• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Latest from FNP. A former Cresap member told me Jan Gardner said to his face she is committed to shutting down every range in Frederick. Cresap was just the easiest to go after first. I wish the NRA would be more on this.

-------------------------------

A rifle club shut down down by the city of Frederick over allegations of safety issues has returned fire, accusing the adjacent city range of safety problems of its own.

Cresap Rifle Club filed a lawsuit Sept. 19 saying that a tower at the nearby Frederick Police Department range presents a hazard because its height puts people in the tower and those at the Cresap range in danger of being hit.

Cresap’s attorney, Kurt Nachtman, asked that a judge order the police range at 6420 Plant Road closed.

“We continue to operate in good faith, and we’ve tried everything in our power to resolve this amicably,” Nachtman said in a phone interview, noting that the club pursued its own investigation of safety concerns at the range and offered to make improvements based on the findings.

The improvements are set to be complete next week, Nachtman said.

Cresap, a 60-member, volunteer-run shooting association with a nine-decade history, called in a safety expert over the course of the investigation who, according to last week’s filing, found the tower a danger.

No responses to the request to close the police range had been filed as of Monday, and City Attorney Saundra Nickols did not return a call for comment.

A spokeswoman for the police did not immediately return a message asking if the suit would have any impact on upcoming training.

The request is the second suit the club has filed against the city.

Police ordered the Cresap Rifle Club range shut down on April 26 because of safety concerns. The officer said that bullet and rock fragments created a hazard by entering the police range. The city also said the club did not have procedures in place to remove or contain the lead bullets used on the property.

Cresap responded with the first lawsuit July 18 alleging that when Frederick ordered the range closed it broke its lease and illegally kept the range from being occupied.

Being closed costs the organization around $1,200 in donations each week, according to the complaint, and losses were estimated to be $9,600 as of June 30. The club is asking to be reimbursed $1,200 for each week it was closed in addition to punitive damages of at least $75,000.

The club signed a 20-year lease with the city in 2001 to rent the space at a rate starting at $300 per month, according to the court record.

tmd99

Aug 22, 2015
    Frederick
    Latest from FNP. A former Cresap member told me Jan Gardner said to his face she is committed to shutting down every range in Frederick. Cresap was just the easiest to go after first. I wish the NRA would be more on this.

A rifle club shut down down by the city of Frederick over allegations of safety issues has returned fire, accusing the adjacent city range of safety problems of its own.

Cresap Rifle Club filed a lawsuit Sept. 19 saying that a tower at the nearby Frederick Police Department range presents a hazard because its height puts people in the tower and those at the Cresap range in danger of being hit.

Cresap’s attorney, Kurt Nachtman, asked that a judge order the police range at 6420 Plant Road closed.

“We continue to operate in good faith, and we’ve tried everything in our power to resolve this amicably,” Nachtman said in a phone interview, noting that the club pursued its own investigation of safety concerns at the range and offered to make improvements based on the findings.

Cresap, a 60-member, volunteer-run shooting association with a nine-decade history, called in a safety expert over the course of the investigation who, according to last week’s filing, found the tower a danger.

No responses to the request to close the police range had been filed as of Monday, and City Attorney Saundra Nickols did not return a call for comment.

A spokeswoman for the police did not immediately return a message asking if the suit would have any impact on upcoming training.

Police ordered the Cresap Rifle Club range shut down on April 26 because of safety concerns. The officer said that bullet and rock fragments created a hazard by entering the police range. The city also said the club did not have procedures in place to remove or contain the lead bullets used on the property.

Cresap responded with the first lawsuit July 18 alleging that when Frederick ordered the range closed it broke its lease and illegally kept the range from being occupied.

Being closed costs the organization around $1,200 in donations each week, according to the complaint, and losses were estimated to be $9,600 as of June 30. The club is asking to be reimbursed $1,200 for each week it was closed in addition to punitive damages of at least $75,000.

The club signed a 20-year lease with the city in 2001 to rent the space at a rate starting at $300 per month, according to the court record.

The NRA is very involved and Cresap appreciates the support of all of the divisions that have become involved from that organization all the way to the top. Cresap has received a green light from the City to complete "improvements" to reopen. When a timeline to reopen becomes more concrete, Cresap will put the information out through this thread. Thanks again for everyone's support from MDS.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Any possible way of posting a link to said story?

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy

This is what I was worried about with electing her, but the other choice was just as bad, but for other reasons.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    This is what I was worried about with electing her, but the other choice was just as bad, but for other reasons.

She’s also apparently a huge B&%*# judging from what a few people close to me have said after coming into contact with her. I would never vote for her, no matter how much Blaine Young sucks.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo

Color me suspicious, but she's the county Exec, not the Mayor, which means her control over city-related issues is next to nil. Unless she's got some major power to lean on the city over this, I would suspect her involvement is minimal.

Believe me, I'd much rather have a pro-2A, pro-smart development candidate in that position than Ms. Gardner, but the preservation of the county's schools, farmland, and smart growth definitely outweighed any reason to vote for Young.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Color me suspicious, but she's the county Exec, not the Mayor, which means her control over city-related issues is next to nil. Unless she's got some major power to lean on the city over this, I would suspect her involvement is minimal.

Believe me, I'd much rather have a pro-2A, pro-smart development candidate in that position than Ms. Gardner, but the preservation of the county's schools, farmland, and smart growth definitely outweighed any reason to vote for Young.

You are right about Gardner having zero control over city property. She may have a means of giving an opinion, but she won't get her hands dirty with a clusterfvck that the city made, unless it is to clean it up.

I voted against Young, because I know a lot of things that occurred under his direction. Given that he screwed over county employees as badly has he did, it is no surprise that Jan won so easily. County employees have long memories and do carry grudges against those who caused problems in the workplace.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    You are right about Gardner having zero control over city property. She may have a means of giving an opinion, but she won't get her hands dirty with a clusterfvck that the city made, unless it is to clean it up.

I voted against Young, because I know a lot of things that occurred under his direction. Given that he screwed over county employees as badly has he did, it is no surprise that Jan won so easily. County employees have long memories and do carry grudges against those who caused problems in the workplace.

Blaine is an awful candidate. I hope he never again runs for office as a member of any 2A rights supporting party in the county. I hated voting for him. My spouse cancelled out my vote as she can stand him even less.

As you said, this is a city move. And as I've heard, it might have come with the blessings and maybe even the behest of the Frederick Chief of Police after a federal agency expressed interest in helping local agencies expand their shooting range with an offer to subsidize facilities on Cresap property. I don't remember the political background of the current Chief of Police. But if any of the above is true, I wouldn't be surprised if he is a Bloomberg type when it comes to 2A rights of the citizenry.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016

Blaine is an awful candidate. I hope he never again runs for office as a member of any 2A rights supporting party in the county. I hated voting for him. My spouse cancelled out my vote as she can stand him even less.

As you said, this is a city move. And as I've heard, it might have come with the blessings and maybe even the behest of the Frederick Chief of Police after a federal agency expressed interest in helping local agencies expand their shooting range with an offer to subsidize facilities on Cresap property. I don't remember the political background of the current Chief of Police. But if any of the above is true, I wouldn't be surprised if he is a Bloomberg type when it comes to 2A rights of the citizenry.

Isn't the chief of police of any town or city appointed by the mayor whereas the sheriff is elected? The chief is going to be anti gun or the mayor(s) wouldn't hire them.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    There was outcry during the last Chief's hiring because it was done with minimal public disclosure ...

https://www.fredericknewspost.com/n...cle_7f174e76-0a7d-5185-8046-18890763ccff.html

Wonder who was consulted in this process.

Notably, the new Chief was also apparently po'ed that an off duty officer (not in uniform) was involved in a Blue Lives Matter rally ...

https://www.fredericknewspost.com/n...cle_47bdbde5-b732-5606-83c6-2363668a27a7.html

In the end, if the Frederick City police range is looking to expand, the police chief has minimally given blessings for it or is lobbying for it. The way the city went about trying to close the range and then refused to clarify what was deficient suggests that they already had a predetermined outcome but hadn't adequately hashed out the details of how to achieve it. Maybe the Mayor will reconsider and quash this effort (while seeking to remedy whatever issues the city perceived they had cause with).

SWI

May 4, 2017
    We are in the process of doing our regularly scheduled maintenance that was stopped by the city months ago. We should be completed with our work by the end of next week. Once our work has been inspected we will be reopening to the public. We're planning on doing a meet and greet/shoot for many of you who have stood by us through this first part of this episode. Even people who didn't stand by us and rehashed incidents from years ago will be welcomed. We promise to let you know as soon as we plan it. Your letters and calls really made a difference and FYI the NRA stepped up and continues to assist with anything we ask. We can't tell you the whole story because we are expecting to explain it to a judge very soon and don't want to injure our case. I have no idea who fidelity is but he's pretty darn close. When this is settled if it is at all possible we will tell you all about it. Thanks again for all the calls and letters.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    We are in the process of doing our regularly scheduled maintenance that was stopped by the city months ago. We should be completed with our work by the end of next week. Once our work has been inspected we will be reopening to the public. We're planning on doing a meet and greet/shoot for many of you who have stood by us through this first part of this episode. Even people who didn't stand by us and rehashed incidents from years ago will be welcomed. We promise to let you know as soon as we plan it. Your letters and calls really made a difference and FYI the NRA stepped up and continues to assist with anything we ask. We can't tell you the whole story because we are expecting to explain it to a judge very soon and don't want to injure our case. I have no idea who fidelity is but he's pretty darn close. When this is settled if it is at all possible we will tell you all about it. Thanks again for all the calls and letters.

Lol, congrats, and I'll shut up.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck

Any updates?

tmd99

Aug 22, 2015
    Frederick
    yes, a lot of work going on. berms at 50 and 100 yd rifle lines are about ready to go. pistol lines and berms being worked on as well. painting and repair of shooting benches, rifle racks, and other non essential improvements happening as well to prepare for reopening. Cresap hoping to open either the first or second weekend in november and cresap will give as much notice as possible to the 2a community and mds. of course, frederick city approval will be required which is why no specific date can be given yet but cresap is hopeful that reopening approval will not be delayed unnecessarily.

chino101

Jan 12, 2011
    Though I'm a member at a different range and stopped going to Cresap a while back, I may have to stop by to show support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom