• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Anyone have a good summary of all digital formats? Pros, cons, etc.

I don't, but I have to say given the large number of them that the biggest con would be trying to find someone that uses some of them, absent a special event, net, or by pre-arrangement.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    ...Too bad with the ongoing plague VE testing is being cancelled. Maybe the FCC will reconsider remote testing.
    In our situation, it sounded like we were more at loss for a venue than being overly cautious about WuFlu.

Since we are now limited to gatherings of 10 or less, maybe we could figure out a way to test a few at a time.

We have two admin - they could be in another area.

We need three graders, they could be in another area.

We need 3 observers with the candidates. One of these observers could give the initial briefing.

We need 1 person to courier exams from the candidates in the testing area to the graders.

We need 1 person to courier exams from the graders to the admin, then from admin back to the testing area courier.

This means 4 VEs in the testing area - could 6 candidates at a time be tested in such a way?

I have some office space with a front office area (admin), conference room (graders) and an adjacent outdoor area with a couple picnic tables for testing. Those waiting could wait in their vehicles.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    On a sunny day, every one of those VEs, admins, and subjects could be 20 feet apart outside in the parking lot sitting on milk crates or car bumpers. Adapt! Glove up for paper handling, everything relayed through an empty table. It could be done.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    On a sunny day, every one of those VEs, admins, and subjects could be 20 feet apart outside in the parking lot sitting on milk crates or car bumpers. Adapt! Glove up for paper handling, everything relayed through an empty table. It could be done.
    I sent a note over to our VEC for his opinion.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    In our situation, it sounded like we were more at loss for a venue than being overly cautious about WuFlu.

Since we are now limited to gatherings of 10 or less, maybe we could figure out a way to test a few at a time.

We have two admin - they could be in another area.

We need three graders, they could be in another area.

We need 3 observers with the candidates. One of these observers could give the initial briefing.

We need 1 person to courier exams from the candidates in the testing area to the graders.

We need 1 person to courier exams from the graders to the admin, then from admin back to the testing area courier.

This means 4 VEs in the testing area - could 6 candidates at a time be tested in such a way?

I have some office space with a front office area (admin), conference room (graders) and an adjacent outdoor area with a couple picnic tables for testing. Those waiting could wait in their vehicles.

I hesitated to post this and it was before Lawnchair Larry's last edict, but I heard on the repeater a couple of Friday's ago, a idea to do testing 5 at a time with 3 of the "healthiest" VE's. Since this was just an idea at the time I didn't disseminate it and now it's probably unlikely.

I did some more digging into remote testing and it appears that it was okayed some time ago by the FCC (I knew they did it in AK, but I thought that was a special exception). They left the means to the VEC so as to not rule any means out a priori. The way AK does it is to have a trusted agent, not necessarily a VE (teacher, LEO...) proctor the test with the others viewing remotely.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I hesitated to post this and it was before Lawnchair Larry's last edict, but I heard on the repeater a couple of Friday's ago, a idea to do testing 5 at a time with 3 of the "healthiest" VE's. Since this was just an idea at the time I didn't disseminate it and now it's probably unlikely.

I did some more digging into remote testing and it appears that it was okayed some time ago by the FCC (I knew they did it in AK, but I thought that was a special exception). They left the means to the VEC so as to not rule any means out a priori. The way AK does it is to have a trusted agent, not necessarily a VE (teacher, LEO...) proctor the test with the others viewing remotely.
    Our VEC gave me some very good reasons to hold off and nixed the idea for now.

One thing is keeping our test materials in condition KNOWN to be clean for after this blows through.

Another thing is that the proximity/exposure is over a duration and not just 'in passing'. IOW, the graders will sit in the same room together for several hours.

So, we are not going to be able to provide exam opportunities until we get further direction/advice from the powers that be.

Bigfoot21075

Ultimate Member
    Nov 3, 2008
    Elkridge, MD
    Our VEC gave me some very good reasons to hold off and nixed the idea for now.

One thing is keeping our test materials in condition KNOWN to be clean for after this blows through.

Another thing is that the proximity/exposure is over a duration and not just 'in passing'. IOW, the graders will sit in the same room together for several hours.

So, we are not going to be able to provide exam opportunities until we get further direction/advice from the powers that be.

I assume the testing in Laurel is in the same boat.... On the plus side, maybe this frees up some expertise to help me get a dipole run in my backyard.... :D

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    I've read until my eyes started bleeding. ARRL has a ton of info, so much it makes it hard to find the actual beginning point of an online class. One link says I need ICS certification, then another says I need a SID number, then another says you don't need the SID. I found one website that charges $10 for a class, another that says it's free. I prefer online classes and this D!@# virus stopped in-person classes. Can someone point me in the right direction?

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I've read until my eyes started bleeding. ARRL has a ton of info, so much it makes it hard to find the actual beginning point of an online class. One link says I need ICS certification, then another says I need a SID number, then another says you don't need the SID.

Huh? You don't need any ID number or Cert. to take a class. Assuming you are starting at the beginning as a Technician Class licensee, you don't need a FCC FRN number as long as you're willing to give up your SSN. That's only for testing and licensing though, not a class.

I found one website that charges $10 for a class, another that says it's free. I prefer online classes and this D!@# virus stopped in-person classes. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Personally, I wouldn't pay for an on-line class. Many local clubs are now looking into doing virtual classes using freely available teleconferencing software (unfortunately some are looking at Zoom which comes with an FBI warning). Stay tuned.

In the mean time you could do self study. Most clubs use the ARRL manual but there are many out there. Some give a great amount of additional information, some are just a regurgitation of the question pool that you can get for free. The FAQ has links to on-line test tools that you can use to test your knowledge as you go along.

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Huh? You don't need any ID number or Cert. to take a class. Assuming you are starting at the beginning as a Technician Class licensee, you don't need a FCC FRN number as long as you're willing to give up your SSN. That's only for testing and licensing though, not a class.

Personally, I wouldn't pay for an on-line class. Many local clubs are now looking into doing virtual classes using freely available teleconferencing software (unfortunately some are looking at Zoom which comes with an FBI warning). Stay tuned.

In the mean time you could do self study. Most clubs use the ARRL manual but there are many out there. Some give a great amount of additional information, some are just a regurgitation of the question pool that you can get for free. The FAQ has links to on-line test tools that you can use to test your knowledge as you go along.

Thanks. I'll get the ARRL manual and start there.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Thanks. I'll get the ARRL manual and start there.

I'd add that I took and passed all my tests through self study as I'm sure many others here did. Nothing against classes, they just didn't fit into my schedule. I know the AARC class also gives you some practical information to make you a better operator, not just pass the test.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I've read until my eyes started bleeding. ARRL has a ton of info, so much it makes it hard to find the actual beginning point of an online class. One link says I need ICS certification, then another says I need a SID number, then another says you don't need the SID. I found one website that charges $10 for a class, another that says it's free. I prefer online classes and this D!@# virus stopped in-person classes. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Don't just study to pass the test, study to learn it so you can get the most enjoyment and safety from this hobbby.

I highly recommend ARRL's technician manual:
    http://www.arrl.org/shop/Ham-Radio-License-Manual/?page=1

Amazon has it on Kindle here for $20:
    https://www.amazon.com/ARRL-Ham-Radio-License-Manual-ebook/dp/B07DFSW94G/

Before you start studying go to hamstudy.org. Register and take the tech test. It will keep track of your progress and help you focus on what you need to learn.

Then read the ARRL tech manual cover to cover. Take the hamstudy.org test again. The questions are categorized and hamstudy will tell you what area of the questions you need to study more. go back to the manual and re-read those chapters. Then keep taking the test again. Once you get comfortble with 90+ % then go take the test.

The only number you need to sign up for is with the FCC to get an FRN number. This is explained in the tech manual. When you go to take your test you need to provide a government ID number. You can use either your SSN or the FRN which you get from the FCC's website. Don't worry about this now until it comes time to take your test. The FCC's website is pretty fast so there's no delay in getting that.

For now just focus on studying the manual and taking the test. Feel free to ask questions--hams love to share knowledge. There's no charge for the test and they are working on setting up a remote test now given the current crisis.

It's not that hard, just stay focused, read the manual and ask questions. Myself or other hams on here would be happy to help. What helped me was to set a deadline of when I wanted to take the test. This helped me not push the studying off for another day.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I still think people over think this.

My ex passed her Tech+ (back in the day) by skimming the Radio Shack book on the way to the testing site.

This is not rocket science.

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    I have just started studying for my technician and it would be pretty great if I could take it remotely (due to the current downtime). Hopefully they can fully roll this out soon. I know there has likely been a pretty big boom in the industry lately with newcomers due to Covid.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Don't just study to pass the test, study to learn it so you can get the most enjoyment and safety from this hobbby.

That's the technically correct answer, but honestly I disagree. Study to pass the test. Just hammer through the questions and get it done. You can dive into your interests later.

There is so much useless, outdated crap that is handpicked from whoever made the question pool's personal interests that it's not worth devoting the time or effort. Nobody needs to know the difference in topologies of a colpitts oscillator. That's not going to teach you anything about how they work.

There is some useful stuff (basic antennas, grounding, propagation, etc.), and there is some stuff you need to know - legal stuff and band edges, etc. But you are not going to really learn much about how a radio works by staying for a ham test.

Your primary goal should be to pass the test and get on the air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom