• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    I was recently gifted this carbine. I hope this doesn't come off as bragging, not my intention. But this one has me very excited.

The short end of the story. It was given to me by one of my first clients who quickly became a good friend. After a few quick jobs, he was so pleased he started giving me referrals and other business contacts.

I simply stopped billing him. A very nice guy with a passion for primary documentation on M1 Carbine Sniper rifles. With everyone he started sending my way, I had no problem just working him in for free. He is someone I consider a pleasure to help.

He just sent me this carbine as a gift of thanks.

He went even further to put together a 45 page booklet detailing the rifle's individual history. How the carbines ended up in Bavarian Police custody, which region this particular rifle was assigned, how it ended up in Austria and in which particular police force.

He detailed every part and marking. He even detailed who made the stock, why and why the type of wood was selected. He included several pictures of German and Austrian police forces using these carbines in the post war era. Then how it ended up being shipped back to the CMP for sales to the public several years ago.

I was sincerely taken back by all of this, needless to say the rifle is going to be properly cared for. I understand most collectors prefer "as left factory new condition." But I must say after reviewing all this material, it's one of my favorites and will always be.

Here are some pictures

(I redacted his information to respect his privacy)

5xYNAix.jpg

wYK36YK.jpg

gyluSWS.jpg

q8q2UH1.jpg

a48gf8c.jpg

KOR872P.jpg

08AUAdj.jpg

iChg3CC.jpg

CdwbOqc.jpg

34rVH5N.jpg

VVnVu21.jpg

X5Zlt2g.jpg

JE9dSme.jpg

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Thats a good one. I remember when they were being offered through the CMP and just never had enough interest in carbines to get one. I think the way you got yours is a whole lot better, through an associate turned friend.
    So much better I think. It's nice to see you get a return for all the hard work you do and then share with others. Thats a keeper for sure, glad I looked in to see this.

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Thats a good one. I remember when they were being offered through the CMP and just never had enough interest in carbines to get one. I think the way you got yours is a whole lot better, through an associate turned friend.
    So much better I think. It's nice to see you get a return for all the hard work you do and then share with others. Thats a keeper for sure, glad I looked in to see this.

Honestly, I had no interest in them either, I was (am) a M1903 guy. I always thought save up and get a "pristine" early example if I was to get a carbine. But between the detailed history on this piece and the now sentimental value. It's one of my favorites (and I know almost nothing about carbines).

If nothing else I was thinking about this. I have never met him in person, only e-mail and spoken on the phone. He hired me because it was easier to hire me.

But with all this negative anti-gun media coverage due to the violence going on. No one really realizes how awesome the gun collecting community can be, beyond simply wanting to own a particular firearm. I don't think the gun control advocates can see how we look at the firearms we seek to collect. There's a very real tangible history to them.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Honestly, I had no interest in them either, I was (am) a M1903 guy. I always thought save up and get a "pristine" early example if I was to get a carbine. But between the detailed history on this piece and the now sentimental value. It's one of my favorites (and I know almost nothing about carbines).

If nothing else I was thinking about this. I have never met him in person, only e-mail and spoken on the phone. He hired me because it was easier to hire me.

But with all this negative anti-gun media coverage due to the violence going on. No one really realizes how awesome the gun collecting community can be, beyond simply wanting to own a particular firearm. I don't think the gun control advocates can see how we look at the firearms we seek to collect. There's a very real tangible history to them.

I fail to see what isn't pristine about that carbine? Its cleaner than 90% that I see and has a much more interesting history. Nice firearm and story.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Soon it will be a race to preserve history. Historical artifacts such as weaponry will need to be protected for posterity and kept as primary evidence of the evolution of civilization. What gun control advocates really want to do is destroy heritage and then identity shortly thereafter.
    The reason they cannot understand how they are viewed by some persons is that they are lack in their own affinity for some unknown reason and that void has been supplanted with envy or hate and then overcome with a twisted desire to be part of something that makes them feel successful. More than likely a plateau they are not able to achieve by making accomplishments own their own due to individual deficiencies such as good decision making or by having a solid moral foundation, E.g. losers.

They are also plagued by the problem of not having courage enough to gather them own there own, so they strongly feel the need to involve the authorities to do it for them who will capitulate like poor parents to make the problem go away.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I'm curious as to how your friend was able to track the lineage. Impressive detective work! And a very nice gift. May we all be blessed with such friends.

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    I'm curious as to how your friend was able to track the lineage. Impressive detective work! And a very nice gift. May we all be blessed with such friends.

I think he told me some of how he worked on that project, but I honestly didn't commit it memory.

And to be honest I have never really been that into carbines (because of market value). I know he did a lot of international collaborating with various resources in Europe. I just don't remember the specifics.

I was using his resource website on carbines for years before I started working with him.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    I have a Bavarian and they can be some of the best as original rifles that did not get the post war rebuild process

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom