• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Is the Harbor Freight 6 ton press adequate for bending AK receivers (to be configured in accordance with Maryland law, of course)? Or is it better to bite the bullet and get the 20 ton press? They’re both cheap enough but 6 ton press takes up way less room.

easy

Nov 25, 2011
    SEOK
    HF 20 ton press has a built in issue. The 'peg' on the cross beam is not square to the beam. They didn't tack weld on opposite sides first. Just ran the weld around the peg and it tilted on the three that I've seen. Same issue on all.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    The 6 ton workbench model has issues too. The rod is not square to the crossbeam. The whole frame doesn't want to remain square. You need to add additional bracing.
    The split base requires putting a steel plate down to hold many items which hurts due to the limited vertical movement. The width is pretty narrow for much more than a small wheel hub. Even pushing barrel pins, ecector pins, etc in and out of receivers can be stifled by the height limitations.
    You can see the whole frame flex when pushing old bearing races out of hubs. I sometime feel like it's going to blow apart before I hear that big POP! when a race moves.

It isn't big enough to do the AK flats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom