home all day and can look outside or release the hound.

This is the same neighbor who came pounding on my back door a year ago saying someone was in her house. She had heard a banging and thought someone was walking up her steps. The cops found nothing. I went back to my banging, putting the trigger guard on my AR.

Dec 31, 2012
    The only thing that has abated the yard thefts for me was installing cameras and signs clearly stating that cameras are in operation. Until that time, yard thefts were a yearly occurrence. Weed eaters(multiple), gas, tools, anything that I left was fair game for middle of the day thefts. I now don't like to even leave my tools near the truck in my own backyard when I go in for a bathroom break. I'll take the minimum and put them in the truck or have my wife keep an eye on things until I come back.

Jarhead FLSTI

Aug 31, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Years ago my wife and I hired a house/dog sitter while we were on vacation. Everything was fine when we returned but about a week later my house had been "broken into". We came home to a broken window (too small for someone to climb through) and a lot of little things missing including our change jar and my coin collection. The only way someone got into my house was with a key... and the fact that my dogs (2 Akitas) didn't tear them apart really makes me believe it was the people that we paid to take care of our things just a few weeks prior. The only fingerprints that came back were ours and theirs.

The police said there wasn't much they could prove due to the fact that we had given them complete access to our house and would expect their fingerprints on everything.

We now have an alarm system and only close personal friends come over to care for our animals.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I left the house, came back later, a truck was parked weird on the road, figured it was broke down... Then I heard it, the sound of a 2 stroke chainsaw and knew exactly what was going on and which tree it was.

Sure enough some billy and his son were helping themselves to a tree that fell over in the woods during the past few years tropical storms and Hurricanes. I wish I had gotten to cutting it up before them. I'm such a nice guy. I had to staple up more no trespassing signs.

Does that count? LOL

Notadrone

Mar 19, 2013
    west of Salisbury
    Three times in my twenties. All by neighbors who knew my schedule. I caught one trying to Jimmie my back door while I was suppose to be at work... My experience has made me believe most burglaries are by people you know. I'm much more cautious of who I associate with and mix up my schedule among other things.

xdmdude

Oct 1, 2011
    My home has only been burglarized once, but my car out front has been hit three times.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Never in Maryland, I had some kids try to break into a garage in Maine but they were loud and I suspect high or drunk. The classic wracking a round in shotgun set them off to the races.

Dec 31, 2012
    Three times in my twenties. All by neighbors who knew my schedule. I caught one trying to Jimmie my back door while I was suppose to be at work... My experience has made me believe most burglaries are by people you know. I'm much more cautious of who I associate with and mix up my schedule among other things.

My schedule is erratic enough to throw off someone casually scoping the house unless they spend a lot time watching or are close relatives/neighbors.

gaueri

Jul 25, 2013
    baltimore,md
    I had a break in last year in march. I shoot one guy twice and the other guy I didn't get. The police caught both guys but let the guy I didn't hit go because I could not id him. I said light skin young black guy with a grey hoodie. The police said that was not enough to id him, they let him go free. The other guy went to court and they let first degree burary and try him on forth degree. Gave him 18 months but time severed. 42 days what a shame

Dec 31, 2012
    I had a break in last year in march. I shoot one guy twice and the other guy I didn't get. The police caught both guys but let the guy I didn't hit go because I could not id him. I said light skin young black guy with a grey hoodie. The police said that was not enough to id him, they let him go free. The other guy went to court and they let first degree burary and try him on forth degree. Gave him 18 months but time severed. 42 days what a shame

How long did it take to get your gun back? I've been told 6 months or more from a local guy that was involved in a shooting.

ground chuck

Rookie Jedi
    Sep 28, 2013
    Charm City County
    My neighbor's shed has been broken into a couple times. Mine so far none (knock on wood). My neighbors and I look out for each other. I really hope some junkie doesnt test my grit.

On another note, anyone ever tried making a citizens arrest?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom