• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD

ktm rider

Feb 21, 2011
    Undisclosed and Secure
    So, In the past, if the staduim is packed with say 50,000 fans I am willing to bet atleast a few hundred of those fans are probably LEO's and most likely armed. So, Not only is this FREE security for the NFL , they actually paid to get in?

I wonder if the NFL is gonna hire a few hundred more security officers to compensate for this loss of the free security? I highly doubt.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I really can't think of any situation where it would be safe to discharge a firearm in a packed football stadium.

I've never not felt safe at FedEx field. This is certainly not something I'd use as an excuse take away from the experience of going to the games with my kids.

You cannot think of a single situation where it would be safe to discharge a firearm in a stadium on game day? Really? If you cannot imagine a scenario where it might be safe and a good idea to do so, then you are not very imaginative. While this has not happened at a NFL game that I am aware of, have two fans been killed at baseball games recently?

Let's see now:

Dodgers fan dies from stab wound by Giants fan:

http://tracking.si.com/2013/09/26/dodgers-fan-dies-stabbing-after-giants-game-mlb/

Giants fan beaten so severely by Dodgers fans he needs medical treatement for 2 years and can no longer afford it:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...aseball-fan-forced-hospital-article-1.1372298

Fight at Packers/Giants football game with video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJF-GJrFBEQ

NFL fan stabbed in fight after NFC Championship game:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...-stabbed-in-fight-after-nfc-championship-game

Bills/Browns fans brawl in stadium and Redskins fans fighting out in parking lot:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/25/nfl-fans-fight-browns-bill-redskins-brawl_n_1910567.html

About the only place I feel less safe than a professional sporting event where passions run deep and the beer flows a plenty, is probably downtown Baltimore City, Southeast DC, or areas of town where all the bars are at.

I hate promoting professional sports nowadays. Heck, I hate most of sports nowadays because of the corruption. Last time I went to a game was opening day for the Skins back in 2004 and I had to sit behind a drunk that just had to heckle Gibbs all day long, and he was a Skins fan nonetheless. Only reason I went to that game was because my then finance, now wife, bought the tickets for my birthday.

If you have never not felt safe at FedEx field, then you lack the imagination to see how things can go bad really quickly when alcohol and passions are mixed together.

I once had somebody tell me that "If a person is not passionate for a pro team there is something wrong with them". This was about a decade ago and the guy had a room of his house dedicated to the Skins. Don't think I will ever get that quote out of my mind. My parents would probably say "Anybody that has a room painted Skins colors and decorated with Skins furniture and memorabilia has something wrong with them". Have to wonder who is right and who is wrong.

Anyway, stay safe at the games, especially if you are bringing kids with you.

BigToe

Well Armed Vagrant
    You cannot think of a single situation where it would be safe to discharge a firearm in a stadium on game day? Really? If you cannot imagine a scenario where it might be safe and a good idea to do so, then you are not very imaginative. While this has not happened at a NFL game that I am aware of, have two fans been killed at baseball games recently?

Let's see now:

Dodgers fan dies from stab wound by Giants fan:

http://tracking.si.com/2013/09/26/dodgers-fan-dies-stabbing-after-giants-game-mlb/

Giants fan beaten so severely by Dodgers fans he needs medical treatement for 2 years and can no longer afford it:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...aseball-fan-forced-hospital-article-1.1372298

Fight at Packers/Giants football game with video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJF-GJrFBEQ

NFL fan stabbed in fight after NFC Championship game:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...-stabbed-in-fight-after-nfc-championship-game

Bills/Browns fans brawl in stadium and Redskins fans fighting out in parking lot:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/25/nfl-fans-fight-browns-bill-redskins-brawl_n_1910567.html

I'm sorry, but discharging a firearm in the stands or in the parking lot would not be a solution to any of those situations linked above. And I am of the belief that a firearm should not be drawn without the willingness to use it.

I have seen many fights at sporting events. I saw a guy go through the glass window at Philip's seafood at FedEx last month. At no time would I have felt safer if an off duty LEO would have drawn a firearm. There is simply to much of a concentration of people in those situations not to have collateral damage if a firearm was discharged. In fact, I don't think I would continue going to sporting events if the new norm was off duty LEOs drawing firearms on unruly fans.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    The best pro sports experience is had from the comfort of your family room, with a favorite beer in one hand and snacks in the other.

BigToe

Well Armed Vagrant
    The best pro sports experience is had from the comfort of your family room, with a favorite beer in one hand and snacks in the other.

Yes, but one of the best father/son experiences I've had is taking my son to a game. He's been to every daytime Skins home game since he was 5. He's also been to Giant's stadium, Foxboro and Raven's stadium. He want's the two of us to see a game in every stadium in the Country. We may be visiting the last stadium on the list when I'm in my 80's and he's in his 60's, but I do hope we succeed.

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    From what I understand there were a few armed civilians, but I could be wrong. I'd like to know more specifics of the case, but to be honest if I were in Tyson's and 6 dudes broke in with automatic rifles and grenades I would not feel like openly engaging them with my G19. I'd do what I could, but be mostly concerned with getting someone better equipped and trained in there while trying to help people in my immediate area - but mostly trying to GTFO.

Generally the best course of action, especially if outgunned. Get the people you care about out, and anyone else you can - and get out of danger.

As for CCW, you're not going to be able to get a clear shot in a crowded stadium - parking lots have a lot more backstops, but shooting someone else'scar is not always a good idea. :D

All those AD&D rules about "firing into a melee" always come to mind when I think about crowds. The penalties were supposed to reflect the difficulty of the situation. I don't think they were far off the mark.

systemmaster

MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2009
    Lost
    This is an old NFL policy, they defer to each individual stadium/ ownership now. Last year Maryland's State FOP lodge had a back and forth with the Ravens organization over this issue. They eventually reversed their policy and now allow off duty LEO so long as they present credentials upon entrance. Flip side to that, the Redskins do not allow armed off duty to carry.

BigToe

Well Armed Vagrant
    This is an old NFL policy, they defer to each individual stadium/ ownership now. Last year Maryland's State FOP lodge had a back and forth with the Ravens organization over this issue. They eventually reversed their policy and now allow off duty LEO so long as they present credentials upon entrance. Flip side to that, the Redskins do not allow armed off duty to carry.

I understand why an LEO would want to carry off duty at any large public gathering, as the potential to be spotted by someone they've previously arrested is higher, and that can lead to trouble for the LEO. But even then, drawing a weapon should be a last resort to protect THEMSELVES from harm. Them drawing a firearm in the middle of a crowd to break up a fight between a couple dunk rival fans would not be something I'm comfortable with.

I would hope any LEO would have enough sense to see that. I am not agreeing with the NFL's position to prohibit LEO CCW. But I am not bothered or threatened by it, and I certainly wouldn't stop going to games over it.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I understand why an LEO would want to carry off duty at any large public gathering, as the potential to be spotted by someone they've previously arrested is higher, and that can lead to trouble for the LEO. But even then, drawing a weapon should be a last resort to protect THEMSELVES from harm. Them drawing a firearm in the middle of a crowd to break up a fight between a couple dunk rival fans would not be something I'm comfortable with.

I would hope any LEO would have enough sense to see that. I am not agreeing with the NFL's position to prohibit LEO CCW. But I am not bothered or threatened by it, and I certainly wouldn't stop going to games over it.

You obviously have no idea about when a LEO, on duty or off duty, is allowed to draw a firearm. An LEO is not supposed to draw his/her firearm to break up a fight. The rule is that they can go one up in force based upon the amount of force they are receiving. So, if somebody is coming at them with fists, they can use a club. If somebody is coming after them with a club or a knife, they can use their gun. If an LEO pulls his firearm to break up a fight, he should be fired immediately from the force.

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    I didn't read the entire thread yet, but as a season ticket holder I can tell you I have seen many nice guns (including MP5's) this year at Fed Ex Field. There are many security guards and armed Police throughout the complex.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Yes, but one of the best father/son experiences I've had is taking my son to a game. He's been to every daytime Skins home game since he was 5. He's also been to Giant's stadium, Foxboro and Raven's stadium. He want's the two of us to see a game in every stadium in the Country. We may be visiting the last stadium on the list when I'm in my 80's and he's in his 60's, but I do hope we succeed.

Yeah, I went to two Skins games with my dad and neither of them were that enjoyable. My dad hasn't gone to one for over 15 years now and rarely went to them when we were growing up. Nope, most of my best memories with my dad are either in the field hunting, on a boat fishing, or just the lectures that he has given me over my lifetime. Thrown in some pics from hunting last month and then fishing a couple of years ago.

Good to hear that you and your son are still going to the games though.

Attachments

• MdShooters7.jpg
      MdShooters7.jpg
      96.9 KB · Views: 147
    • MdShooters8.jpg
      MdShooters8.jpg
      108.3 KB · Views: 141
    • MdShooters9.JPG
      MdShooters9.JPG
      44.5 KB · Views: 139

Arel11

Aug 7, 2012
    I haven't been to a Ravens game yet this year, but for nearly the past decade, I've been carrying in that stadium. Never been a hassle.

BigToe

Well Armed Vagrant
    You obviously have no idea about when a LEO, on duty or off duty, is allowed to draw a firearm. An LEO is not supposed to draw his/her firearm to break up a fight. The rule is that they can go one up in force based upon the amount of force they are receiving. So, if somebody is coming at them with fists, they can use a club. If somebody is coming after them with a club or a knife, they can use their gun. If an LEO pulls his firearm to break up a fight, he should be fired immediately from the force.

I am familiar with the protocol. You listed a litany of links to brawls at sporting events in support of drawing a firearm. Being that none of the links you provided involve off duty LEOs, and this thread is about the fact that off duty LEOs are being prohibited from CCW at NFL games, I am not seeing your point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom