• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Just picked up a MEC 600jr for $16 . Bottles for shot or powder not present.

So tell me what I need/ want/ ought to know .

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    1. Buy a powder scale.
    2. The powder bushings usually throw lighter than what the chart states but it’s not enough to cause a problem.
    3. When tipping back the bottles be sure to support them. The shot bottle can break. MEC sells a support bracket. And the cap can come out spilling shot everywhere. You will curse yourself when you spill shot.
    4. Follow the loads listed on the powder manufacturer’s websites. Don’t change components (wad, primer, powder).
    5. I’m sure there are YouTube videos showing how the machine operates. I can answer specific questions relating to any issue you may run into.
    6. I don’t know where you live but there’s limited options for buying components. I go to Shyda’s once or twice a year for supplies with a buddy or two. PG Trap and Skeet will have components. They’re just more expensive.
    7. I can recommend some component choices once you confirm it’s a 12ga loader.
    8. Buy this powder baffle. It works better than the rubber and brass washers.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/PC-Mec-Powde...577336?hash=item2f0b736ef8:g:yNoAAOSwNKRXiV2M

That should get you started. I can answer any additional questions you may have. Either here or by pm. More than happy to help.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    PG Trap and Skeet sells the necessary reloading supplies. If Morgan is still working there is can get you set up.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Just picked up a MEC 600jr for $16 . Bottles for shot or powder not present.

So tell me what I need/ want/ ought to know .

Just saw this post.

I've got an old MEC 600 Jr. (pre MkV).
    It's ancient.

The only things I've done to this old loader, is replace the broken wad guide (was copper) with a 'new and improved' orange plastic wad guide.
    That was in 1979. Cost a whoppin' $2.00 at Accokeek Sports!

I don't know how others feel about them, but, I bought a "Universal Charge Bar" and IMNSHO, it's a POS.

Some guy wanted it, and it found a new home, instantly.

LOVE this old MEC.

I did pick up a MEC 9000 some guy at work had for sale. He only loaded a box or two with it.

It sits on the loading bench.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Just saw this post.

It's ancient.

The only things I've done to this old loader, is replace the broken wad guide (was copper) with a 'new and improved' orange plastic wad guide.

I don't know how others feel about them, but, I bought a "Universal Charge Bar" and IMNSHO, it's a POS.

LOVE this old MEC.

I did pick up a MEC 9000 some guy at work had for sale. He only loaded a box or two with it.

did the universal charge bar thing, didn't care for it, went back to
    buying different bushings, some people like it...some hate it..

Have an older Mec 650, picked up newer 650 and Grabber from
    some members on Castboolits.
    Mainly on the prawl for another P&W 800B or 800C
    got back into reloading 12ga. not to long ago..yeah
    I know you can buy it cheaper (12ga.)..

@Biggfoot44
    Good find.. see if you can get a manual for it.
    Try Greentop for some things you need
    Here is the manual for the Mark V if you what it:
    https://www.mecshootingsports.com/Content/documents/600JrMark5.pdf

also there is a discussion about it here:
    https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=401124

-Rock

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Just saw this post.

It's ancient.

LOVE this old MEC.

If you load more than a box or two of shells at a time, you'll love that 9000....so will your arm, 9000 completes a shell every pull, vs. 6 pulls per shell on the 600 Jr. Yeah, it can take some getting used to, but it's worth it.

I have 9000's for 12 and 20 gauge. I can process around 6-8 boxes an hour, if I put my mind to it.

My Dad has a 9000 on an automate (electric, hold two buttons down{keeps your hands out of the machine}cycles press mechanically) for 12 gauge, 9000s manuals for 20 and 28 gauge, and a 600 Jr. for .410.

BTW - IF you re-box your reloaded shells, the MEC EzPack is worth it's weight in gold. Nice little tilted rack that lets you quickly stack the shells, then you slide the box over the rack, turn it over, and done.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom