The passenger or the TSA goon?

Not the TSA goon.

He’ll get a stern talking to.

Wow that’ll help.

TSA=STA=Security theatre administration

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    Was this a stunt? Even if this was real why would he speak up in japan of all countries opposed to keeping his head down?

The only plausible explanation I can come up with is that the man is crazy and/or he is a pawn to make some anti-shutdown news.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Was this a stunt? Even if this was real why would he speak up in japan of all countries opposed to keeping his head down?

The only plausible explanation I can come up with is that the man is crazy and/or he is a pawn to make some anti-shutdown news.

The article implies that he reported it to the airline, who reported it to TSA. My guess is he realized what happened and reported it before going through customs.

It probably would have been worse to have reported it to Japanese authorities, and much worse to have been caught without reporting.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The article implies that he reported it to the airline, who reported it to TSA. My guess is he realized what happened and reported it before going through customs.

It probably would have been worse to have reported it to Japanese authorities, and much worse to have been caught without reporting.

Ed Zachary

Knuckle Dragger

May 7, 2012
    Not at all surprising. Last year I walked through security in Boston with a rather large folding SOG knife in my backpack. Not a peep from TSA.

shmuel2004

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 1, 2016
    Pikesville, MD
    Ditto. First thought he was an idiot for saying anything, but it would have been much worse if they caught him at customs. I wonder if he could have disassembled it, slipped it into his checked bag and then declared it?

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Ditto. First thought he was an idiot for saying anything, but it would have been much worse if they caught him at customs. I wonder if he could have disassembled it, slipped it into his checked bag and then declared it?

Not in Japan. He'd probably get decades in jail.

How the hell he didn't know not to take it is ridiculous. Notifying the airline so he could get intercepted was probably the least expensive option he could have taken.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Years ago I had a woman TSA agent in Atlanta walk me around the security checkpoint. I had no idea what was going on, just followed her "orders".

She had recognized me. I had flown to/through ATL before. :shrug: She for some reason thought I was an Air Marshal. After I told her I wasn't she said let's keep this our little secret, and had me continue on. TSA at it's finest.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    They fail 95% of their internal tests. So what's new ?

But that's not limited to TSA. I flew from Frankfurt to JFK with a knife in my pocket a year after 9-11. Back then they made you go through two layers of checks in the terminal for all JFK and Tel Aviv flights and neither of the officious acting officials managed to pick up on it.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    As I stated, it’s theater not security.

Want real security?

Ask the Israelis

Have you flown on El Al? The total number of flights each day would come close to the number of daily flights out of Cleveland. Not even close to; ORD, LAS, ATL, LGA, LAX, etc... Airline passengers in the U.S. don't like standing in line for 30 minutes or arriving at airports two hours before a flight. It would take generations of change to get Americans to accept the type of screening that goes on in Israel.

Apples and Kumquats.

Our governments can't keep deadly weapons out of prisons, where inmates are stripped searched and subjected to routine room inspections. The number of vulnerabilities in any decent sized airport makes security about as reasonable as locking down any retail shopping center. U.S. airports are just another "gun free zone" waiting for someone willing to make a political statement, IMO.

Something about trading liberty for security comes to mind.

Be safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom