"It is legal to bait deer except on State-owned or State-controlled properties."

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MSC

Jan 11, 2015
    Frederick County, MD
    Hi all, the thread topic is a cut and paste from the online Maryland Guide to Hunting and Trapping regs page online.

I have a few farmed acres that I hunt on with a crop damage permit off season and during season hoping to see a buck. Never baited deer here before at any time, there seem to be enough. And not sure what I think about it either, is it "sport" to bait them?

Maybe them coming to the field to eat the timothy, it is our crop, is a form of bait. It certainly is food, and our crop. But what about salt or apples or acorns placed my shooting alley. Somehow it feels unsporting to bait, but is not a cover crop the same thing?

Also I've heard talk about shooting deer at a bait station is not allowed in some states, but it is not mentioned in the Maryland Hunting Guide. Even if allowed, is it a bad thing?

Another related issue here is that the bucks seem to be completely nocturnal. I've seen two in four years and they were both out of season and just two pointers. Clearly they are here because the does just keep coming. What about baiting during antler season only, maybe that would bring some bucks out in the day time?

Just for a little background, I have been deer hunting for a few years did not grow up with it. I take about 5-8 per year for the last three years and they are all either consumed at home or I give processed meat to family and friends. Have not used the donation program yet but would if I could not eat and/or give away the meat.

Not looking for a right or wrong, and mixed a few related but different topics in this post, but would like to hear your thoughts on baiting deer in general and any other angle you may have. Thanks much

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Nobody ever complained about killing a nice book near a Milo pile. Or at least they leave that part out of their social media page. Every year I picked up some nice dead heads on the Bear Creek that more than likely were foul shot on drives when I lived in PA. Picked up some nice ones here at home that lazy hunters couldn't find or track into a cut-over that more than likely were poorly shot over or near bait. Most inside 100yds! Only you can decide the morality of which method you choose. Most inexperienced hunters rush the shot anyway due to a self imposed time/pressure trap that's not there. If you control your own ground, you decide, that's whats important. Its bad enough for us to have so much outside influence that predetermines our actions or sometimes worse our own thoughts. Killing in any form is neither pretty or glamorous but sometimes necessary. Its up to you to decide when your the one committing the act. I wouldn't worry about it, hunting with dogs, over bait or driving are methods that have been in use for thousands of years.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Deer aren't endangered, so I'm not ethically offended about baiting. Maybe it's not traditional, but if it's legal, then why not? It doesn't guarantee that they'll come when you want them to.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Deer are overpopulated in Central MD, eat everything, and destroy habitat for birds, amphibians, and other animals. They are a nuisance. Kill more deer, by any means necessary. Try to hit your bag limit for does. Donate what you can't eat. Then get up in the stand and get another one.

If you don't think it's "hunting" you can call it "primitive farming in the woods with a weapon," to make yourself feel better. After all, the only difference between domesticated animals and wild animals is that we enclose them to make sure they do not get away when its time to eat them.

c-03003

Sep 6, 2011
    Fort Washington, MD
    Baiting may not be "ethical" based on the point of view of some, but 100% legal in your situation. Do what you want to do and what makes you happy. You mentioned that you consume the meat or give it away so the deer is not wasted.

I, like you, didn't grow up hunting. We didn't have that where I came from but I taught myself a few years ago. If baiting for deer makes you enjoy hunting more and gives you a "slight advantage", then best of luck.

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    Just plant some hydrangea bushes. They feast on mine all summer. Had one last night laying in my yard and it barely had the courtesy to stand up when I took the dogs out. No respect anymore....

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If you were baiting them and wasting them, yeah I'd consider that unethical. But I'd feel the same way about hunting. I guess it depends on the context. It makes me uncomfortable, but hell if I only had a few acres I'd consider baiting. I shout I'd hunt over bait a bunch, but I also really like venison in the freezer and a few bags of corn a year is a lot cheaper than the same amount of beef and healthier too. Unless I had time issues or health issues, I doubt I'd shoot more than one over bait.

If I also like going out there and stalking, not being sure where they might show up, etc. course even with bait no guarantees.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The only real issue I have with bait, esp corn, is that if you nick the stomach (or worse) it stinks like vomit. So be careful! I can take the smell of a stomach of a normal browser fed deer. Not much worse than Taco Bell reruns. Damn, though, stomachs of deer that have eaten corn are awful.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I can't rightly speak to that one way or another, but at least stripping them, it doesn't smell till I cut the esphogus at the end to pull everything out. Then it stinks. Never gut shot one.

Hi all, the thread topic is a cut and paste from the online Maryland Guide to Hunting and Trapping regs page online.

I have a few farmed acres that I hunt on with a crop damage permit off season and during season hoping to see a buck. Never baited deer here before at any time, there seem to be enough. And not sure what I think about it either, is it "sport" to bait them?

Maybe them coming to the field to eat the timothy, it is our crop, is a form of bait. It certainly is food, and our crop. But what about salt or apples or acorns placed my shooting alley. Somehow it feels unsporting to bait, but is not a cover crop the same thing?

Also I've heard talk about shooting deer at a bait station is not allowed in some states, but it is not mentioned in the Maryland Hunting Guide. Even if allowed, is it a bad thing?

Another related issue here is that the bucks seem to be completely nocturnal. I've seen two in four years and they were both out of season and just two pointers. Clearly they are here because the does just keep coming. What about baiting during antler season only, maybe that would bring some bucks out in the day time?

Just for a little background, I have been deer hunting for a few years did not grow up with it. I take about 5-8 per year for the last three years and they are all either consumed at home or I give processed meat to family and friends. Have not used the donation program yet but would if I could not eat and/or give away the meat.

Not looking for a right or wrong, and mixed a few related but different topics in this post, but would like to hear your thoughts on baiting deer in general and any other angle you may have. Thanks much
    There is nothing wrong or "unsporting" to bait... who would be the judging panel or committee to which baiting would be judged as taboo? If you want, I can give a thumbs up from the Chippewa tribe....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom