• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    I would not use V-max on deer or large game. I did take a nice 8 point with my ar-15 using .223 62 grain psp rounds from freedom munitions. The ammo is cheap enough that I put lot's of rounds down range and was very happy with result's. If you are planning on using it on deer or deer size game you need to do your part and make sure you shot is perfect. I think its around $100 for 250 rounds. which is alot better than $20+ for 20 rounds.

JLaff

Dec 12, 2012
    Maryland
    I'm trying to stick to 55gr. And I'll only be using it on small game. The rounds stu929 linked are $8 a box. Might have to go with those.

JLaff

Dec 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Pmc isn't flashy but i have had great luck with some of their hunting ammo in the past.

Flashy is as useful as a screen door on a submarine. As long as they preform they could have ponies and rainbows all over them for all I care. On a side note I looked into those Howard Leight muffs and they are a far shot better than the ones I have now. I may have just made a last minute change to my Christmas list.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    48 with free shipping from amazon I believe and I wore them three days for the whole day and the batteries AAA's are still working :-)

wasntme

Jun 10, 2012
    I would not use V-max on deer or large game. I did take a nice 8 point with my ar-15 using .223 62 grain psp rounds from freedom munitions. The ammo is cheap enough that I put lot's of rounds down range and was very happy with result's. If you are planning on using it on deer or deer size game you need to do your part and make sure you shot is perfect. I think its around $100 for 250 rounds. which is alot better than $20+ for 20 rounds.

To each his own, I know what works well for my conditions and I have never second guessed a shot nor do I question my abilities. If your a good shooter and with proper shot placement a 50gr v-max bullet can be devistating. Last year on my farm I filled 47 crop damage permit tags with my ruger M77 shooting the same round.

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    silver state armory has 63 grain soft point in .223. thats what i take when i take the ar for a little hunting

kingstrider

Dec 10, 2011
    That's crazy. I bought a thousand Hornady soft points a few months ago at a gun show for $100 which is enough to keep me going for a while. Always amazed that people pay what they do for factory fodder.

JLaff

Dec 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Here is what the PPU 55gr did at 100 yards. Don't mind the one on the right.

1E70EEF2-6373-4145-AF9E-C9303006DF6F-8739-00000384ACE11247.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom