• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    We had a visit last week from a BGE rep talking about a program to replace all of our existing fluorescent lighting with LED lighting. Today they came back with the results their audit and proposal.

It sounds too good to be true so I was hoping some business owner here has already done this.

Here is a quick summary of their proposal.

Replace 43 2x4 95w fixtures with 35w LED panels

Replace 22 8ft 110w Shop fixtures with 40w High Output LED Fixtures.

They calculated our current lighting cost savings at $206 month.

The cost to do the change over is $31,680

There is some Maryland taxpayer funded program called Empower Maryland and that program would cover about $21K of the cost.

BGE then covers $5500 then there is $1000 from some other program and the finance our portion and we pay about $380 a month for 12 months.

That comes out to an additional $174 per month for the first year and our cost is paid off after 23 months.

It looks like we have to commit to a 7 year agreement.

I looked at doing this on my own buying the lights and having my own guys swap out the bulbs and that would cost me about $2600. However the bulbs I can find are not as bright or energy efficient as the BGE proposal. Also BGE will replace the fixtures themselves which cost a lot more than just the bulbs. Many of the office ceiling light fixtures are as old as the building and thats at least 35yrs old. So the DIY solution would cost a little less, payoff sooner, but wont be esthetic upgrade or an improvement in lighting.

So if anyone has done this for their business or knows about the program, I would to hear those opinions.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Take a look at your residential BGE bill and you should see the Empower BS charges.

The politicians talk "Green" all the time. All this program does is pay off businesses to do these type of "green" upgrades. They get their cut via political donations to their campaigns, and PR capital (look at all this energy we saved because of this program, vote for me). If the people who believed in the green hype actually knew what was being done with their money, most would not support it.

That being said, I know for sure that one of my customers in Salisbury replaced all of their outdoor lighting last year under this program. I think their install was a little over $60k before the program benefits.

The LED panels are as bright if not brighter than metal halides they replaced, and they turn on instantly. Plus the fact you are getting a warranty on the new panels, and not having to replace the bulbs ($$ for the bulbs, and the bucket truck roll to install them).

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I had my office and warehouse done a few years ago. It’s a great deal (subsidized by all the ratepayers). I was in the same boat as you in that my lights were all old anyway and I was occasionally replacing a ballast here and there. I’m not sure I saved as much money on electric as they said I would but the whole thing was still a win for me.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    LED lighting draws much less amperage than other lighting types, hence the lower electric costs. While I agree with what has been said above, it also reduces the need for new generation capacity which also contributes to lower the costs.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    My landlord finally got off his butt and did this in my shop about 15 months ago. He owed me some sort of light (almost half were not working when I signed the lease) and it only took him 5+ years to make it happen.

My electric bill prior to the change was running $85 - $140/mo and is currently running $85 - $140/mo after the change.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    My landlord finally got off his butt and did this in my shop about 15 months ago. He owed me some sort of light (almost half were not working when I signed the lease) and it only took him 5+ years to make it happen.

My electric bill prior to the change was running $85 - $140/mo and is currently running $85 - $140/mo after the change.

So you now have 100% of the lights working and your bill is about the same?

I’m just trying to verify the savings that they are proposing in their plan.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    So you now have 100% of the lights working and your bill is about the same?

I’m just trying to verify the savings that they are proposing in their plan.

Correct.

There are 12 lights in the warehouse portion and two never worked and two others had bad ballasts or whatever it is that caused the light to come on but not energize and light up completely so I'm sure my bill would have been a little higher but I'm definitely not seeing the massive savings that were promised.

Of course I didn't pay to swap out the lights and the bill isn't that high to begin with so I'm not super pissed about it.

DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    When I relamped my pharmacy - about 2000 sq ft. there was a rebate from potomac edison for led conversion.

i had a local spark chaser come and quote the job. it was the same cost to replace the troffer 2x4's as to chop out the ballast and rewire.

it did cut my electric bill about 40% -

replaced an even mix of t8 and t12. fixtures wih 4 bulbs - down to 2 led strips.

brighter and cheaper in the long run.

be sure to check out the color range on the led's as compared with your current light plan.

i wanted the 'cool white' equivalent, but on seeing one with the added brightness, it was too harsh for a retail shop.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Go with dedicated LED fixtures rather than LED replacement bulbs. The bulbs are not nearly as bright. With two 4-ft dedicated LED shop lights, my entire basement is lit up like broad daylight. It is stupid bright compared to fluorescent or LED bulbs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom