• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    What firearm and what rate of fire?

I have a Armageddon gear cover, but used on a bolt gun. Covers are used to reduce mirage affecting your scope view.

I also have a Bowers cover for removal and transport if I need to leave quickly. :)

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I have a Cole-tac cover for a Specwar 762 (bolt gun)i use to reduce mirage. I don't use it for transport though. I got a plumbers pad from one of the box stores to wrap up the really hot suppressors for transport and set it down on things. But, I am liking the steel thermos idea. Chad mentioned this before and I forgot all about it.
    I was at the range with my son several weeks ago and we were running late. The can was hotter than hell. I had to wait a while for it to cool off enough to even set it down. I got the pad after that trip. I believe I had trouble finding a steel thermos (didn't look that hard) that was log enough for a Specwar. I think I will have to revisit that.
    I would not use anything that does not have a high heat rating on it.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    And the heat rating is my concern when trying the canvas tool bag. I have looked and can't find a max temperature for #10 cotton duck.

any help appreciated of course.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    that's also a very inexpensive solution. I'll see if the tool bag works. it it doesn't, a thermos will be next on the list.

i tried to find info on the max temperature for no. 10 canvas duck, but couldn't find any good info. guess a real world test in next.

That's how I've been transporting my suppressors. I just wrap it "taco style" in a silicone potholder first. Been fine for the last 6mos.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I have a TAB gear cover, but don't usually use it. It does help with mirage, but also traps heat. It's useful if you are shooting strings, followed by periods of waiting.

Last edited:

StillServing

I know NOTHING !
    Feb 1, 2011
    Calvert County
    My BIL works in industrial laundry textiles. I had him get me a NOMEX pouch that the can fits in. Slide it on, unscrew and leave in the bag. Seems to work pretty good.

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    I have several surplus barrel changing mitts that I use. I like to pull my cans off hot. Sometimes it can be difficult when they cool down after a lot of shooting. The additional airflow through the bore also helps. I have taken canned air to the range before to expedite the process.

For transport, I have the zippered cases that they sell at all the local gun shows. They work well, and as long as the cans are not skin melting hot, they will handle the heat.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    This is exactly why I asked. I waited to remove the can after it had cooled and it wouldn't budge. I finally got it loose but the darn 51T adapter unthreaded from the barrel.

Engage told me to remove the can when it was still hot to prevent the issue from reoccurring.

This is why I asked for a cover to put the hot can in.

Thanks for the suggestions.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    This is exactly why I asked. I waited to remove the can after it had cooled and it wouldn't budge. I finally got it loose but the darn 51T adapter unthreaded from the barrel.

Engage told me to remove the can when it was still hot to prevent the issue from reoccurring.

This is why I asked for a cover to put the hot can in.

Thanks for the suggestions.

That's why I use the Bowers cover. I slotted it and it grabs the can well and insulates my hand.

The way I modified and use it is only for removing and installing a hot can.

I have tried the things others have suggested and they don't work as good because they don't grab the can well.

FYI, that mount should NOT come loose, wether the gun is hot or cold. Degrease the mount and the barrel threads and use some fresh rocksett. Torque to AAC recommendation if you want, or if you want to maintain the best accuracy, tighten to 15-20 foot pounds and use fresh rocksett. It's possible loctite was used initially (It's awful to use for this application) or the rocksett was no good (I run across that often with the little tubes of rocksett from AAC).

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I did use the little tube that came with it. Last time I had Engage reinstall it with fresh Rocksett. I have not had an opportunity to get back to the range since they did it.

thanks for the tip Chad.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I have a Bowers CAC-9 with one of their Griptastic suppressor covers. My M11/9 shoots 600-900rpm range and I have emptied 3-4 mags and then grabbed the suppressor and it was warm but, not too hot to touch. I could easily handle the suppressor if I wanted to take it off or make sure it is still tight on the gun. I like their cover. Nice place to grab when firing if you want.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom