• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    When I was a LEO and restricted to revolvers, I carried either a .38 Special Colt Cobra or Detective Special off-duty...usually the Cobra due to its lighter weight. When we transitioned to self-loading pistols I carried a .45 ACP Colt Lightweight Commander off-duty. If I was able to now I would carry either the same Commander, a Colt Defender or my Glock 30...all in .45 ACP of course. The other pistol I might carry depending on how I dressed would be my Kimber Solo Carry 9mm...small and very concealable. My Glock 29 in 10mm might be interesting to carry but the .45 is more controllable in such a short barreled piece.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Honestly my Glock 43 is sufficient. It's a balance between concealability and comfort. I could carry my Glock 20 around but just like I have no desire to carry a brick around with me nor do I feel like carrying that.

357Max

Feb 28, 2019
    Crownsville
    I only carry out of state on a Utah nonresident permit, so my year round experience is less, but my favorite general propose carry is the Walther P99 AS Compact (which is Glock 26 sized). I love the AS trigger in a carry gun, plus the flexible 10-15 rd capacity. In many ways, it has the reliability of a revolver in a semiautomatic. While striker-fired, it's unique trigger can be pulled again if the shot wasn't in battery or the primer strike was insufficient. Moreover one can decock a loaded gun to a double-action mode requiring a stronger trigger pull on the first shot. I carry this way in the holster. Subsequent shots are 'single-action' with an easy take-up and then a clean break (which the PPQ trigger is based off of). If there's a problem, the second pull is the 'double-action' one. Friends who've shot the gun for the first time get tight groups at 10 yards.

I have also carried a Glock 19, Glock 32, Walther PPS M2, Sig P238, Kimber K6S, Colt Cobra (2017), and Ruger SP101 at different times and in different circumstances (and have range experience drawing from a holster with all, as well as IPDA experience with a couple a these). All do the job. But despite being 10-year old tech, if I want a relatively compact gun that I have complete confidence in (even without recent range time with it), it's the Walther P99 AS Compact.

Dammit this is going to cost me! The P99c AS does look like an ideal carry set up. And at this price it's hard to pass. My first choice would be 9mm, but I'm sure I can get use to the 40.

https://shoot-straight.com/product/walther-p99c-as-40sw-81-semi-auto-handgun/

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Dammit this is going to cost me! The P99c AS does look like an ideal carry set up. And at this price it's hard to pass. My first choice would be 9mm, but I'm sure I can get use to the 40.

https://shoot-straight.com/product/walther-p99c-as-40sw-81-semi-auto-handgun/

Very nice price, but it says they don't ship to MD. Also, 40 S&W from a small gun is probably snappy.

Try the Walther PPS M2 if you get a chance. Super accurate for a small gun (many YouTubers come to the same conclusion when shooting against other small 9mm guns), not expensive (deals around $300-330), and available in 9mm. It doesn't have the decocker, but the trigger is well done. Not super light, so unlikely to pull through in the heat of the moment ... but breaks decently so that shots go where you want (hitting a 2-inch square at 5 yards repeatedly is doable ... makes one wonder if it's a PPK given the accuracy). The trigger reset is quick too. There's a range of single-stack mags for it that hold 6, 7, or 8 rounds. I find the 7-rd mag to conceal well in the pistol when carrying, and bring the 8-rd one as a spare.

357Max

Feb 28, 2019
    Crownsville
    Fidelity-I'll check that one out before making a decision. Thanks for the advice.

This will be my first compact handgun so the experience of those that have owned many is much appreciated!

deputyG23

Oct 8, 2017
    S&W 442 pocket carried is my EDC off duty sometimes supplemented with a belt carried Glock or .38 service size revolver.

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    Hk p30sk for me. Prefer hammer fired guns. I practice with them so am used to the da/sa change. Ran over 500 rds through the hk in about 1.5 hours doing drills. Not a single hiccup to date. Love that little pistola

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    Clearly the best choice is an a suppressed 300 Blackout AR Pistol under a very tight tee shirt with short shorts and a top hat.
    But seriously though, a compact size handgun is comfortable enough inside the waistband for me. If only Maryland would let me protect myself there are plenty of decent models. Out in the woods I don't mind my revolver with night sights either.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Paranoia is not so bad a thing. After the BPD got mugged by 3 guys who jumped out of an SUV 5 blocks from me, i started to rethink carry. No coat pocket in the summer to carry a sw 36 or 642, and the g43 is only 7 rds. Put the 43 away and went back to a G33. Would like to have a sig 365 with a 10 or 12 rd mag but can’t justify it. Yet.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Paranoia is not so bad a thing. After the BPD got mugged by 3 guys who jumped out of an SUV 5 blocks from me, i started to rethink carry. No coat pocket in the summer to carry a sw 36 or 642, and the g43 is only 7 rds. Put the 43 away and went back to a G33. Would like to have a sig 365 with a 10 or 12 rd mag but can’t justify it. Yet.

At what point is one justified to open fire on the 3 guys though?

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    Popular thread, no one will read this. Let the paranoia flow...

Concealed as best as possible. Glock 23 Compact. 40. 180gr, 13 rnds.

Open sidearm. Glock 22, most likely with 400 lumen light, may or may not include 22 rnd mags. You know, zombies, darkseekers. Scifi you know.

Rolling out of a car, 12 ga. #4 buck or 00. Most personal rules of engagement will require yelling distant close. I Consider pistol grip cylinder bore fastest option. Much prefer Tac semiauto with full or modified choke. Mostly chosen at my "Dukes of Hazard/ moonshine" phase.

Seeing the need, though unlikely. I accept the AR Carbine with 30+ mags for sufficient suppression fire from point blank to 100m +.

Falling back to auxiliary. A heavy scoped rifle and a derringer. I like the the tiny .380. Looking at the Bosnian civil war and gamblers like Maverick.

Thinking under fire is not easily learned. First best option is flatten to the ground and scramble for cover then reassess best options.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Heart says Browning Hi Power

Head says Glock 23

My BHP would be my choice as well. If feels so good in my hand and is fairly small for a full size 9mm, slide wise. I have the SFS installed on my FN marked HiPower. It's a nice safety feature and easy to manipulate.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    At what point is one justified to open fire on the 3 guys though?

Only when you have a reasonable belief that you or another are threatened with imminent bodily harm or death. Three guys getting out of an suv and aggressively approaching you at night. Hand On your gun. Gun at your side, or in your pocket. Weapons appear or they close in on you after you order them away...to back up. Split second Judgment call that trials are made of. A real nightmare. What would you do? What should you do?

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Only when you have a reasonable belief that you or another are threatened with imminent bodily harm or death. Three guys getting out of an suv and aggressively approaching you at night. Hand On your gun. Gun at your side, or in your pocket. Weapons appear or they close in on you after you order them away...to back up. Split second Judgment call that trials are made of. A real nightmare. What would you do? What should you do?

Brought up with the person that did my training/local FFL you visited. Response was to comply and give up the wallet without any resistance. If the wallet has been given up and the demand is made to follow to another location (ie secondary site) act accordingly.

In your scenario you draw and they continue to approach just to test you, you take out all 3 and they were found to be completely unarmed. Not saying right or wrong. I carry USCCA because of the above. It’s an absolute nightmare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom